Modi and the 2002 Gujarat Riots
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:49:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Modi and the 2002 Gujarat Riots
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Modi and the 2002 Gujarat Riots  (Read 748 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2019, 03:27:00 AM »

I see many people make this point over and over again when at this point it is nothing but slander the INC uses against him.

He was cleared by the courts multiple times and the fact is at this point using this to attack him is equivalent to the GOP's attack on Hillary of Benghazi.

So Modi isnt India's Putin , Assad, or Erdogan like many say on here or any other dictator , at worst you can call him India's Dubya or Trump.

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 03:53:32 AM »

I don't think it's slander but it was a complicated situation.  Also, Modi did a lot of positive things in his time as governor.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 04:33:56 AM »

I don't think it's slander but it was a complicated situation.  Also, Modi did a lot of positive things in his time as governor.

The slander is the statement that he was involved in the riots
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 04:37:38 AM »

He facilitated the riots through his inaction.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 04:40:24 AM »

That's one part of it, but it's questionable what could have been done.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 04:41:30 AM »

I don't think it's slander but it was a complicated situation.  Also, Modi did a lot of positive things in his time as governor.

The problem is in India once a riot like that happens , things can get bad really fast like they did in 2002 Gujarat and there is little the state government can do take action.

If a country as advanced as the US  have something like this could happen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Detroit_riot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles_riots

imagine a country like India which is nowhere near as advanced as the US and has had many law and order problems.

Also this was a statement from investigators into this case:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Gujarat_riots

PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 01:53:54 PM »

While he did not instigate the riots, he practically did nothing to cool things down and brushed the whole thing under the rug. Either way, how anyone could see a bright side to a person believing and enforcing a caste system is beyond reason.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »

I think it is mostly about the police standing down during the riots.  But it is not clear that was on Modi's orders.   Also there are plenty of communal riots (1984 Delhi and 1992 Mumbai riots etc etc) where you can argue that INC politicians were equally or even more implicit than Modi in 2002 Gujarat.    Back in the 1950s and 1960s when INC was much less dependent on the Muslim vote than today there were mini versions of 2002 Gujarat all over Northern India mostly wiped out by INC political leader for political benefit.  In many cases the social background of the police officers themselves make them sympathetic to the riot perpetrators regardless of the position of the CM. 

What I would say is is there is something to "charge" Modi with is the 2002 Gujarat assembly elections where he ran a very communally charged campaign.  He tried to call an election right after the riots to cash in on the Hindu consolidation but was stopped.  On principle there is nothing wrong with that from my point of view but Indian election law does, in theory, say that caste or communal appeals are not allowed in elections but in reality it is ignored by all sides.  So all in all Modi was not saint in this entire process but I can point to plenty of INC politicians that are no better.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »

While he did not instigate the riots, he practically did nothing to cool things down and brushed the whole thing under the rug. Either way, how anyone could see a bright side to a person believing and enforcing a caste system is beyond reason.

https://www.apnews.com/f121709d41b24cf5b3b1d37266145fc7

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies