How does the GOP rebrand and reinvent nationally as a party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:47:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How does the GOP rebrand and reinvent nationally as a party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How does the GOP rebrand and reinvent nationally as a party?  (Read 3645 times)
Seven_Costanza
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »

Political pendulums swing. We are a two-party nation, but we want more options, but stuck with the GOP and Democratic Parties.

How does the GOP rebrand and reinvent itself nationally as a party, after Donald Trump, Mike Pence, Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh? The party is popular in the South, the Midwest (Heartland), but not popular in the East and West Coasts. The Republicans almost lost Georgia, Arizona, Texas in the 2018 midterms. They lost the Northeast and West since 2006 and 2008 elections.

They did not listen to the 2012 post-election autopsy which showed that the GOP needs to do better with black, Latinos, women, white college educated voters. Although, Trump did better than John McCain and Mitt Romney with black and Latinos despite his negative remarks towards them.

Midwestern states with large white populations and large black urban populations like Ohio and Missouri are trending Republican, they can't rely on these states along with AR, KY, WV forever.

Once the older, whiter conservatives in the Villages, Florida die off, will Florida be reliably Republican voting in off-year elections? Young Cuban-Americans in Florida are swingy/Independent, although they still are economic conservatives.

Social conservatism is not popular in the East and West Coasts, but still is seen as popular in some Midwestern and Southern precincts.

How does the GOP rebrand and reinvent nationally as a party post-Trump?

Funny how they went from 206 to 306, though.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 07:56:32 PM »

Truth be told Drumpf coalition would probably be quite salient it if wasn't for his sleaze and Russiagate. We see that increasingly in Europe. It's a question of the messenger, not the message.

I will also add they will eventually have no choice but to counter Democrats over-the-top female identity politics by playing over-the-top male identity politics. It's the only way they will start peeling off a good chunk of non-whites votes.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2019, 08:57:07 PM »

Truth be told Drumpf coalition would probably be quite salient it if wasn't for his sleaze and Russiagate. We see that increasingly in Europe. It's a question of the messenger, not the message.

I will also add they will eventually have no choice but to counter Democrats over-the-top female identity politics by playing over-the-top male identity politics. It's the only way they will start peeling off a good chunk of non-whites votes.

It wouldn't work, because for Republicans their over the top identity politics is all about defending entrenched interests, and most minority males won't sympathize with that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 09:03:51 PM »

The GOP is still doing better than the Democrats, so if the former need to reinvent themselves the latter even more so.
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 12:21:15 AM »

The GOP is still doing better than the Democrats, so if the former need to reinvent themselves the latter even more so.

Seriously; the Republicans control the Senate, the Presidency, and the courts. Whatever they're doing now is working wonderfully for them.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 02:03:28 AM »

Seriously; the Republicans control the Senate, the Presidency, and the courts. Whatever they're doing now is working wonderfully for them.

Not to mention they still control the majority of the state legislatures and governor's mansions.  For the short-to-medium term, they are fine.  And when the tide inevitably turns, the conservative movement (through the Federalist Society) will still have immense power and influence in the federal judiciary just as the Federalist Party still held residual power in the courts even as the Democratic-Republicans under Thomas Jefferson surged to the fore after the election of 1800. 

Marbury vs. Madison, anyone? 
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 09:14:16 PM »

Drop anti-gay marriage, drop abortion and push a basic income instead of either the existing system or the current fiscally/economically insane practice of focusing on "job creation"/"good jobs".
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2019, 02:38:29 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2019, 02:41:51 PM by olowakandi »

2016 was supposed to usher in a brand new Democratic majority; however, Trump exceeded expectations and won

I dont know how the GOP rebrand itself, in the new economy, absent fossil fuel technology. GoP relied on wars to get elected. We are developing new technology, so that wars arent necessary, therefore, continue fossil fuel development and developing nuclear and solar power energy. Thats why Korea backed down. They have nuclear power energy
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 11:29:08 PM »

If we are talking about how will the GOP ideologically evolve the decade following the Trump Administration, I think it is plausible that the GOP could become:

1. Espousing some form of "economic nationalism"

2. Still relatively hardline on immigration

3. Cleaved between a social conservative and libertarian faction on social/cultural issues.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 07:03:36 AM »

They need to take a page from conservative parties in Canada and Europe. Specifically, they need to embrace the scientific consensus on climate change, as well as support some form of universal health care. They also need to embrace policies favorable to demographic groups other than white men.

They are pretty favorable toward Jewish people for the most part
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 11:11:17 AM »

They need to take a page from conservative parties in Canada and Europe. Specifically, they need to embrace the scientific consensus on climate change, as well as support some form of universal health care. They also need to embrace policies favorable to demographic groups other than white men.

Jews are a tiny portion of the population, and this group isn't getting any bigger... also, even if the GOP tries to paint Democrats as "anti-Jewish", Democrats will still continue to win the Jewish vote by a wide margin, as they have for many years now.

The GOP needs to win over a substantial number of Hispanic and Asian voters, as well as getting back to at least W. Bush numbers with college educated whites, if they want to remain nationally competitive in the near future.

I personally believe the GOP will eventually adapt, since this is a two-party system and I can't see them just continuing to run on  Trumpism when it won't work anymore. I expect them to be in the wilderness for some time before they realize what they have to do to win elections again, though.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2019, 01:37:38 PM »

Drop anti-gay marriage, drop abortion and push a basic income instead of either the existing system or the current fiscally/economically insane practice of focusing on "job creation"/"good jobs".

Why don't democrats drop their anti semitism first!
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2019, 09:09:33 PM by Virginiá »

Jews are a tiny portion of the population, and this group isn't getting any bigger... also, even if the GOP tries to paint Democrats as "anti-Jewish", Democrats will still continue to win the Jewish vote by a wide margin, as they have for many years now.

The GOP needs to win over a substantial number of Hispanic and Asian voters, as well as getting back to at least W. Bush numbers with college educated whites, if they want to remain nationally competitive in the near future.

I personally believe the GOP will eventually adapt, since this is a two-party system and I can't see them just continuing to run on  Trumpism when it won't work anymore. I expect them to be in the wilderness for some time before they realize what they have to do to win elections again, though.

deleted

Lol at your 4chan level name calling.

I never said Jews don't matter, I was trying to say that due to them being such a  small percentage of the population, Republicans won't be able to do substantially better in a presidential election just by improving with Jews.

I'm strongly against anti-Semitism, transphobia, and hatred or bigotry of any kind. unlike you, considering you used a slur to refer to trans people.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »

The only beneficial thing the GOP offer for Jews is support for Israel and even that limited to Netyanhu. If a new leader is elected to Israel from the left that supports normalizing relations with neighboring countries and denounces bigotry of Jews and Palestinians the GOP will kick them to the curve.
OctoCube
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 1.42

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:56 AM »

It's very strange to reinvent a party that isn't broken, especially since the party was essentially overhauled in 2016. I think this conversation is 3-4 years too late, as the GOP already shook up it's hard line against gay marriage, unwavering support for free trade, and it's wishy-washy policy on immigration. 
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 07:32:05 PM »

It's very strange to reinvent a party that isn't broken, especially since the party was essentially overhauled in 2016. I think this conversation is 3-4 years too late, as the GOP already shook up it's hard line against gay marriage, unwavering support for free trade, and it's wishy-washy policy on immigration. 

Their first election post “reinvention” they lost 40 seats with a good economy, no pressing emergencies , and a gerrymandered to hell house.  They should have never lost as many seats as they did. I mean there’s certainly something to be said about Ryan being a dumbass and putting up the repeal bill so many times when it wasn’t going to pass the senate and making the tax bill disproportionately hurt blue states but the real problem is Trump. He’s actively pushing places that were long term trending D like AZ, GA, and TX out of reach faster. Without those states there’s just not a path for the GOP to win the presidency in the near term
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »

Why would the GOP want to rebrand when it has like a 20 seat PVI advantage in the Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2019, 02:18:11 PM »

Why would the GOP want to rebrand when it has like a 20 seat PVI advantage in the Senate.

The GOP has a long history of blowing winnable seats that are very Republican by PVI, leveling the playing field greatly.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies