Is it hypocritical for hipster Christians to take communion in a Catholic style?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:54:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is it hypocritical for hipster Christians to take communion in a Catholic style?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is it hypocritical for hipster Christians to take communion in a Catholic style?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: Is it hypocritical for hipster Christians to take communion in a Catholic style?  (Read 535 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 24, 2019, 11:05:49 PM »
« edited: February 24, 2019, 11:14:48 PM by Julian Assange is a Snowflake »

So today we did communion again, something we're doing every week for this series (which is called "Liturgy" and actually consists of some liturgical elements), and I noticed this. For one some people in line had their hands out folded on top of each other, which doesn't make a lot of sense since aren't handed the bread but break a piece off and then dunk it in the wine. And...I saw some people doing the sign of the cross after receiving it.

And yes, I know those aren't exclusively Catholic things, but it seemed like people were still doing communion in the habits they were raised in (in this case not just Catholic but also lots of raised Lutherans and probably some Episcopalians, people do those things receiving communion in Lutheran churches frequently too and I don't doubt in Episcopalian ones), but that alone just seems like a very un-hipster Christian thing.

Also I met a guy and his wife talking after the service and the guy was a bouncer at my favorite club for awhile and thus has probably checked my ID, but the coolest thing ever: This guy and his wife were actually married by a Christian hardcore vocalist, who is also the guy who wrote the line "I don't worship a concept, I follow a king." HOW AMAZING IS THAT?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 11:51:11 PM »

I'm tempted to say "it's not nearly as hypocritical as it is for Catholics to take communion in a Catholic style" or some such bon mot.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:27:22 AM »

I would have imagined that the most Hipster Christian way to receive communion would have been to treat the Eucharist as a casual meal where everyone lounges around drinking wine and chatting, as it likely was for the first Christians. Are there not churches which do this?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »

I would have imagined that the most Hipster Christian way to receive communion would have been to treat the Eucharist as a casual meal where everyone lounges around drinking wine and chatting, as it likely was for the first Christians. Are there not churches which do this?

There was a church in Brooklyn that met in a bar for their evening services (and thus had a 21+ age restriction) with a bartender serving communion, and only stopped because the bar closed.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 04:30:29 PM »

who care
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »

Nah, as a Restorationist I'm pretty laid-back about communion in general.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 05:01:00 PM »

Nah, as a Restorationist I'm pretty laid-back about communion in general.

This. Except none of that alcohol BS.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies