Germany: CDU elects Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer to succeed Angela Merkel
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:52:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germany: CDU elects Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer to succeed Angela Merkel
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Germany: CDU elects Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer to succeed Angela Merkel  (Read 763 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2018, 01:23:55 AM »

Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer was voted successor to Angela Merkel as leader of the Christian Democratic Union (CDU) at the party's conference in Hamburg on Friday.

In a razor-thin decision (517-482 votes), the centrist politician received 52 percent of the vote from delegates in a second-round runoff against her main rival, the businessman and traditional conservative Friedrich Merz. The third candidate, Jens Spahn, was eliminated in the first round.

Addressing delegates ahead of the vote, Kramp-Karrenbauer spoke of perceptions that she was a "mini-Merkel," saying: "People consider me a copy, just more of the same, but I can tell you that I stand here as my own person, as myself."

Kramp-Karrenbauer, who was the state premier of Saarland between 2011 and 2018, was Merkel's favored successor. She has served as the CDU's secretary general since February.

Merkel remains Germany's chancellor and can look forward to working with a close ally at the head of her party. But given that German chancellors are almost always party heads, AKK, as she's known, must now be considered a favorite to succeed Merkel in Germany's top political post as well.

https://www.dw.com/en/annegret-kramp-karrenbauer-voted-successor-to-angela-merkel-as-head-of-christian-democrats/a-46631501
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 10:37:06 AM »

Good, Germany will continue as a center-point of the western alliance, and the CDU will stay centrist. Also this helps Merkel.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 11:07:09 AM »

Good, Germany will continue as a center-point of the western alliance, and the CDU will stay centrist. Also this helps Merkel.

Because Germany suddenly would become an inward-looking, anti-EU illiberal regime if Merz had won amirite? Merz would have been more conservative on domestic issues (taxes, crime, immigration, etc), but Merz remains a part of the German political establishment. With a bit of creativity one could actually see Merz as the most globalist candidate lol (he definitely was the most Atlanticist candidate).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 12:37:17 PM »

She needs to change her name to Ann Karrenbauer.  That gobbledygook name wont work and AKK is no alternative.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:16:22 PM »

Because Germany suddenly would become an inward-looking, anti-EU illiberal regime if Merz had won amirite? Merz would have been more conservative on domestic issues (taxes, crime, immigration, etc), but Merz remains a part of the German political establishment. With a bit of creativity one could actually see Merz as the most globalist candidate lol (he definitely was the most Atlanticist candidate).
Didn't comment on Merz, AKK is better for what I said above however.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies