Bolsonaro sworn in as new POBRA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:17:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Bolsonaro sworn in as new POBRA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bolsonaro sworn in as new POBRA  (Read 2400 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 11:57:13 PM »

Honestly the more terrifying thing is how much American conservatives are rallying behind him

Not the real conservatives, just the Trumpists. Sadly, it's getting harder & harder to tell the difference w/ each & every day that passes. As Kalwejt kinda touched upon...

Honestly the more terrifying thing is how much American conservatives are rallying behind him

A couple of decades ago the very same people we're dealing with now would have defended the Apartheid regime because "it triggers the libs".

...it wasn't conservatives who defended the Apartheid regime to oWn ThE lIbS, it was crazies.

People still use the word stoked? Huh? But either way, Bolsonaro is bad news for people supporting human rights, democracy...or decency. But odds are he's probably got some kind of corruption scandal in his closet, we'll see.

One can only hope (& sit & wait).
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 12:11:29 AM »

Not the real conservatives, just the Trumpists. Sadly, it's getting harder & harder to tell the difference w/ each & every day that passes. As Kalwejt kinda touched upon...
The great hope Nicki Haley spoke highly of him. This isn't a Trumpian phenomenon.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 07:00:15 AM »

It’s funny seeing our lilly white posters mourning the Bolsonaro presidency. Meanwhile all of my actual Brazilian friends seem near universally stoked.

You are absolutely correct. While I think Bolsonaro is disgusting and I abhor the things he has said/plans to do, Brazil is in absolute shambles right now and i understand why they voted for him.

Hypothetically, if the United States had 3 consecutive Dem presidents all wrapped in major corruption scandals(that led to actual criminal charges), surging violent crime rates and a sluggish economy, I'd bet many left leaning posters would be willing to give the super right wing candidate like Bolsonaro a look.

No, most left leaning posters might indeed look for a right wing alternative, but not a far right one like Bolsonaro.

Most leftists here wouldn't have a problem with say, president Geraldo Alckmin or president Joao Amoedo
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »

Bolsonaro Excludes LGBTI Community From Human Rights Policies Less Than 24 Hours Into His Presidency

He's quick.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 10:01:49 AM »

It’s funny seeing our lilly white posters mourning the Bolsonaro presidency. Meanwhile all of my actual Brazilian friends seem near universally stoked.

You are absolutely correct. While I think Bolsonaro is disgusting and I abhor the things he has said/plans to do, Brazil is in absolute shambles right now and i understand why they voted for him.

Hypothetically, if the United States had 3 consecutive Dem presidents all wrapped in major corruption scandals(that led to actual criminal charges), surging violent crime rates and a sluggish economy, I'd bet many left leaning posters would be willing to give the super right wing candidate like Bolsonaro a look.

No, most left leaning posters might indeed look for a right wing alternative, but not a far right one like Bolsonaro.

Most leftists here wouldn't have a problem with say, president Geraldo Alckmin or president Joao Amoedo

Hell, I'd take everybody over Bolsonaro.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2019, 11:06:38 AM »

speak for your self. (Alckmin is not the worst though).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »

People still use the word stoked? Huh? But either way, Bolsonaro is bad news for people supporting human rights, democracy...or decency. But odds are he's probably got some kind of corruption scandal in his closet, we'll see.

His chief of staff Onyx Lorenzoni is an Odebrecht crook (for whatever reason the Democratic Party of Brazil was extremely infested with crooks). His own economic guru Guedes is also reportedly dodgy.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 02:54:26 PM »

I don't think it's a question of what current Atlas lefties would do. Rather, it's a question of how many Atlas posters would still lean left if they lived through a Brazil experience. Our environment affects our personalities, our politics, and our choices. For example, the War in Iraq, the post 2008 economic malaise etc etc, likely produced a lot of Democrats who otherwise might have been sympathetic to the GOP. Similarly, it seems reasonable that Brazil's corruption scandals and rising crime rates produced a lot of Bolsanaro voters who would have otherwise preferred Haddad or one of the mainstream rightist candidates.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 03:10:27 PM »

I don't think it's a question of what current Atlas lefties would do. Rather, it's a question of how many Atlas posters would still lean left if they lived through a Brazil experience. Our environment affects our personalities, our politics, and our choices. For example, the War in Iraq, the post 2008 economic malaise etc etc, likely produced a lot of Democrats who otherwise might have been sympathetic to the GOP. Similarly, it seems reasonable that Brazil's corruption scandals and rising crime rates produced a lot of Bolsanaro voters who would have otherwise preferred Haddad or one of the mainstream rightist candidates.

I'm far from denouncing every Bolsonaro voter given developments in my own country (I know PiS voters that I would have hard time label as evil, hateful etc. - I understand the reasons so many people went against "the establishment", I just wish their choice would be diffrent).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies