Is the *N* word ever appropriate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:11:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the *N* word ever appropriate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is the *N* word ever appropriate?
yes, but only for people who could be called one

yes, but only when talking about how bad the word is

yes, but only black people and discussions of the word(s)

yes, the above reasons, plus if you're alone

yes, other

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Is the *N* word ever appropriate?  (Read 3068 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2019, 07:39:14 AM »

For example...a Netflix CEO was fired this Summer while discussing what words were ok to use in a Netflix stand up special.  BBC or Hollywood Reporter  From the Netflix memo on the firing:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 08:16:01 AM »

Not appropriate at all. People who use it make themselves look unprofessional and stupid, no matter what race they are. At least that's the view of my fiancee, who is half black, and I agree with her.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »

I don't see any problem with it, I've used it before

Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:46:34 AM »

I don't have a problem with it being used if your quoting someone. Like if your talking about someone else using it controversially (Mel Gibson/Michael Richards) I don't think there should be a problem directly quoting them instead of saying "n word", which just sounds ridiculous. I also don't have a problem with it if your quoting a rap song or something. Other than that, you really shouldn't.
Rover
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.18, S: -4.42

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:11:30 AM »

No it's not.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 06:17:43 AM »

I don't have a problem with it being used if your quoting someone. Like if your talking about someone else using it controversially (Mel Gibson/Michael Richards) I don't think there should be a problem directly quoting them instead of saying "n word", which just sounds ridiculous. I also don't have a problem with it if your quoting a rap song or something. Other than that, you really shouldn't.

It seems odd to me to quote a word when the point is the other person got in trouble for using it. I would be fine with someone saying it in quoting art or literature so as to not compromise the creative intentions of the author (the rap songs you describe would fall under this exception), but that's it.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »

It seems odd to me to quote a word when the point is the other person got in trouble for using it. I would be fine with someone saying it in quoting art or literature so as to not compromise the creative intentions of the author (the rap songs you describe would fall under this exception), but that's it.

Well, the other person who got in trouble for using it would have been using it in a negative context.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »

I don't care that much in most contexts, but I would not support using it against someone to their face.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 02:07:15 PM »

I don't care that much in most contexts, but I would not support using it against someone to their face.

This.  It should never be used as a slur against someone.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 02:09:34 PM »

It's just a word. Treating it like it's forbidden gives it more meaning than it deserves. As long as you aren't acting like a jerk and using it to insult someone, it's really not a big deal.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 02:45:51 PM »

No, you should never call anyone a neoconservative because there's nothing conservative about foreign interventions.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »

It's appropriate in the world of fiction, to reveal the racism in a character. Try reading To Kill a Mockingbird and avoid seeing the word in print. Watch an unedited version of The Shining and you'll hear the word a few times in the restroom scene.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 06:34:43 PM »

When it's a hilarious typo about Trump wanting a bigger navy.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »

It's appropriate in the world of fiction, to reveal the racism in a character. Try reading To Kill a Mockingbird and avoid seeing the word in print. Watch an unedited version of The Shining and you'll hear the word a few times in the restroom scene.
Are you sure?  Remember how triggered some people got when the producers of Game of Thrones announced their next series was going to be about what if the US lost the civil war?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »

I do not like other people controlling what I can and cannot say...but I also do not like deeply offending or angering or hurting people with words I don’t have a legitimate enough reason to justify using.

The n-word is by far the biggest swear word of modern times.  The racial slurs are the top line followed by the sexist, homophobic, and ableist slurs.

Damn, sh**t, ass, f**k, bitch just don’t pack the punch they usedta fer chrissakes.  In fact, it seems people often exaggerate the swear value of these words to minimize the swear value of today’s real swear words.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 11:29:06 PM »

The n-word is by far the biggest swear word of modern times.  The racial slurs are the top line followed by the sexist, homophobic, and ableist slurs.

Damn, sh**t, ass, f**k, bitch just don’t pack the punch they usedta fer chrissakes.  In fact, it seems people often exaggerate the swear value of these words to minimize the swear value of today’s real swear words.

I agree with everything except that I would put sexist, homophobic, and ableist slurs as as offensive as racial slurs.
Riegel2222
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »

The N-word with the letter -a at the end is not a racist slur but more just a slang term that people use to refer to people of the male gender.

If you say it with the hard -er at the end, it's only appropriate if you don't mean it in a racist context or you're black or whatever.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 07:17:50 AM »

"N-word" sounds like a six year old is talking.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »

I find it a bit odd when people politicize these things. It's appropriate to treat people with respect. Not dropping racial slurs people find hurtful is typically appropriate behaviour. In professional contexts we generally demand signfiicantly more politeness than in other contexts. This isn't really that complex.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 05:10:39 PM »

Quoting it or using it in a referential way should be fine. A lot of black people use it a lot in the same way gays use fag and trans people use tranny. I don't see a problem with that either. I would personally like the know the context in this situation. Did he say the word when simply discussing 'sensitive words' or did he use it in a more intentional manner? In general, I am disappointed how much PC/SJW culture has infiltrated corporate America. At the end of the day, speech/language is all about how much power we give words. If we're so offended at this word that a CEO got fired then I believe we're giving the word too much power.

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 06:07:08 PM »

I find it a bit odd when people politicize these things. It's appropriate to treat people with respect. Not dropping racial slurs people find hurtful is typically appropriate behaviour. In professional contexts we generally demand signfiicantly more politeness than in other contexts. This isn't really that complex.

Pretty much this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 08:02:22 PM »

The N-word with the letter -a at the end is not a racist slur but more just a slang term that people use to refer to people of the male gender.

Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2019, 01:09:11 AM »

"N-word" sounds like a six year old is talking.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2019, 01:33:03 AM »

Only time it should be used is if you're reading classic literature from when that word was commonplace (e.g. Mark Twain).
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 10:37:46 AM »

This and quoting historical usage are the only times the -er version should be used.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies