Yellow Vests resurgence in France, Macron reeling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:28:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Yellow Vests resurgence in France, Macron reeling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of the Yellow Vests protesters
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Yellow Vests resurgence in France, Macron reeling  (Read 4135 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« on: January 12, 2019, 09:37:56 AM »

I'm starting to get the feeling Macron won't survive as President much longer...

He will, because the French Constitution is basically designed to make the President irremovable both formally and in terms of practical incentives, but he might be on his way to turning into a lame duck faster than even Flamby did (even after his defeat at the European elections he wasn't quite toast). Of course, he still has a chance to avoid this fate, but time is running out.

Agreed, except by that point I think Hollande basically was toast. Nobody I knew thought he would run again and that Valls would be the PS nominee in 2017.

But yeah I agree, Macron will not be removed from office but he's entering lame duck territory now.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 09:41:32 AM »

The French economy has been struggling for years, and might well now be vying with Italy to be the 'sick man of Europe.'

This is definitely true. I actually think Northern Italy is generally better off economically and socially than France overall is, the thing that pulls Italy down is Southern Italy and its severe problems.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 08:28:07 AM »

Something people should remember about France is that voters just naturally hate their politicians. Macron never had any hope of bucking said trend...

That is true, Giscard was probably the last president whose popularity didn't go down the drain really quickly.

And out of the current batch of politicians, I can't say I approve of any of the party leaders either.

But Macron made his problems worse by being condescending and speaking down to people, he'd probably be several points more popular if his attitude was better.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »

It's painfully obvious that the Yellow Vests' grievances are largely based on regional inequalities between the Parisians who control every aspect of French life and the comparatively immiserated inhabitants of the rest of the country, but both rational choice theorists and the woketariat see the idea of talking seriously about regional inequality as a threat so I'm not surprised it's not being discussed in this thread.

This
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 08:35:46 AM »

It's painfully obvious that the Yellow Vests' grievances are largely based on regional inequalities between the Parisians who control every aspect of French life and the comparatively immiserated inhabitants of the rest of the country, but both rational choice theorists and the woketariat see the idea of talking seriously about regional inequality as a threat so I'm not surprised it's not being discussed in this thread.

If that were true, agriculture subsidies in France wouldn't have gone on for as long as they have.

In order for the existence of agriculture subsidies to be a sufficient counterargument, you have to also be willing to say that there's no regional inequality in the United States.

Agreed
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies