Southern Candidates Forum Main Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:55:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Candidates Forum Main Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern Candidates Forum Main Thread  (Read 615 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »
« edited: January 17, 2019, 06:14:17 PM by thumb21 »

January 2019 Southern Regional Candidates Forum

Hello and welcome to the Southern Regional Candidates Forum for the upcoming regional elections starting on the 18th! This forum will consist of candidates being asked questions and responding. At any point, candidates can respond to other candidates.

If at any point you want to ask candidates questions, send me a PM.

Note: Only the candidates can write here. If you want to comment, the commentary thread is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=311125.msg6621243#msg6621243

Candidates:

Governor -
Incumbent Governor Tmthforu94 of the Federalist Party

Chamber of Delegates -
Incumbent Delegate Alancia of the Federalist Party
Incumbent Delegate CMB222 of the Federalist Party
Incumbent Delegate Tack50
Former Acting Governor TheSaint250 of the Federalist Party
Incumbent Southern Speaker TimTurner of the Labour Party
Trajan of the Peace Party
Incumbent Deputy Southern Speaker Wulfric of the Labour Party

Candidates, please make your opening statements!
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »

Thank you! It's a pleasure to be here with all other candidates in the region.

As you all probably know, next week the Southern Regional elections will take place and I'm running to retain my appointed seat in the Chamber of Delegates.

The Southern government in general is very well considered and one of the best ran in the nation. Over the last term, the legislature has seen an incredibly productive term, with no less than 40 bills considered! In my time in the legislature I've been the proud sponsor of one of those bills as well as of several ammendments that have allowed other bills to pass.

In terms of policy I've been mostly moderate on most issues I'd say. I won't hide my personal leanings. I believe in action against climate change (in fact the bill I authored was intended towards that in part) and protecting the environment. I belive that all Southerners deserve equal treatment and equal opportunities regardless of their circumstances.

If elected, I pledge to keep serving the Southern people as I've been doing until now, doing what's best for the South without regards to labels or ideology and to stay as a constructive and active voice in the legislature.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 10:14:59 PM »

Firstly, I would like to thank the people of the South for tuning in, my fellow candidates for joining, and Thumb21 for hosting this forum, the first that I have participated in.

As a former Delegate, Deputy Speaker, Speaker, and Acting Governor, I am thrilled at the possibility of serving the South once more.  In my time, I have authored a number of bills, twelve of which have been successfully signed into law.  I legislated from the center and made sure to compromise when needed so that I could do what was best for the Southern people.  My focus was always on a clean environment, better education, civil liberties, and other issues crucial to the South's success. 

If I have the honor to be elected once more, I will keep my focus on the issues of the South, be an active legislator, and be ready to fight for you, the Southern people, in all ways possible.  Thank you.
alancia
Argentina

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:05:05 AM »

Hello. I would like to give my thanks first to our host, Thumb21 for making this forum possible. The people of the Southern Region, which are watching this event, deserve to known their candidates and their politicians which represent them, their views, and their families.

As a recently newly appointed Southern Delegate, my first political office, I would like to make this transparency happen. As a proud Main Street Federalist, it is my goal to make a South which works for everyone; taking care of our economy while providing for our people, with opportunities for all. My focus as a Southern Delegate will be so that this happens efficiently and without delay.

If Elected, I will pledge to be an active legislator in the Chamber of Delegates, and work with every other Delegate so this happens.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 05:45:33 PM »

Thank you for agreeing to host this, Thumb21, and thank you to citizens who are reading this and becoming informed voters.

Former Governor Fairboi failed our region. After failed leadership, which included a very poor budget, he abandoned The People and left the region in disarray. I came into office in July with a simple goal: restore the greatness of our region.

The past few months have been tumultuous across Atlasia - there have been crises at the federal and regional levels. With very high turnover in the legislature and war with the raccoon resistance, we had the potential of having the same thing happen in The South. I have led this region with strength and have helped set our region up for success going forward. You will see evidence of that by the many great candidates we currently have running for Chamber, many who I appointed.

We accomplished so much in the second half of 2018, but I have a feeling that 2019 will be even greater. Next session we will see the budget debated on. While our budget is in much better shape than what Fairboi had created, as well as what we're seeing in Fremont, I still think there is room for improvement, and rather than punting the issue for another year, I will work very hard in the coming months to make sure we have a great budget. This budget will adequately fund our essential government services without overtaxing you.

Re-elect me as your governor and we will continue to see progress in The South. We have the greatest region in the game, I intend to keep it that way as long as I'm Governor.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »

Thank you for your opening statements, candidates!

Candidates, please answer the following questions!

Economic Policy:
> Technological changes are constantly reshaping the economy. How should policy be adapted to deal with these changes?
> What policy proposals do you have to create more jobs and generate economic growth?

Social Issues:
> What are your views on the name change?
> What policies do you support regarding the environment?

Game Issues:
> What can be done to limit inactivity in the South?
> What is your view on how the relationship between regional and federal government should be?

Individual Questions:
> To Tack50: What is your proudest achievement in the Chamber of Delegates so far?
> To TheSaint250: What is your proudest achievement during your previous time in the Chamber of Delegates?
> To Alancia: In your opening statement, you described yourself as a "Main Street Federalist." Could you expand on this?
> From Mr. Reactionary to all Chamber of Delegates candidates: What 5 policies would you like to see bills address in the next session?
> To Tmthforu94: Although we haven't received any figures on the economic performance of the region, you have been optimistic that once the figures come out, they will show that the economy is doing well. Could you expand on this?
> From Mr. Reactionary to Tmthforu94: What should the Southern Region's official Kanto Pokemon lineup (6 Pokemon team) be?

Thank you Mr. Reactionary for your questions!

Note: Only the candidates can write here. If you want to comment, the commentary thread is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=311125.msg6621243#msg6621243
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:11 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, we should keep trying to keep up with technological change, and not just keep up, but be at the front of technological change.

One of the big failures of the new technological economy however has been that while it has benefited most people overall, it has still left a large amount of people stuck behind. We can't allow people to fall behind and we must opt for retraining programs so that everyone has a chance at succeeding in the new economy.

In terms of new jobs and ecnomic growth, I belive that the current policies are fine as the economy is steadily rising. In the long term we have to ensure that small businesses have a good climate to develop and grow, but we should not sweep the working class under the rug to do so.

However, I think current economic policies are fine, though if the budget surplus ends up being confirmed I could see an argument to have better welfare programs so that the extra money ends up in the hands of the Southern people.

I personally do not support the name change, as "The South" is a better name and fits the region better. However it's not a priority for me.

As for the environment, I think the number 1 focus should be to try and curb carbon emmissions with a carbon tax or a cap and trade policy, by expanding the current federal carbon tax. Another measure I would take would be to improve mobility, particularly by expanding access to public transport. I support expanding current public transport services and also expanding rail services across the region. 

We can't keep the environment clean alone, and I also support making deals with other countries to get the entire world to reduce carbon emissions, as climate change is probably one of the biggest threats facing humanity. However, I will admit that's something better left for the federal Congress and the Secretary of state and not the regional legislature

Unfortunately, other than electing legislators and governors that are active, and voting them out if they aren't active enough (or in special cases, censoring them), I don't there isn't really much that can be done about inactivity. If necessary activity requirements could be made harsher or censoring motions could be made more common, but those also can reduce accessibility.

In any case, the South is thankfully not having a big problem with activity. Both the governor and the legislature have been extremely active this last term. The big problem (if at all) seems to be with turnover as tmthforu94 said.

As for the relation between the federal and regional governments, they are fine as is, at least for the moment. Ideally there should be more interactions between them, but I fear the current system is barely working, so adding more complicated mechanics might break it. However I do think we should try to get simple ways to add interaction between regional and federal governments that don't require too much effort.

After checking all the bills I've taken part on with more than a simple yes or no vote, probably my proudest achievement (that actually passed that is) was probably my ammendment to the INFOWARS act. It was a kind of silly bill, but thanks to my ammendment it went from a hopeless bill to a bill that passed unanimously, and that ammendment was celebrated by pretty much everyone in the legislature.

As for 5 policies I'd like to see adressed they are probably transportation improvements, a bill improving schooling (I actually proposed one but quickly retired it since it was "broken" without chance of repair), a bill to improve the living conditions of the working class, a bill to transition to clean energy and probably some sort of social issues bill for good measure, that improves the freedom of people to live their lives like they want without discrimination.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:34:21 AM »

> Technological changes are constantly reshaping the economy. How should policy be adapted to deal with these changes?

It is amazing to see the technological progress of not just our region but the nation as a whole.  During my time away from the Chamber of Delegates, I have witnessed members of my community launch initiatives designed to boost STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) programs in schools prior to college.  It is clear that we should be taking advantage of early education to introduce students more intensely to technology and its applications in our world.  By 2020, it is projected that the total number of STEM jobs will increase by 14%, and our students and post-graduate citizens must be prepared to fulfill these roles.  As a Delegate, I will continue to strongly support education reform as I have in the past, working to reduce the bureaucratic non-necessities that cost school districts proper funding and hurt students' developments.

However, it is not solely the responsibility of educational facilities for minors.  We have seen workers grow more and more disenchanted with policymakers because they feel as though the technological advances are harming their livelihoods without consequences.  I plan to work with my colleagues in encouraging greater introduction to technology in existing markets and communities so as to train all generations currently involved in or preparing to join the work force for the continuing technological revolution.

> What policy proposals do you have to create more jobs and generate economic growth?

Firstly, I would like to applaud the hard work of Governor Tmthforu4 and the members of the Chamber of Delegates in ensuring that our region continues to grow.  However, Fremont and Lincoln have shown their resilience in remaining in front of us.  To find an answer to this question, I would look no further than states within the South, such as Texas and my home state of Florida.  Leaders have worked hard to attract businesses and grow their states, with Florida even reaching a GDP of $1 trillion earlier last year as a result of its tremendous success.  I would like to see that success repeated at the regional level, with the Governor and Delegates working actively to pursue policies ensuring that families seeking to establish better lives, entrepreneurs, and businesses are not threatened by the possibility of rising taxes.  Encouraging business leaders to move their bases of operations to the South will not only open up possibilities in reducing unemployment but also generate economic growth at a faster rate than seen previously.

> What are your views on the name change?

As some might know, I did vote in favor of changing the name of our region to Jefferson so as to align ourselves with a defining figure in Atlasian history as Lincoln and Fremont have.  It is an answer to the calls of the people, and while we will always be "The South" at heart, I believe that this is a defining moment in our history.

> What policies do you support regarding the environment?

I have always been a committed environmentalist, and my record in the Chamber of Delegates supports this.  As an elected member, the first personally authored piece of legislation that passed was the creation of the Department of Infrastructure and Environment, and a later session resulted in the passage of the Recycling Awareness in Schools Act.  I look forward to promoting the department and ensuring the continual enforcement of increased recycling in schools.  Speaking on a more personal level, the State of Florida has suffered from red tide and blue-green algae blooms, which have resulted in the deaths of sea life and affected tourism levels in a negative manner.  I am calling for increased spending designed to tackle these dangers to the health of the state, as well as establish effective precedents in the case that Florida and any other Southern state suffer the same fate in the future.

Additionally, I am a strong advocate of the use of renewable energy, favoring an effective but stable transition from fossil fuel use to the use of solar and wind power.  I oppose the expansion of offshore drilling and the expansion of fracking operations in the South.  There is no doubt that I will be communicating with my colleagues and authoring bills tackling these issues and promoting fossil fuels.

> What can be done to limit inactivity in the South?

As Atlasians have seen time and time again, there is no uniform solution to boosting activity.  However, this does not mean that we as Delegates should not try.  Civic engagement is key to this, for Delegates must take more time to communicate with Southerners, whether that involves town halls are simply being more open to suggestions.  Furthermore, we must encourage Southerners to become more involved in politics so as to introduce the next generation of leaders to the political process.

> What is your view on how the relationship between regional and federal government should be?

I am happy with how the regional and federal governments have been cooperating, yet it is still up to the regional government to protect the federalist system set up by the Constitution.

> To TheSaint250: What is your proudest achievement during your previous time in the Chamber of Delegates?

My proudest achievement truly was assuming the speakership and governorship for the amount of time that I did.  While this is not specific legislation or an action, I was able to gain a greater appreciation for the South and how to truly be a representative of the people.  We went through a time of instability and lack of reassurances, yet after getting accustomed to my positions, I was able to get activity going again, introduce legislation, and encourage debate.  I hope to resume such leadership and communication with my colleagues and the people of the South.

> From Mr. Reactionary to all Chamber of Delegates candidates: What 5 policies would you like to see bills address in the next session?

As addressed previously, three policies I would like to see bills address in the next session are tackling Florida's algae blooms, supporting renewable energy, and reforming the education system to promote STEM programs.  Two other policies I would like to see bills address are protecting civil liberties (freedom of speech, etc.) and attracting families and businesses to the South to reduce unemployment and increase economic growth.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 09:58:13 PM »

Hello, and thank you for hosting this forum.

During the past two months, I served as Deputy Speaker, and at some points it seemed like I was the Actual Speaker. Under my semi-leadership, the chamber worked hard. Over the course of the session, we brought several dozen bills to the floor, and a strong majority were signed into law. We worked our way through a large queue of bills filed by a representative shortly before he departed, and still made time for those bills existing members wished to file. I believe I conducted the job in a non-partisan way, and believe I also cast votes that the residents of the South would at least understand if not outright agree with.

If I am re-elected, I plan to turn my attention immediately to an update to the Chamber's Rules that will dispose of a potential dangerous loophole regarding the queue along with clauses I believe are duplicitous.  I also have ideas with regard to how to most fairly consider the upcoming budget, in which the Chamber may deal with a large number of amendments and will certainly deal with a large number of complex issues.

The South must be at the front of the technological economy, and we should invest in retraining programs, supplemental appropriations to enable our businesses to succeed, and carefully targeted tax credits. We should also ensure that sufficient Computer Use and Computer Science classes are avaliable in our high schools and Colleges, including ensuring that lower-level courses are available even to those who are not majoring in an engineering discipline.

I believe that the South is on a good trajectory in terms of the economy and we do not need serious policy change in this area. However, I'm always willing to look at where we can safely curb overburdening regulations and especially as we consider the budget, I would certainly look to see if there are areas in the budget that we could change or redirect to help job creation.

I support the name change, I simply believed it was not appropriate to risk the comprehensive amendment failing based on inclusion of the name change, which is a divisive issue in the region. I will work if re-elected to see that the region does get a fair up or down vote on the name change. If the legislature is cooperative, we could potentially move on this during the lame duck session - if not, it would be pursued very early in the new session.

Climate change is real and is being caused by Humans. If Labor solidifies its majority in these elections, we can pursue real policy in this area, such as working to phase out some fossil fuels, providing additional incentives for businesses to adopt renewable energy, better enforcing existing law, and perhaps a Carbon Tax.

The biggest thing that can be done to limit inactivity is for voters to hold their representatives accountable. We should be willing to vote out inactive representatives of all stripes, even if that results in the election of an active opponent. As it did this term with two inactive delegates, the southern legislature must continue to push the people to pursue recall when delegates abandon their jobs. People should realize that when they join the chamber, they are making a commitment to the entirety of the term. I think if you look through my record, you will see that I have always served actively, for the entire term to which I was elected or appointed, and have often gone above the pure "job description".

I believe the relationship between the federal and regional government should be cooperative whenever possible. In this spirit, I did not allow the chamber to consider a proposed resolution to censure the Atlasian House of Representatives. There is nothing wrong with voicing our disagreements, but we also must work together as much as possible to deliver only the best for the Region and for Atlasia as a whole.

1. Updates/Reforms to the Chamber Rules and Budget Consideration Process
2. Environmental Policy
3. Retraining, Tax Credits to promote technological advancement
4. Additional Judicial Reform
5. Passing the Budget (on Time)

Blastoise
Vileplume
Rapidash
Raichu
Alakazam
Articuno
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 06:16:48 PM »

Thank you candidates for participation in this debate! Good luck in the election!

This concludes the debate, if you have any comments, go to the commentary thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=311125.msg6621243#msg6621243
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 10:54:17 PM »

Sorry – very busy week so trying to answer these as quickly as possible!
Quite simply, it is an all of the above approach as technology is rapidly changing every aspect of our life, even considering how it was when Atlasia was founded 14+ years ago. Government policies should promote and incentivize technological investment while also ensuring that The People's right to privacy is respected.

I think we already have a tax structure that promotes economic growth and encourages businesses to come to The South. As Governor my responsibility is to represent that nation abroad. I have met with many business leaders across the globe encouraging them to invest in our region. With the war over and our economy beginning recovery, I believe the strength's of our people will make The South a very attractive region for GOOD jobs, and I will work hard every day to bring them here.

My preference is The South but the name change debate isn't a major focus. The People voted for Jefferson by a narrow margin, the legislature didn't feel comfortable including it in the constitutional amendment as it would potentially put the amendment's passage in jeopardy. It can certainly can (and should) be revisited again in the future.

I support an all of the above approach when it comes to energy solutions, planning for our children’s future that is safe and economical is crucial. The South took a big step two years ago with a major investment in nuclear energy.

Game Issues:
Unfortunately we’ll never have a definite solution to inactivity, many will naturally lose interest in the game after a while. I think it is important to constantly be working to get new people involved and interested so that we are constantly having a fresh perspective in the region.

Individual Questions:
The South has continued to deregulate and create a business friendly environment while other regions have increased regulations. We have great tax rates, the best in the game. I have been a constant advocate for economic growth by meeting with businesses abroad and bringing jobs to the region. The activity of our legislature has been fantastic, we've passed income tax credits as well (credit to our debate moderator) and our region is safer with the raccoon crisis mostly alleviated. We are making The South not only a business-friendly region, but also a great place to live and raise a family.

Not skilled enough on Pokemon to fully commit (though willing to learn) - I am a fan of Charmander (as it has been known) and Jolteon.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies