Who's more likely to get reelected in 2020, Will Hurd or Anthony Brindisi?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:07:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who's more likely to get reelected in 2020, Will Hurd or Anthony Brindisi?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See title
Will Hurd

Anthony Brindisi

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Who's more likely to get reelected in 2020, Will Hurd or Anthony Brindisi?  (Read 2058 times)
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:40:08 AM »

One of the most vulnerable Republicans in 2020 vs one of the most vulnerable Democrats.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:35:02 AM »

Right now probably Hurd. Yes, all of his races have been close, but he's proven himself to be talented by managing to survive presidential turnout and Beto's coattails, even as the much more experienced Culberson and Sessions went down this year. His reelection is still far from assured.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »

Right now probably Hurd. Yes, all of his races have been close, but he's proven himself to be talented by managing to survive presidential turnout and Beto's coattails, even as the much more experienced Culberson and Sessions went down this year. His reelection is still far from assured.

I agree Brindisi's probably more vulnerable, but I'm not sure characterizing Culberson and Sessions as "experienced" is particularly accurate. Neither faced a competitive election in pretty much their whole careers. Sessions was unopposed in 2016, for Christ's sake!
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 08:47:56 AM »

I agree Brindisi's probably more vulnerable, but I'm not sure characterizing Culberson and Sessions as "experienced" is particularly accurate. Neither faced a competitive election in pretty much their whole careers. Sessions was unopposed in 2016, for Christ's sake!
Culberson never did but I learned sessions had a semi competetive 04 race against a rural democrat. He also ran the nrcc in 2010 so had some idea.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 12:14:30 PM »

I don't know much about Brindisi or NY-22 except that it's a normally Republican-leaning area, but I voted for Hurd. O'Rourke driving out voters certainly had a part in keeping Hurd's margin of victory very narrow, but the former's victory in the district despite the latter's re-election shows that Hurd still has crossover appeal. At this point in time, I can't see Trump in Texas in 2020 winning by as little as Cruz did, so I would assume that Hurd holds on. Yes, Trump will likely still lose TX-23, but if Hurd remains non-controversial and has a bipartisan, moderate appeal, he will hold on.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 01:26:04 PM »

I don't know much about Brindisi or NY-22 except that it's a normally Republican-leaning area, but I voted for Hurd. O'Rourke driving out voters certainly had a part in keeping Hurd's margin of victory very narrow, but the former's victory in the district despite the latter's re-election shows that Hurd still has crossover appeal. At this point in time, I can't see Trump in Texas in 2020 winning by as little as Cruz did, so I would assume that Hurd holds on. Yes, Trump will likely still lose TX-23, but if Hurd remains non-controversial and has a bipartisan, moderate appeal, he will hold on.

I think O rourke won the Bexar county part but did really bad in the rest of the district where Hispanic turnout was low. Hillary won the district by 3 but lost Bexar by 2 . Beto must have won the Bexar by like 8 points but maybe even lost the rest of the district. Beto only won the district by 5 compared to the double digit win of the 32nd despite the PVI of the 23rd being only R+2.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:36:50 AM »

Hurd
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »

Brindisi.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 03:37:05 PM »

Hurd- About 30% chance. Yes he outran Beto but OJ was triaged and he still barely scraped by.
Brindisi- About 5 % chance, he's screwed. Tenney was a tea partier, which this district doesn't seem to care for. A more trumpish republican should easily win in 2020, especially with Trump himself on the ballot
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 03:42:56 PM »

Hurd- About 30% chance. Yes he outran Beto but OJ was triaged and he still barely scraped by.
Brindisi- About 5 % chance, he's screwed. Tenney was a tea partier, which this district doesn't seem to care for. A more trumpish republican should easily win in 2020, especially with Trump himself on the ballot

Tbh Gina Ortiz jones margin was impressive relative to Beto considering she was triaged,hurd was actually the only gop rep in texas who was moderate at all and he wasn't a lazy ass who knew how to campaign. If Bustos doesn't try to recruit her it would be weird. Jones deserves a rematch.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:07 AM »

History says Hurd, since he's he longer term incumbent with a history of winning in competitive elections and presidential years. Plus, 2020 is mostly defense in the House for Democrats.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »

History says Hurd, since he's he longer term incumbent with a history of winning in competitive elections and presidential years. Plus, 2020 is mostly defense in the House for Democrats.

Not likely with Trump still on the ballot.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »

In a neutral year or better for Republicans, probably Hurd, but if it's a good year for Democrats, Brindisi.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 08:10:49 PM »

So basically this is asking "Do you think 2020 will be another Democratic wave?" If yes, then Brindisi. If no, then Hurd.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 10:50:12 PM »

Brindisi would lose even in a D wave year, so Hurd
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 02:12:46 AM »

Not likely with Trump still on the ballot.
He's won with Trump on the ballot before...also, Trump was basically on the ballot in 2018
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 07:47:58 AM »

Frankly, I thought Brindisi would win by way more than he did. Tenney was such a terrible fit for that district and the fact that it was that close tells me any Trump type R would win there. Is that Nicholas Wan guy gonna run again?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2019, 08:23:03 AM by lfromnj »

Frankly, I thought Brindisi would win by way more than he did. Tenney was such a terrible fit for that district and the fact that it was that close tells me any Trump type R would win there. Is that Nicholas Wan guy gonna run again?
I thought he would lose considering it was a trump plus 16 district thats trending r
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 08:38:29 AM »

I thought he would lose considering it was a trump plus 16 district thats trending r

You were missing one key stat. Teeney's popularity. She was rather hated in the district, so it makes total sense why this seat flipped. Popularity, or at least relative popularity, is the best factor to tell who will win a race.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 08:20:21 AM »

Will Hurd is my instinct, but there's no way to really tell at this stage.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies