Rioting in Paris
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:45:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Rioting in Paris
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Rioting in Paris  (Read 13334 times)
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2005, 03:52:18 PM »
« edited: November 02, 2005, 03:54:05 PM by KEmperor »

So any new news about these riots out in the slums?  I believe this is the 6th day now.  Looks like the Muslims are getting uppity.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 04:24:10 PM »

They'd get a lot less uppity if the French government stopped cowering from their duties. Rubber bullets? Please.

Le Clercs and FAMAS are the best medicines.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 04:30:39 PM »

What riots?  Shows how much attention I pay to France. Wink
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:30:15 PM »

What riots?  Shows how much attention I pay to France. Wink

Chirac Appeals for Calm as Paris Suburbs Endure Sixth Night of Violence
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 06:22:57 PM »

Interestingly, in reasonable France the suburbs are where the poor people live.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 07:28:37 PM »

Contrary to what AuH2O thinks, this is a development right in the alley of Nick Sarkozy, not Petainist joke Le Pen.

I guess French members of the Religion of Peace are attempting to import the intifada from Israel.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 08:19:24 PM »

I know, it's always something I've liked about France. Smiley

I'm not sure I'd say France is reasonable. They are well on their way to full dereligiousization (yes, I made that word up) but then they let all of these crazy Muslims in...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 04:25:44 AM »

What, dumping all the poor people outside city limits, give them f***ing dire government services, set them against each other, let them/encourage them to segregate, make them live in flammable housing, don't even bother to police the area properly and never crack down on crime let along low level anti-social behavior (something that can make life in a deprived urban area absolute hell) and generally abandon them and turn a blind eye to the problems they face... is something you like?

What a genuinely terrible excuse for a human being you are
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 07:00:27 AM »

What, dumping all the poor people outside city limits, give them f***ing dire government services, set them against each other, let them/encourage them to segregate, make them live in flammable housing, don't even bother to police the area properly and never crack down on crime let along low level anti-social behavior (something that can make life in a deprived urban area absolute hell) and generally abandon them and turn a blind eye to the problems they face... is something you like?

What a genuinely terrible excuse for a human being you are

LOL, good answer.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 07:05:25 AM »

A week now. Villepin is even praising Sarkozy, saying he's the right man for the job, etc.

They are getting desperate, as are the rioters.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 08:42:50 AM »

They are getting desperate, as are the rioters.

True. It's their fault though; it's not as though this stuff came out of a clear blue sky or anything.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 08:47:42 AM »

No. In reasonable France, both the cities and the suburbs include poor people and very rich people.
Now, if the suburbs were as socially mixed as the cities, all would be well... Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 08:55:06 AM »

No. In reasonable France, both the cities and the suburbs include poor people and very rich people.
Now, if the suburbs were as socially mixed as the cities, all would be well... Sad

What's French for "social engineering"?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 08:58:06 AM »

What's English for Social Engineering?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 09:00:48 AM »

"Social engineering
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Social engineering has several meanings:

Social engineering (political science)
Social engineering (computer security)
This is a disambiguation page, a list of pages that otherwise might share the same title."

German version:
"Social Engineering
aus Wikipedia, der freien Enzyklopädie
Der Begriff Social Engineering bezeichnet

den Versuch, die menschliche Gesellschaft zum Besseren umzugestalten: Social Engineering (Gesellschaftswissenschaft)
ein Angriffsszenario, dass die Gutgläubigkeit von Menschen ausnutzt: Social Engineering (Sicherheit)
eine (entwicklungs-)politische Tätigkeit, die aktiv soziale Gruppen schaffen und modulieren will: Social Engineering (Politik)

Diese Seite ist eine Begriffsklärung zur Unterscheidung mehrerer mit dem gleichen Wort bezeichneter Begriffe. "

That gives four or possibly five different meanings - thence the question.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 09:10:46 AM »

Greenbelt Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 09:22:58 AM »

"Green belt

For other uses, see Green belt (disambiguation).

A green belt or greenbelt is an area of largely undeveloped wild or agricultural land surrounding or neighbouring an urban area. A similar concept is the greenway which has a linear character and may run through the urban area instead of around it. The more general term in the U.S. is green space or greenspace, which may be a very small area such as a park.

In some countries, development in green belt areas is heavily restricted. Aims include:

protecting the natural environment;
improving air quality in urban areas;
ensuring that urban dwellers have easy access to the countryside, with consequent educational and recreational opportunities; and
protecting the unique character of rural communities which might otherwise be absorbed by expanding suburbs.
Sometimes, development jumps over the restricted greenbelt area, resulting in the creation of "satellite towns" which, although separated from the city by green space, function more like suburbs than independent communities.

The protection of green belts was pioneered in the United Kingdom, where there are fourteen green belt areas, covering 16,716 km², or 13% of England; for a detailed discussion of these, see Green Belt (UK). Another notable example is the Ottawa Greenbelt in Canada.

An act of the Swedish parliament from 1994 has declared a series of parks in Stockholm and the adjacent municipality of Solna to its north a "national city park" called Ekoparken (the "Eco park"; it stretches from the parks surrounding the royal palaces of Ulriksdal and Haga in Solna, through the Brunnsviken area, down to the former royal hunting grounds of North and South Djurgården)."
Yeah, sounds familiar from Frankfurt's Grüngürtel concept.

But maybe you're talking about one of those:
"Green belt (disambiguation)
A greenbelt or green belt is an undeveloped area neighbouring or surrounding an urban area, often protected from development by planning law. For a general treatment of these see green belt. Articles covering particular examples include:

Green Belt (UK)
Greenbelt (Ottawa)
Staten Island Greenbelt

Other uses of the word greenbelt include:

Greenbelt, Maryland - a town in the suburbs of Washington, D.C.
Greenbelt (Washington Metro) - a metro station in Greenbelt, Maryland
The Greenbelt festival - an annual Christian music festival in England
A rank of achievement (pupil grade) in multiple martial arts systems, most notably the basic forms of Karate and Judo.
A Six Sigma Green Belt is a certification level of the Six Sigma processes.
The Green Belt is one of the six marked routes of the Pittsburgh/Allegheny County Belt System.
This is a disambiguation page, a list of pages that otherwise might share the same title."

Following the Green Belt (UK) link gives you this:
"Green Belt (UK)
In UK city planning, the Green Belt is a concept for controlling metropolitan growth introduced around London, England by minister of housing Duncan Sandys via a Government Circular.

The idea is a ring of countryside where urbanisation will be resisted for the foreseeable future, maintaining an area where agriculture, forestry and outdoor leisure can be expected to prevail. The notion dated from Herbert Morrison's 1934 leadership of the London County Council and was included in an advisory Greater London Plan prepared by Patrick Abercrombie in 1944. However, it was some 14 years before the elected local authorities responsible for the area recommended had all defined the area on scaled maps with some precision.

As the outward growth of London was seen to be firmly repressed, residents owning properties further from the built-up area also campaigned for this policy of urban restraint, partly to safeguard their own investments but often invoking an idealised scenic/rustic argument which laid the blame for most social ills upon urban influences. In mid-1971, for example, the government decided to extend the London Green Belt northwards to include almost all of Hertfordshire. The London Green Belt now covers parts of 68 different Districts or Boroughs.

The government issues planning guidance [[1]] for the green belts defined by local authorities in England and Wales. Local Councils are strongly urged to follow this detailed advice (PPG2) when considering whether to permit additional buildings in the Green Belt or assent to new uses being made of existing premises.

By 2003, fourteen distinct Green Belts collectively safeguarded about 13 percent of England. In order of decreasing size these are as follows:

Area (km²)
5,133 London
2,578 North West (Merseyside and Greater Manchester)
2,556 South Yorkshire and West Yorkshire
2,315 West Midlands
825 South west Hampshire and South east Dorset (Portsmouth/Southampton/Bournemouth/Poole)
688 Avon (Bristol and Bath)
663 Tyne and Wear
618 Nottingham and Derby
441 Stoke-on-Trent
350 Oxford
267 Cambridge
262 York
70 Gloucester and Cheltenham
0.7 Burton upon Trent and Swadlincote
16,766 Total

The introduction of green belts was the culmination of over 50 years of environmentalist pressure with roots in the Garden Cities Movement and widespread academic interest in combating urban sprawl and ribbon development, as well as pressure from campaign groups such as the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE)."
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 09:31:47 AM »

That's it; been a lot of blatent abuses of greenbelts. Will post more when I get back online.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 09:40:28 AM »

The French government made Muslims immigrate? Made them live in ethnic neighborhoods? Made them burn their own homes down? Who knew.

Well, nothing that can't be solved with 5.56mm.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 09:45:50 AM »

I'll assume for your benefit that you simply don't know what the part about inflammable houses was about because you were too fixed on a certain hurricane to notice anything else.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 09:55:23 AM »

understandably 'too fixed'.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 03:41:10 PM »

This is precisely what the Americans have done, inversely.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 03:42:31 PM »

I'm not sure I'd say France is reasonable. They are well on their way to full dereligiousization (yes, I made that word up) but then they let all of these crazy Muslims in...

Yes, it is hard to see why anyone would tolerate intolerants in their country.  In the US of course they spring up like weeds from the Southern Soil, but in France, as you say, they let the monsters in.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 04:52:16 PM »

There has been rioting by Muslim youths in the Danish city of Arhus too. Yet another collective Muslim 'hissy fit' over non existent problems.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »

Yet another collective Muslim 'hissy fit' over non existent problems.

Are you talking about the Arhus thing (and I don't know enough to comment) or the the riots in Paris? Becuase to describe the latter in those terms is either ignorant (but to be fair there's not been much coverage of it over here) or a lie.

I'll just repeat this:

"...dumping all the poor people outside city limits, give them f***ing dire government services, set them against each other, let them/encourage them to segregate, make them live in flammable housing, don't even bother to police the area properly and never crack down on crime let alone low level anti-social behavior (something that can make life in a deprived urban area absolute hell) and generally abandon them and turn a blind eye to the problems they face..." (and that's all true, btw).

The only suprising thing about the huge riots is that they didn't happen years ago...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies