Bolsonaro sworn in as new POBRA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:21:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bolsonaro sworn in as new POBRA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bolsonaro sworn in as new POBRA  (Read 2377 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »

The end is nigh ...

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »

Here goes the Amazon...

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:39:28 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 02:38:58 PM »

This is legitimately terrifying.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »

RIP Brazil
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 06:48:20 PM »

He should have died after that stabbing. I know y'all respectability civilty hacks hate hearing that but the danger he poses against the environment and Brazilian democracy are too high. I wouldn't be surprised if he gradually turns Brazil into a dictatorship.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 07:08:35 PM »

He should have died after that stabbing. I know y'all respectability civilty hacks hate hearing that but the danger he poses against the environment and Brazilian democracy are too high. I wouldn't be surprised if he gradually turns Brazil into a dictatorship.

Killing Bolsonaro, then and now, wouldn't have solved anything given who his VP is.
King Saul
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 07:31:40 PM »

If he had died that way, he would be even more deified by those who agree with him ("Myth," "Myth," "Captain") and he has 3 adult children involved in politics, now imagine if one of his sons ran for president in the future in this scenario with the argument that "They did not let my father save Brazil", would probably be elect president.

I'm from Brazil and I did not vote and I did not like that he was elected (they had several other options, in 13 candidates), but I understand that him being assassinated would only make matters much more worse.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »

He's a lot scarier than Trump for sure.
Also, the Social Liberal party has to be one of the worst named parties in the world.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:27:27 PM »

If he had died that way, he would be even more deified by those who agree with him ("Myth," "Myth," "Captain") and he has 3 adult children involved in politics, now imagine if one of his sons ran for president in the future in this scenario with the argument that "They did not let my father save Brazil", would probably be elect president.

I'm from Brazil and I did not vote and I did not like that he was elected (they had several other options, in 13 candidates), but I understand that him being assassinated would only make matters much more worse.

Wouldn't his running mate (General Antônio Hamilton Mourão) become president instead? Bolsonaro won by a fairly comfortable margin, I imagine Mourão could also win right?

Or maybe one of Bolsonaro's kids instead?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 09:15:40 PM »

Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »

Killing Kennedy didn't end liberal democracy in America, and killing Bolsonaro wouldn't have ended far-right populism in Brazil. A bad tenure as President, however, might.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 03:30:39 AM »

The attack on him was actually a key moment in swinging the campaign his way; he might not have won otherwise and certainly wouldn't have won so clearly.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 03:44:03 AM »

I hope his reign is short. May his evil views haunt him as long as he's alive.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 08:30:30 AM »

(sickness and tremors)
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 08:45:44 AM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 09:38:22 AM »

Honestly the more terrifying thing is how much American conservatives are rallying behind him
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »

Honestly the more terrifying thing is how much American conservatives are rallying behind him

Does it really surprise you that American conservatives have a deep loathing for democracy, civilian control of the military and other such niceties? When a conservative see some uncontrollable fascist militia being officially sanctioned by the government, they find that thrilling. Unless they're the sort of conservative who cares about money only, in which case they may fingerwag once or twice at the state sanctioned murders, but happily buy the striped mined assets of the dismembered state at bargain prices.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »

A couple of decades ago the very same people we're dealing with now would have defended the Apartheid regime because "it triggers the libs".
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 03:59:07 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2019, 04:13:12 PM by PSOL »

A couple of decades ago the very same people we're dealing with now would have defended the Apartheid regime because "it triggers the libs".
And don’t forget that his actions mirrors both our founding fathers instigating Manifest Destiny and the current expansionist policies of Israel, both titillating factors to our modern conservatives.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-politics-agriculture/bolsonaro-gives-brazil-farm-ministry-powers-on-indigenous-land-in-win-for-farmers-idUSKCN1OW0OS
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I fully expect that indigenous leaders and activists’ assasinations will be in new highs under this government.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 06:43:34 PM »

It’s funny seeing our lilly white posters mourning the Bolsonaro presidency. Meanwhile all of my actual Brazilian friends seem near universally stoked.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 07:24:08 PM »

It’s funny seeing our lilly white posters mourning the Bolsonaro presidency. Meanwhile all of my actual Brazilian friends seem near universally stoked.

Please stop using idpol, it's just as boring from the right as it is from the left.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 08:42:45 PM »

People still use the word stoked? Huh? But either way, Bolsonaro is bad news for people supporting human rights, democracy...or decency. But odds are he's probably got some kind of corruption scandal in his closet, we'll see.
Thatkat04
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 11:07:31 PM »

You are absolutely correct. While I think Bolsonaro is disgusting and I abhor the things he has said/plans to do, Brazil is in absolute shambles right now and i understand why they voted for him.

Hypothetically, if the United States had 3 consecutive Dem presidents all wrapped in major corruption scandals(that led to actual criminal charges), surging violent crime rates and a sluggish economy, I'd bet many left leaning posters would be willing to give the super right wing candidate like Bolsonaro a look.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies