Did Hillary's "coal miners" comment hurt her in non-coal areas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:30:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Did Hillary's "coal miners" comment hurt her in non-coal areas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did Hillary's "coal miners" comment hurt her in non-coal areas?  (Read 2492 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2019, 05:33:28 PM »

No doubt it cost her West Virginia in the primary and made West Virginia reddest state in America in the general election, but it affect how people voted in places without any coal industry?
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »

All I can say is that it also helped Trump to win coal producing states like Ohio and Pennsylvania.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 06:42:13 PM »

And the sad thing is that anybody with a shred of intelligence or interest in context would have known exactly what she was actually saying.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »

It hurt her in all WWC areas.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 03:26:10 AM »

I think her problem wasn't making that comment by itself, but rather not aggressively attacking those who took it out of context. Had she used the taken-out-of-context attack against her opponents, this comment might have been a nothing-burger in her campaign.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »

And the sad thing is that anybody with a shred of intelligence or interest in context would have known exactly what she was actually saying.

I think her problem wasn't making that comment by itself, but rather not aggressively attacking those who took it out of context. Had she used the taken-out-of-context attack against her opponents, this comment might have been a nothing-burger in her campaign.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 04:51:34 PM »

Yes, she clearly showed her contempt for working class communities. They knew exactly what she was saying. And I say that as someone who voted for her in both the primary and the general elections.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 06:52:03 PM »

Yes, she clearly showed her contempt for working class communities. They knew exactly what she was saying. And I say that as someone who voted for her in both the primary and the general elections.

LOL no.

In context, she followed her statement that she'd be putting coal companies out of business as a result of moving toward renewable energy sources by saying she wanted to create new economic opportunities for current coal workers, possibly spurred by clean energy development.

And if you don't believe me, here are her full remarks, w/ the most relevant parts in bold:

"Look, we have serious economic problems in many parts of our country. And Roland is absolutely right. Instead of dividing people the way Donald Trump does, let's reunite around policies that will bring jobs & opportunities to all these underserved poor communities. So for example, I'm the only candidate which has a policy about how to bring economic opportunity using clean renewable energy as the key into coal country. Because we're going to put a lot of coal miners & coal companies out of business, right? And we're going to make it clear that we don't want to forget those people. Those people labored in those mines for generations, losing their health, often losing their lives to turn on our lights & power our factories. Now we've got to move away from coal & all the other fossil fuels, but I don't want to move away from the people who did the best they could to produce the energy that we relied on. So whether it's coal country or Indian country or poor urban areas, there is a lot of poverty in America. We have gone backwards. We were moving in the right direction. In the '90s, more people were lifted out of poverty than any time in recent history. Because of the terrible economic policies of the Bush administration, President Obama was left with the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, & people fell back into poverty because they lost jobs, they lost homes, they lost opportunities, & hope. So I am passionate about this, which is why I have put forward specific plans about how we incentivize more jobs, more investment in poor communities, & put people to work."
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 11:47:33 PM »

LOL no.

In context, she followed her statement that she'd be putting coal companies out of business as a result of moving toward renewable energy sources by saying she wanted to create new economic opportunities for current coal workers, possibly spurred by clean energy development.

And if you don't believe me, here are her full remarks, w/ the most relevant parts in bold:

"Look, we have serious economic problems in many parts of our country. And Roland is absolutely right. Instead of dividing people the way Donald Trump does, let's reunite around policies that will bring jobs & opportunities to all these underserved poor communities. So for example, I'm the only candidate which has a policy about how to bring economic opportunity using clean renewable energy as the key into coal country. Because we're going to put a lot of coal miners & coal companies out of business, right? And we're going to make it clear that we don't want to forget those people. Those people labored in those mines for generations, losing their health, often losing their lives to turn on our lights & power our factories. Now we've got to move away from coal & all the other fossil fuels, but I don't want to move away from the people who did the best they could to produce the energy that we relied on. So whether it's coal country or Indian country or poor urban areas, there is a lot of poverty in America. We have gone backwards. We were moving in the right direction. In the '90s, more people were lifted out of poverty than any time in recent history. Because of the terrible economic policies of the Bush administration, President Obama was left with the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, & people fell back into poverty because they lost jobs, they lost homes, they lost opportunities, & hope. So I am passionate about this, which is why I have put forward specific plans about how we incentivize more jobs, more investment in poor communities, & put people to work."

If you think that this focus grouped pablum was sincere or that most people who heard it believed it was, you're more tone-deaf than the Clinton campaign itself.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 02:09:02 AM »

LOL no.

If you think that this focus grouped pablum was sincere or that most people who heard it believed it was, you're more tone-deaf than the Clinton campaign itself.

You'd have given Obama the benefit of the doubt if he'd said the exact same thing. She can do no right by some people, and many of those people are the usual suspects who have turned up in this thread.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:19 AM »

One of the main problems of the soundbite culture, comments and remarks are taken out of context.
I say it as a republican, Hillary was wrongly vilified and she didn't handle the aftermath well. 
MARGINS6729
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 06:11:13 AM »

Oh yes. It was not just about coal but about working class and rural voters across the country at least that's how the Republicans spun it and was the bigger context of what Clinton was saying, helping rural and industrial America adapt to a changing world. Unfortunately the comments were outrageously taken out of context and Hillary didn't do that well in correcting it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8L57wahm0U. I'm not certain if she acted fast enough to fully counter it either as the comments were made in March and I believe the trip that she made through Ohio, Kentucky, and West Virginia wasn't until late April to early May? But a man would not have gotten killed for that.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 11:30:44 AM »

We know what she was "actually" saying.

Hillary Clinton does not, and has not, ever been concerned with the well-being of the demographic that comment was aimed at.  I'm well aware of the "context".  It was the "context" of a Freudian Slip.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 06:59:27 PM »

Just look at the swings in the Missouri Lead Belt and other non-coal mining counties.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 08:23:09 PM »

Seriously though, it definitely didn't help with working class turnout.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies