Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:50:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7335 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2019, 12:47:44 AM »

First, the ad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koPmuEyP3a0

Next, the backlash from individuals who don't like being told not to bully, sexually assault or rape people:  https://www.npr.org/2019/01/17/685976624/backlash-erupts-after-gillette-launches-a-new-metoo-inspired-ad-campaign
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:00:12 AM »

A.nobody that bullies, sexually assaults or rapes is going to not do those things because of this ad
2.they did it because men don't change what products they use and their first shaving products are usually bought by mom and mom's buy into crap like this
III.obvious virtue signaling is obvious

but yes, some yahoos were triggered by it, they should be made fun of.  Enjoy your recreational outrage at their recreational outrage.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:09:43 AM »

but yes, some yahoos were triggered by it, they should be made fun of.

If the nearly 1 million 'dislikes' on that YouTube video are anything to go by, we may have our work cut out for us.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:14:59 AM »

A.nobody that bullies, sexually assaults or rapes is going to not do those things because of this ad

What the ad says is that parents should teach their kids that it's not OK to do all these things, or engage in sexist behavior.
Is that too much for your libertarian sensitivities?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 02:18:03 AM »

I am just worried about the ways that this secular doctrine will continue to degrade the nuclear family at the expense of our society.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 02:30:20 AM »

What the ad says is that parents should teach their kids that it's not OK to do all these things, or engage in sexist behavior.
The vast majority of parents do do that, those that don't won't be swayed by this ad.  It's weird that you guys think they would.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 02:33:27 AM »

The vast majority of parents do do that, those that don't won't be swayed by this ad.  It's weird that you guys think they would.

No they don't. If they did then these things wouldn't be so prevalent in our societies.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 02:39:25 AM »

These things aren't that prevalent in society.  A tiny fraction of us does the majority of crime.

cite - 1 % of the population accountable for 63% of all violent crime convictions

But even if you were right and most people were running around physically assualting each other, this ad still wouldn't do a damn thing to change that.  Keep ignoring that point if you want, I'll keep mentioning it.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 02:44:10 AM »

It’s a fairly dumb enough ad on its own given how overpriced the razors are versus a service like dollar shave club which is the exact same quality. The ad doesn’t explain why anybody should go for Gillette other than vague motivational social commentary.
Coastal Elitist
Tea Party Hater
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: 2.26

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 02:54:03 AM »

It’s a fairly dumb enough ad on its own given how overpriced the razors are versus a service like dollar shave club which is the exact same quality. The ad doesn’t explain why anybody should go for Gillette other than vague motivational social commentary.
Which is really why they are getting so many dislikes on Youtube. Like why should I buy your product because of social commentary, doesn't make sense.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 03:08:41 AM »

Which is really why they are getting so many dislikes on Youtube. Like why should I buy your product because of social commentary, doesn't make sense.

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2019, 03:47:32 AM »

These things aren't that prevalent in society.  A tiny fraction of us does the majority of crime.

cite - 1 % of the population accountable for 63% of all violent crime convictions

But even if you were right and most people were running around physically assualting each other, this ad still wouldn't do a damn thing to change that.  Keep ignoring that point if you want, I'll keep mentioning it.

Bullying and sexism aren't crimes. But nice try to derail the conversation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 04:17:51 AM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 04:34:02 AM »

How old is that photo?  Was it from the last week or so?  If not, you don’t really seem to understand what has happened here, concerning Gillette’s rethinking of its own branding strategy.

Or just keep pretending not to care about ‘silly’ topics that you still insist on posting in.  Whatever, you do you.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 05:06:46 AM »

Deadoman is one of those people who think that coastal elitists wanting to confiscate everybody's guns is a bigger problem than bullying and sexual harassment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 05:14:17 AM »

my Google Fu tells me it was probably 2011 at a race in Zandvoort Netherlands
You must be logged in to read this quote.
It's fairly obvious that they are trying something new.  They have to, they've lost a ton of market share in the last decade.  The issues, as I've said several times now, are that this won't do anything to stop the things you guys seem to think it will stop and that it's rather obvious virtue signaling for $s.  Does a little virtue signaling make a long history of being exactly what they're signaling against go away if it pisses off the...ahem...."right" people?  'cause that's what it looks like after this and Nike last year.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm just chillin' at work, can't sleep, have to pass the time some how.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 08:08:04 AM »

Is it really asking us to not be bullies/rapists or is that spin in a vain attempt to defend its bigotry? Hmm.

Hmm....

Whatever the case may be, I'm glad it's getting the backlash it deserves. Hell...you don't have to be right-wing. I know lots of leftist men who are taking umbrage at Gillette for that ad. Meanwhile I'm enjoying life like my hero HillGoose does.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »

What snowflakes
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 08:14:39 AM »

I just watched this ad for the first time.

I honestly don't get how it could be offensive to anyone.  Literally all they're doing is saying it's not cool to be a bully and it's not cool to harass others.

So.....I just....I don't get the outrage.  The comments in this thread haven't explained the outrage either.  Can someone intelligently explain what's wrong with this ad?
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 08:17:13 AM »

I honestly don't get how it could be offensive to anyone.  Literally all they're doing is saying it's not cool to be a bully and it's not cool to harass others.

So.....I just....I don't get the outrage.  The comments in this thread haven't explained the outrage either.  Can someone intelligently explain what's wrong with this ad?

I think the idea is because they're implying that men are frequently like that. It would be like making an ad for junk food or wine, chastising women for frequently being histrionic entitled drama prone psychos responsible for ruining families/companies/nations, and telling them to drink/eat this to calm them down. Know what I'm saying?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 08:27:51 AM »

How does this work? "I accuse you of doing a lot of bad things because of your sex, and then I expect you to buy my stuff"?

Another brand I'm not buying anymore. Shaving with a machine is the kosher way anyway.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 08:34:35 AM »

How does this work? "I accuse you of doing a lot of bad things because of your sex, and then I expect you to buy my stuff"?
nope, This ad isn't aimed at men, it's aimed at moms...like I said earlier, they know men don't change products if they do the job and they know moms buy their son's first shaving products, this kind of cheap crap works on moms.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »

lolololol at anyone who thinks Dollar Shave Club is the same quality as Gillette. Lololololol. I stopped using Dollar Shave Club because of their crap quality and also their being bought out by overtly-racist Unilever.

Anyway, I appreciate Gillette's willingness to make an ad like this, and the backlash disgusts me. Who in their right mind would be angry about being told not to be a bully?

Exactly this. Apparently saying "don't be a jerk" is now, uh, "virtue-signaling" and something to be outraged about, I guess?
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »

Maybe it wasn't the best worded ad, but the message is very strong and I see nothing wrong with it. Boys will be boys, but no where should that excuse sexual assault or other violent behavior. Sadly, we live in a culture where this sort of thing is still acceptable. The backlash is a mix of fragile masculinity and overreaction from the far right.  There is nothing wrong with boys behaving properly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 10:58:43 AM »

nope, This ad isn't aimed at men, it's aimed at moms...like I said earlier, they know men don't change products if they do the job and they know moms buy their son's first shaving products, this kind of cheap crap works on moms.

Thank God there are vigilant dads like you to protect their kids from such underhanded tactics.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies