Why was Jesse Jackson seen as nothing but the "black candidate"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Why was Jesse Jackson seen as nothing but the "black candidate"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why was Jesse Jackson seen as nothing but the "black candidate"  (Read 1561 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »

In the early 2008 primaries, I saw many talking head pundits compare Obama to Jesse Jackson, saying that while JJ was simply the "black candidate" Obama was a candidate that "simply happened to be black". This makes no sense to me. Jackson did not run on black identity politics, he wanted to build a "Rainbow coalition". While Obama campaigned on vague platitudes like hope and change, Jesse Jackson ran the most substantive campaigns in Democratic primaries until Bernie came along. His 1988 campaign focused specifically on the outsourcing of manufacturing jobs.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 03:25:54 PM »

Because racism.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 04:08:57 PM »

Jesse Jackson had said things that were perceived as anti-semitic.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »

That's being kind.  Jesse Jackson referred to New York City as "H----town", while actively receiving the support of Louis Farrakhan.  This was in his 1984 campaign.

What qualifications did Jackson have that suggested he was up to the office of the Presidency?  I find that one hard to come up with.  I would ask people here what qualifications for the Presidency did Jesse Jackson had that Pat Robertson did not have?  They both ran in 1988; why does Robertson (who is, indeed a jerk) get flamed while Jackson gets a pass?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:16:13 PM »

That's being kind.  Jesse Jackson referred to New York City as "H----town", while actively receiving the support of Louis Farrakhan.  This was in his 1984 campaign.

What qualifications did Jackson have that suggested he was up to the office of the Presidency?  I find that one hard to come up with.  I would ask people here what qualifications for the Presidency did Jesse Jackson had that Pat Robertson did not have?  They both ran in 1988; why does Robertson (who is, indeed a jerk) get flamed while Jackson gets a pass?

Because Pat Robertson is an evil charlatan and Jesse Jackson was standing up for workers.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »

Jesse Jackson was simply unelectable. His antisemitism would have repelled Jewish voters. His "i appeared on TV covered in MLK's blood" would have repelled white moderates who didn't like black militancy.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 09:34:25 AM »

Jesse Jackson ran a much more inclusive primary campaign in 1988 based on his Rainbow Coalition and was not perceived as solely 'the black candidate.'

Jackson Share of Votes By Whites Triples in '88
https://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/13/us/jackson-share-of-votes-by-whites-triples-in-88.html

While 2/3 of the votes he received were from blacks, he still received over 2 million non black primary votes in 1988.  (Michael Dukakis received 9.7 million votes.)

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-unsung-heroism-of-jesse-jackson

“Economic common ground” became a refrain of the Jackson campaign, long before the “99 percent” became part of the public vernacular. “We said, ‘if we could leave the racial battleground for economic common ground, we can find the moral higher ground.’ That’s how we got the rhythm.”

The wide range of Jackson’s clarion call brought together former enemies in American life. Jackson recalled meeting a group of white supporters in Alabama who said, “We were with you in Selma.” After Jackson thanked them, they said, “You don’t understand, we were on the other side.”

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 02:13:44 PM »

Jesse Jackson was seen as somewhat of a stereotype of a Black politician of the age: a former preacher and activist with obligatory facial hair, no matter what his actual message was. If MLK survived and got into elective politics, he'd likely get the very same treatment.

Biden's unfortunate commentas about "clean Obama" sadly summarized a perception Black politicians had and still have to struggle with.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 09:37:26 AM »

That's being kind.
I wasn't sure what Jackson said, so I tried not to assume anything.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 01:20:50 PM »

Didn't you vote for Trump?
Flyersfan232

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »

Didn't you vote for Trump?
trump was the business man thought.
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 06:11:39 PM »

Jackson was unelectable for the wider electorate. anti-Jewish + "I was covered in King's blood" black grievance politics.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 07:38:00 PM »

Because he was.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 03:43:32 PM »

In the 1980's racism and racial tensions were worse. Crime was much higher, and crime was always tied to blacks. A lot of white suburbanites in the 1980's were afraid of blacks breaking into their homes at night and robbing them. It was only 20 years before the 1980's that blacks were being lynched and denied the right to vote. Even a 'white friendly' non threatening black candidate like Obama would have lost in the 80's. It wasn't until  crime declined in the 1990's for the average white person to put crime and the fear of blacks on the back burner.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »

In the 1980's racism and racial tensions were worse. Crime was much higher, and crime was always tied to blacks. A lot of white suburbanites in the 1980's were afraid of blacks breaking into their homes at night and robbing them. It was only 20 years before the 1980's that blacks were being lynched and denied the right to vote. Even a 'white friendly' non threatening black candidate like Obama would have lost in the 80's. It wasn't until  crime declined in the 1990's for the average white person to put crime and the fear of blacks on the back burner.

Than why did Douglas Wilder win in suburban VA in 1989?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 08:29:32 AM »

Than why did Douglas Wilder win in suburban VA in 1989?

He ran behind both the Lieutenant Governor (Beyer won with 54%) and the Attorney General (Terry won with 63%) - he did the same in 1985 when he ran for LG, drastically underperforming the rest of the ticket. He did as good as any other Democrat of the time in the coal field counties, but there was massive bleeding in the suburbs.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2019, 01:58:47 AM »

It wasn't until  crime declined in the 1990's for the average white person to put crime and the fear of blacks on the back burner.

Thank god for Roe V Wade.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 03:28:05 AM »

"Equal Rights" amendment was torpedoed by Orrin Hatch did it. Since, then, Reagan Revolution was a war on welfare. Throughout 90's, the was a will by Congress to end welfare.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 06:50:50 AM »

Part of Clinton's platform was, "I may have a D next to my name, but I'm not with Jesse Jackson."
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies