Alaska vs. Hawaii
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:23:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Alaska vs. Hawaii
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Alaska or Hawaii?
Alaska

Hawaii

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Alaska vs. Hawaii  (Read 1194 times)
Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:02 PM »

The two states not part of the lower 48.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 08:29:03 PM »

Hawaii
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 08:30:47 PM »

Easy Hawaii vote.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 08:33:21 PM »

Hawaii. Easily one of the top 5 states in the country, and certainly the most pleasant. Sometimes I dream of retiring in Honolulu. Such a magical place!
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 08:50:31 PM »

Alaska
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »

Lean Hawaii. Both states are freedom states.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 11:43:33 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 12:14:40 AM »

Alaska.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 12:33:41 AM »

Alaska, easily.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 05:31:04 AM »

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 05:40:11 AM »

alaska
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 08:36:05 AM »

Alaska
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 12:21:58 PM »

Hawaii. Easily one of the top 5 states in the country, and certainly the most pleasant. Sometimes I dream of retiring in Honolulu. Such a magical place!

Constant traffic jams, crazy expensive, tourists everywhere? Magical indeed.

(I love Hawaii but the idea that Honolulu is this magical place is divorced from reality)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:59 PM »

Absolutely blown away that Alaska is even running close in this poll. Unless one is an absolute libertard, I'm really at a loss. Hawaii's natural Beauty and scenery, including mountains, easily Rivals Alaska's. And the weather is a hell of a lot better as it tends to be cool by the sea breezes, as opposed to Alaska just being, well, Alaska.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »

I'd still choose Alaska, but Hawaii is one of my favorite non-cold states (along with California).
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »

(I love Hawaii but the idea that Honolulu is this magical place is divorced from reality)
I'm a city person. I wouldn't want to live out past Aiea and commute, but a nice condo in Waikiki where I could walk everywhere sounds like a dream. Besides, there are a ton of cool neighborhoods without much driving, like Maikiki, Kapahulu, and Kahala which would all be nice. Kailua would also be cool. Maui is lame, and Kauai and the Big Island are fun to visit, but way too remote to live in.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 06:52:40 PM »

Absolutely blown away that Alaska is even running close in this poll. Unless one is an absolute libertard, I'm really at a loss. Hawaii's natural Beauty and scenery, including mountains, easily Rivals Alaska's. And the weather is a hell of a lot better as it tends to be cool by the sea breezes, as opposed to Alaska just being, well, Alaska.

Both seem like nice states tbh, but I voted Alaska mainly because the quality and life and cost of living seem to be a lot better there than in Hawaii.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »

Atlas, while being so left-wing, consistently demonstrates a clear preference for white areas.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 12:21:53 PM »

Atlas, while being so left-wing, consistently demonstrates a clear preference for white areas.

While I voted for Alaska here because it is unbeaten when it comes to its natural wonders, I do agree with this. Look no further than the glorification of Minnesota as much better than it actually is.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 02:23:32 PM »

Alaska has better landscapes and Anchorage is a better city than Honolulu.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 04:07:48 PM »

Hawaii a bit reluctantly.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 04:24:17 PM »

Hawaii.

I do not want to deal with brutally cold, long winters or the giant mosquitoes.
Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2019, 07:54:36 PM »

Alaska is less white than the US as a whole, and by some measures Anchorage is the most diverse city in the US. I'm always surprised that people think of Alaska as being so white.

Anyway, Alaska wins easily for me due to the cold and snow, the sheer vastness, the frontier spirit, and the amazing natural landscapes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2019, 08:26:00 PM »

Alaska is less white than the US as a whole, and by some measures Anchorage is the most diverse city in the US. I'm always surprised that people think of Alaska as being so white.

Anyway, Alaska wins easily for me due to the cold and snow, the sheer vastness, the frontier spirit, and the amazing natural landscapes.

In comparison with Hawaii, by far the most diverse (as in truly diverse, not just "not white") and least white state, Alaska is clearly very white.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2019, 09:09:47 AM »

I'm a city person. I wouldn't want to live out past Aiea and commute, but a nice condo in Waikiki where I could walk everywhere sounds like a dream. Besides, there are a ton of cool neighborhoods without much driving, like Maikiki, Kapahulu, and Kahala which would all be nice. Kailua would also be cool. Maui is lame, and Kauai and the Big Island are fun to visit, but way too remote to live in.

But that's the problem with Honolulu. It feels like most any big US city in a tropical climate. From my visit there last year, I felt I could have been in San Diego or South FL. Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience, but I didn't get the feeling of being in a state with a significant other culture. I didn't get to Kailua on Oahu so I can't comment on that.

I visited 4 other HI islands that same trip last year, all of which were more culturally authentic than Oahu. I'm surprised you found Maui lame. I enjoyed it completely and it had areas that were far less touristy than Kaanapali such as Wailuku and Kihei. Plus the commuter terminal at Kahului Airport made connections to the other islands (or the Mainland) a breeze with far less hassle than at Inouye International in Honolulu.

The only island I found to be really remote was Molokai'i. The Big Island was indeed big so it took a long time to get from one side to the other, but Hilo was a nice town and more interesting than Kona. Kauai was the most scenic of the islands for my money and it was pretty easy to go between Lihue and Honolulu if one wanted something in the big city.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies