Opinion of a "Work Hard, Play Hard" mentality?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:57:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of a "Work Hard, Play Hard" mentality?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of a "Work Hard, Play Hard" mentality?  (Read 1618 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2019, 01:11:02 AM »

When I was younger I tried to keep work-life balance more, now I realize that it's way more productive to work 70+ hour weeks for like a month straight then take like a weekend and just get totally wasted and unwind so I can go back to working so much feeling like I've taken a break.

I mean it works for me but I don't know how everyone else views that sort of thing. I don't see how you're supposed to get ahead in life if you're not hustling though.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »

I like to keep a good workout schedule (winter break notwithstanding) and have a variety of side projects, so even without school I rely on getting out of work at a reasonable time.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »

Horrible euphemism for overworking and binge drinking.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:42:24 AM »

If you regularly "work hard" for someone else, you're not doing life right.  People (in the west) don't have to "work hard" in 20189 to have the things in life that make it worth living.  If you regularly "work hard" for your own betterment, then that's great, but don't bust your balls so some other assclown can make his nut.  They don't care about you.

1.obviously there are times and places where one must bust his ass, it's good for you, but don't make a habit of it
2.obviously there are gigs where busting ones ass for a short amount of time can have a huge payoff, but most of those gigs you can bust your ass for a long time and never get anywhere too...be careful
3.if you enjoy busting your ass, then I guess enjoy it...while you can, you'll enjoy it a lot less when you're broken at 38
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 12:06:22 PM »

The scourge of humanity. Global happiness would make leaps of giant if people could learn to just relax.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2019, 02:25:33 PM by DC Al Fine »

I have never met someone whose definition of play hard included going home and playing with their kids. That's telling
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »

The scourge of humanity. Global happiness would make leaps of giant if people could learn to just relax.

Agreed
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 03:26:21 AM »

Seems like a mantra that is dedicated to an extroverted existence and hardly as generally appropriate as its boosters like to imagine (also as RI points out, the "play hard" part typically describes some decidedly questionable activities). When I work hard, all I want to do at the end of the day is sleep.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 10:07:44 AM »

When you’re single (unmarried) and in your ‘20s?  FF.  No one’s business.  Being married or having kids is different.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 02:17:56 PM »

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 08:40:55 PM »

I hate relaxation. I'm with HillGoose, except I'm more of a work 70 hours a week, then jet off somewhere else for three weeks sort of guy.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 11:34:34 PM »

Too much effort.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:23 PM »

I hate relaxation. I'm with HillGoose, except I'm more of a work 70 hours a week, then jet off somewhere else for three weeks sort of guy.

oh, of course you are
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 03:09:17 PM »

In my experience, people who casually claim they work 70 hour weeks have rarely experienced the sheer furking horror of actually having to do one.

On the odd occasions I have (never again thankfully), I definitely wasn't coming to post on here
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 09:40:36 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2019, 09:52:50 PM by Dope and Diamonds »

In my experience, people who casually claim they work 70 hour weeks have rarely experienced the sheer furking horror of actually having to do one.

On the odd occasions I have (never again thankfully), I definitely wasn't coming to post on here

It differs weekly. I literally havent worked in the past 2 weeks. I took a vacation. But most of 2018 I was working around 9-12 hour days, 6 days a week, but that doesnt really include school, which was at least another 15-20 weekly. Most of my posts on Atlas come on random little breaks I take to look at my phone or sometimes pull it up on the PC but I generally try not to do that.

It's exhausting but it's less hellish than having spare time to think, and I kind of like being exhausted because it makes it that much better when I'm not exhausted.

If taking 2 weeks off taught me anything, it's that I don't need to  be having time off lmao

Anyway I plan to scale back slightly when I graduate, maybe only do 50-55 hour weeks.

Working is always better than giving myself time to think. If I'm not thinking about non-work stuff I'm happy. I don't think it's that uncommon, Blairite agrees with me.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 01:18:54 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2019, 01:22:02 AM by Trounce-'em Theresa »

I entirely agree with both Antonio and dead0man. How many threads do you get to say that in?

If I had to put a positive spin on "work hard, play hard", it'd be something along the lines of waking up at seven or eight, spending the daylight hours tracking down something obscure in an academic library and possibly doing some sort of childcare work, then blasting Shostakovich while sh**tposting or reading YA novels about World War II in the evening.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2019, 06:03:04 AM »

I entirely agree with both Antonio and dead0man. How many threads do you get to say that in?
^this

From a more personal standpoint, I guess I tend to do a variation of this. When I am not physically and mentally exhausted (after a day of doing most of the work and getting little thanks or pay from it) I am one who tends to get very involved in whatever I'm doing--whether that's a personal project, a job, bowling, diving into the music of someone I've never heard of before but like, questioning the purpose of my existence, questioning the existence of anything, questioning why people like Logan Paul, or half-dancing/half-walking to a song I've heard hundreds of times in my earbuds while wondering across the quiet early morning streets in a brief, blissful moment where my brain is occupied by things that don't fill me with dread. I guess that's the reason I'd ever "work hard"--I don't care about fast food in the slightest and hold resentment to both the general manager and corporate, but if I fill my brain with trying to get orders out and trying to get everything stocked in the pauses between orders, I'm not leaving any space to wonder if I'll ever find happiness or at what cost that might come at. But it's the same personality trait that fills my brain with that same dread...sooooo......y'know.............

(I hope that made sense in the context of the topic. I think it did.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies