Northern Ireland/Ulster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:44:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Northern Ireland/Ulster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Northern Ireland/Ulster  (Read 11730 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 06:30:52 AM »

Thats another thing that annoys me! The stupidity displayed by some Celtic and Rangers fans both sides of the Irish Sea. They are GLASGOW....SCOTTISH teams- I wish people would stop hijacking it for religious means, and that goes to not only those from Northern Ireland, but from Scotland too. That said- congratulations Celtic on winning the title this year;) I'm local- I have an excuse!

It's funny...I always rooted for Celtic, but that's just b/c Henrik Larson plays there. Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 08:07:01 AM »

Thats another thing that annoys me! The stupidity displayed by some Celtic and Rangers fans both sides of the Irish Sea. They are GLASGOW....SCOTTISH teams- I wish people would stop hijacking it for religious means, and that goes to not only those from Northern Ireland, but from Scotland too. That said- congratulations Celtic on winning the title this year;) I'm local- I have an excuse!

Used to be the same with Liverpool v Everton...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 08:18:23 AM »

Anyone here ever been to Shankill or the Falls?

No... no I haven't... and I wouldn't want to either... Shankill is about 90% Protestant and Falls about 90% Catholic...

I would want to go to see the Peace Wall and the Murals. Better not wear my Rangers top to Falls though.

Wearing a Rangers top in the Falls isn't reeeeeeeally a good idea... actually going to both Shankill and Falls in the same day is something to brag about...
Lotsa riot police done that. Smiley
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2004, 12:37:26 AM »

Well, at this point I'm the only one voting for 'Another Partition'. To the maximum extent possible, chop them up again, since obviously it wasn't done quite right the last time around. Let the Republic of Ireland inherit the leftist nutcases of Sinn Fein (not that they really want them, but that's how it goes) and the United Kingdom can keep the right-wing Unionists. Damned if I know just what such a map would look like, but since neither the Protestants nor the Catholics will willingly live under the other's rule, apply the Israel/Palestine approach - separation.

And to those who said 'give it to Ireland'...result: instant Unionist uprising and guerrilla war - the mirror of what's been going on up to this point. That's not gonna work, folks...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2004, 03:23:58 AM »

Actually a Unionist uprising would be far worse... most Catholics in NI live out in the Sticks... same can't be said for Protestants.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2004, 05:24:45 AM »

Eire annexes NI.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2004, 06:02:15 AM »

Damned if I know just what such a map would look like...
Outside Belfast it would actually work just fine. If you look at a map of the 2001 election results you'll find that the 6 Constituencies bordering the Republic are 6 of the 7 to be won by Catholics. What to do about West Belfast is the big question...There would of course be Protestants included in the Republic as well, but the 1920s show that that's not really a problem. As long as they aren't Presbyterians.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies