Brazil General Discussion 2019: It's Slammer Time! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:25:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil General Discussion 2019: It's Slammer Time! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brazil General Discussion 2019: It's Slammer Time!  (Read 47049 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« on: April 28, 2019, 01:46:33 PM »

Evil homophobe is an evil homophobe.

Color me shocked
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »

Impeachment of Jair Bolsonaro is already discussed by some politicians. Threat to democratic institutions and mismanagement of the cov19 crisis are the motives.
On Monday, one representative of Rede (Marina Silva's party) sent an impeachment request to the House. Two days later, three representatives of PSOL sent another impeachment request. The president of PSOL told that these three representatives were acting by themselves and not in the name of the party. He told that the direction of the party considers that impeachment is not the priority now.

To be approved, the impeachment request should by accepted by the president of the House Rodrigo Maia. Than, it should be approved by a special comission in the House, and then, it needs 2/3 of the votes of the whole House. Then, it needs 2/3 of the votes of the Senate.
Maia, although a conservative, is doing several criticism on Bolsonaro's administration. But he is not going to accept the request until he is sure that there will be more than 2/3 of the votes. If the impeachment goes to vote and fails to reach 2/3, Bolsonaro can get stronger.

Well, after he managed to get himself expelled from his own party & literally antagonize everybody in both houses of Congress, this is certainly not unexpected.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »

I think after this week, more than 2/3 of both houses would support impeachment, but it is not good a political crisis during a public health crisis. That's why even the mainstream PSOL thinks that it is not the time for impeachment (the far left wing of the party is campaigning for impeachment).

Bolsonaro is dealing very bad with Covid. He believes in far-right anti-scientific propaganda which says that shut-down is not necessary. His son believes in conspiracy theories about China. At least the governors, even the most conservative ones, are making a good job and making the shut-down by themselves. And bureacratic workers in public organizations, like the Ministry of Health, universities and research institutes have some autonomy against crazy elected politicians.

Hearing Brazilians turn against Bolsonaro gives me hope; sounds like he's trying to really f**k things up down there, much like our President up here. Many Americans will evidently just believe Trump & blame China for the crisis, but I'd feared that other countries would as well. Glad to hear the delusion might just be limited to our borders.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »

Mourão is horrible, but he is not as bad as Bolsonaro

In the TV on Tuesday, Bolsonaro told that the shut down is destroying jobs, that for people who are not old the covid is "just a flu" (against all the scientists). He is putting the lives of many people in danger. In the following day, Mourão told that he supports the shut down.
The governors and mayors ignored Bolsonaro and kept the shut down.

Concerning the impeachment, the biggest problem is the time: it takes long time to the special commission of the House discuss the request, to the presentation of the accusation, to the presentation of the defense. The time between the president of the House accept the request and the final vote in the House takes at least 2 months. It is dangerous to do this now when the country (and the world) is facing a public health crisis.

Is an expedited legislative procedure not possible?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 12:59:20 PM »

Bolsonaro exempted churches from the stay at home order, saying that prayer is necessary. So clownish.

Mr. President, South Korea called. They said, "this is a really bad f**king idea!"
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 08:24:05 PM »

I realize it is still quite a ways off, but how do Bolsonaro's reelection prospects look? Is he favoured or an underdog?

Something tells me that fiddling while a pandemic looms would indeed cost him re-election in 2022, yes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »

So, this is basically just a Brazilian version of that NY Times op-ed from people working for Trump acknowledging how they don't follow his orders?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »

Sergio Moro accused Jair Bolsonaro of asking him to intervene in investigations conducted by the Federal Police (the Federal Police is branch which belongs to the Ministry of Justice). There are ongoing investigations against Flavio Bolsonaro due to his connections to the organized crime of Rio de Janeiro and against Carlos Bolsonaro because he his suspect of controlling a hoax distribution machine through Whatsapp and Internet against opponents of Bolsonaros.
If this accusation is true, this is a crime of responsability, and an impeachment process can start.

Bolsonaro made a speech along his cabinet (including VP Mourao) saying that Moro was against him in Presidency. He remembered an episode when Moro refused to shake his hands in airport in 2017 and for not working to get "who paid to kill me?" (he thinks that 2018 stabbing was a conspiracy). Now PDT (Democratic Labour Party, my party) added a new impeachment denounce, as REDE, PSB and Greens. Even PSL (Bolsonaro's former party) will ask his impeachment.

2 questions: When can we expect President Mourão? And could/would he (somehow) manage to be worse than Bolsonaro?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 03:32:15 AM »

Who will the opposition push to run against Bolsonaro in 2022 & can he or she give him a run for his money ?

Lula was freed & is now out of jail, right? I'd presume him if at all possible, but one of our Brazilian posters is obviously better positioned to answer this question than me lol
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2020, 05:56:18 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/24/americas/bolsonaro-threat-punch-reporter-intl-scli/index.html

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has been captured on camera threatening to punch a reporter in the face, after being asked about alleged family corruption.

Bolsonaro, who was visiting the Metropolitan Cathedral in Brasilia on Sunday when a group of journalists met him outside, was seen on video threatening the O Globo newspaper reporter after being questioned about the allegations.

The journalist was seeking comment from the President over alleged deposits made by a former aide of Bolsonaro's eldest son, Senator Flavio Bolsonaro, into a bank account supposedly belonging to first lady Michelle Bolsonaro.

President Bolsonaro was standing just steps from the Cathedral and told the reporter, "I feel like punching you in your mouth, okay?"

When CNN asked President Bolsonaro's office about Sunday's incident, his spokesperson refused to comment.

Well, that's just charming.

Him & Trump have just been competing this whole time to see who could look the most ridiculous during a global pandemic, haven't they?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies