Would it bother you if the President was...(insert religious affiliation)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:53:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would it bother you if the President was...(insert religious affiliation)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
An Atheist

A Muslim

A Buddhist

An Evangelical

NOTA, any would be fine

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Would it bother you if the President was...(insert religious affiliation)  (Read 1238 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2019, 11:30:55 AM »
« edited: January 13, 2019, 08:01:15 PM by TDAS04 »

Voted NOTA.  The President's religion shouldn't matter, as long as he/she doesn't govern according to his/her beliefs.

If I had to pick one to be concerned about it, it would be the evangelical, since I'm a gay, pro-feminist, social liberal.  Yes, I'd be more concerned about an evangelical POTUS than a Muslim POTUS, as no Muslim would get anywhere in the US politically by supporting Sharia Law.

These kind of statements need to go and crawl in a pit and never return. Barely any American muslims would want this. If I was in leadership, my religion would have no influence on my policy. That's personal. Hate me because of my policy and immaturity and idiocy, not because of my religion, of which I would never use to oppress or harm anyone.

Settle down.  There was nothing anti-Muslim about that statement.  (Though I understand why someone could interpret it as anti-evangelical).  I clearly stated a Muslim president would be fine, as any Muslim elected POTUS would not govern based on religion.  I appreciate that Muslim-Americans are well-educated and assimilated, and many are supportive of such issues as gay marriage.  The Muslim community in this country tends to understand that this country is supposed to respect diversity.

A Pence-style evangelical POTUS, on the other hand, would be a huge threat to social liberty, and not something to be desired by anyone concerned about women's rights, gay rights, or human rights in general.  And evangelical President, unlike a Muslim one, could easily be under the illusion that he speaks for a "moral majority", and has some divine obligation to govern as such.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies