NAACP links earthquake signs in Oregon to white supremacy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:19:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NAACP links earthquake signs in Oregon to white supremacy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NAACP links earthquake signs in Oregon to white supremacy  (Read 570 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2019, 06:52:42 AM »

link=ABC ifyoucanbelieveit
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:08:49 AM »

The earthquakes are racist too.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »

When you consider that there is a loooooooooooooong history of ostensibly neutral regulations that have had the effect of contributing to making wealth creation harder for minorities, I can understand the NAACP's skepticism here. In the short term, this regulation will adversely impact minorities simply because they are more likely to own such structures. If this were combined with a program to assist in earthquake remediation, it wouldn't have the same degree of adverse impact, but that would cost money.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »

When you consider that there is a loooooooooooooong history of ostensibly neutral regulations that have had the effect of contributing to making wealth creation harder for minorities, I can understand the NAACP's skepticism here. In the short term, this regulation will adversely impact minorities simply because they are more likely to own such structures. If this were combined with a program to assist in earthquake remediation, it wouldn't have the same degree of adverse impact, but that would cost money.

Agreed. If you read the article, no one is actually claiming that earthquakes are racist. While I think the NAACP's complaints are misplaced in this particular case, if you're mindful of this history, it's understandable why they're skeptical of this type of thing.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2019, 01:28:58 PM by The Voice of America »

It's becoming clear that perhaps the left or those who obsess on race don't want racism to be solved. In other words, I think they want to play the victim. They want to talk about race. They want to keep fighting even if the fight was over.

I have no respect for that. If they keep it up, they will end up "infantizing" the issue. If Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is racist, and Earthquake signs are racist, suddenly it becomes a joke.

It makes you wanna move to a rural cabin the middle of nowhere and cut out TV and social media. The way I see it:

- Slavery was racist (It ended after the Civil War)
- Segregation was racist (It ended 50+ years ago)
- KKK was racist (Nobody takes any "modern day" KKK crap seriously)

So in my mind, racism is over. Slavery is gone, segregation is gone. We had a two-term black President. Racism is over with. But some wanna keep the fire going. What are we gonna do? Try and alter people's thoughts and minds? Burn history books? Tear down statues?

You can't change the past. You can't hide from it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »

It's becoming clear that perhaps the left or those who obsess on race don't want racism to be solved. In other words, I think they want to play the victim. They want to talk about race. They want to keep fighting even if the fight was over.

I have no respect for that. If they keep it up, they will end up "infantizing" the issue. If Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is racist, and Earthquake signs are racist, suddenly it becomes a joke.

It makes you wanna move to a rural cabin the middle of nowhere and cut out TV and social media. The way I see it:

So in my mind, racism is over. Slavery is gone, segregation is gone. We had a two-term black President. Racism is over with. But some wanna keep the fire going. What are we gonna do? Try and alter people's thoughts and minds? Burn history books? Tear down statues?

Racism isn't over. You are walking breathing proof of this. I will also say F the mods who had the audacity to strike down my post saying that you would undoubtedly have real issues hiring a qualified black person if a white person was available. Ditto for any female short of a secretarial slash Girl Friday roll. Literally everything you have ever posted or expressed about the extremely active racism and sexism you proudly wear on your sleeve.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 01:35:59 PM »

Unreinforced masonry buildings really are dangerous in earthquakes. Brick is rare in California; stucco is more commonplace. It craks without collapsing.

The solution is to retrofit the unreinforced masonry buildings and to have zoning laws that prohibit further building with unreinforced masonry. This also applies in such places as Memphis, St. Louis, and Salt Lake City that are vulnerable to earthquakes.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »

Racism isn't over.

It's true that there will always be asterisks. But we can't change history. There's nothing we can do about that. But to sulk on it and keep trying to find new things only divides us more.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 03:25:07 PM »

If NAACP just said that it was a harmful policy that disproportionately affected blacks, they'd be on solid ground.  However they always like to go for the more shocking ideologically-driven rhetoric in order to present every controversy as catacylsmic.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »

Racism isn't over. You are walking breathing proof of this. I will also say F the mods who had the audacity to strike down my post saying that you would undoubtedly have real issues hiring a qualified black person if a white person was available. Ditto for any female short of a secretarial slash Girl Friday roll. Literally everything you have ever posted or expressed about the extremely active racism and sexism you proudly wear on your sleeve.

It's true that there will always be asterisks ....

Reaganfan*
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 05:03:06 PM »

If NAACP just said that it was a harmful policy that disproportionately affected blacks, they'd be on solid ground.  However they always often like to go for the more shocking ideologically-driven rhetoric in order to present every controversy as catacylsmic.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »

I would have thought dead0man would be on the NAACP's side on this because muh onerous government regulations.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies