Modi and the 2002 Gujarat Riots (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:17:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Modi and the 2002 Gujarat Riots (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Modi and the 2002 Gujarat Riots  (Read 749 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« on: January 13, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »

I think it is mostly about the police standing down during the riots.  But it is not clear that was on Modi's orders.   Also there are plenty of communal riots (1984 Delhi and 1992 Mumbai riots etc etc) where you can argue that INC politicians were equally or even more implicit than Modi in 2002 Gujarat.    Back in the 1950s and 1960s when INC was much less dependent on the Muslim vote than today there were mini versions of 2002 Gujarat all over Northern India mostly wiped out by INC political leader for political benefit.  In many cases the social background of the police officers themselves make them sympathetic to the riot perpetrators regardless of the position of the CM. 

What I would say is is there is something to "charge" Modi with is the 2002 Gujarat assembly elections where he ran a very communally charged campaign.  He tried to call an election right after the riots to cash in on the Hindu consolidation but was stopped.  On principle there is nothing wrong with that from my point of view but Indian election law does, in theory, say that caste or communal appeals are not allowed in elections but in reality it is ignored by all sides.  So all in all Modi was not saint in this entire process but I can point to plenty of INC politicians that are no better.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies