Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:38:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7334 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2019, 12:35:49 AM »

Question to the liberals: If a commercial asked Muslims not to be terrorists/extremists, how would you react?

If it were made by Muslims and aired on tv in Palestine and Iran, it could potentially be a great ad.

It's not really a good comparison in the US. There are what, a few thousand Americans who support Islamic terrorism, compared to what, several million Americans who have committed violence against women? Not sure on the exact numbers, but the latter group is certainly bigger by several orders of magnitude.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2019, 01:28:47 AM »

Question to the liberals: If a commercial asked Muslims not to be terrorists/extremists, how would you react?

That's not even the same thing, because terrorists are not exclusive to one group and it's not something that is normalized. Bullying and sexual harassment have been ingrained into some men as being masculine and tough traits.

So many things wrong with this response LMAO

1) “Terrorists are not exclusive to one group” is a reason why it’s different? Sorry to break it to you, but bullies and rapists aren’t always men. There are many, many cases of female rapists. This is not an argument.

But (most) rapists are men, you might say? I could make the same generalization about Muslims, but I don’t think many people would like that.

2) Terrorism is normalized in many parts of the world, just not as much in America due to restrictions on immigration of people from those countries.

I NEVER, EVER SAID THAT BULLIES AND RAPISTS ARE EXCLUSIVELY MEN. If you have an issue with the ad, that is your problem and not mine. Bringing up Muslims only serves to deflect from the issue that the ad is addressing, which is deeply rooted toxic behavior that many see as masculinity.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2019, 01:36:13 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2019, 01:42:34 AM by Devout Centrist »

Aren't most terrorist men?

Or are you the only person allowed to play devil's advocate?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2019, 06:26:23 PM »

You are implying that rapists are only men.

Ummmm...
Rapists are almost exclusively men due to practical reasons.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2019, 06:50:30 PM »

That's not even the same thing, because terrorists are not exclusive to one group and it's not something that is normalized. Bullying and sexual harassment have been ingrained into some men as being masculine and tough traits.

1) “Terrorists are not exclusive to one group” is a reason why it’s different? Sorry to break it to you, but bullies and rapists aren’t always men. There are many, many cases of female rapists. This is not an argument.

But (most) rapists are men, you might say? I could make the same generalization about Muslims, but I don’t think many people would like that.

2) Terrorism is normalized in many parts of the world, just not as much in America due to restrictions on immigration of people from those countries.

I NEVER, EVER SAID THAT BULLIES AND RAPISTS ARE EXCLUSIVELY MEN. If you have an issue with the ad, that is your problem and not mine. Bringing up Muslims only serves to deflect from the issue that the ad is addressing, which is deeply rooted toxic behavior that many see as masculinity.

YOUR QUOTE LITERALLY SAYS IT.

“That’s not the same thing, because terrorists aren’t exclusive to one group”.

The ad attacks toxic masculinity which often leads to rape and bullying being normalized. Toxic masculinity itself is mostly limited to men. Terrorism has been committed by various groups for political, religious and many other reasons that can't be microtargeted towards one group.

But if you have an issue with the ad, that's your problem not mine.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2019, 08:55:24 PM »

YOUR QUOTE LITERALLY SAYS IT.

“That’s not the same thing, because terrorists aren’t exclusive to one group”.

The ad attacks toxic masculinity which often leads to rape and bullying being normalized. Toxic masculinity itself is mostly limited to men. Terrorism has been committed by various groups for political, religious and many other reasons that can't be microtargeted towards one group.

But if you have an issue with the ad, that's your problem not mine.

This last sentence sums up the entire debate. People who have a hard time with a feel-good don't tolerate bullying message from a razor add are Beyond snowflakes, but rather people with Bonafide issues.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2019, 02:59:52 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2019, 03:09:57 PM by Ἅιδης »

Germany now has it #Gilette moment, too.
Edeka, one of Germany's biggest retailers, published a misandrist TV ad, in which they portray fathers as ugly, bumbling, imbecile deadbeats.
The shitstorm is huge, and the hashtag #EdekaBoykott has therefore been trending on Twitter.

https://www.facebook.com/EDEKA/videos/659554877843431
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »

Edeka, one of Germany's biggest retailers, published a misandrist TV ad, in which they portray fathers as ugly, bumbling, imbecile deadbeats.
The shitstorm is huge, and the hashtag #EdekaBoykott has therefore been trending on Twitter.

I thought it was quite funny.

Stereotypes about Germans and senses of humour there mate.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2019, 03:21:45 PM »

Does EDEKA even have stores in Switzerland?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2019, 03:24:18 PM »

Nope, but sometimes we go to our third world neighbours to do cheap shopping Wink
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2019, 03:33:47 PM »

Nope, but sometimes we go to our third world neighbours to do cheap shopping Wink

Do you have fridges and the Internet in Switzerland? And how do you heat your furnaces? With firewood or with coal? Wink
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2019, 03:38:42 PM »

Do you have fridges and the Internet in Switzerland? And how do you heat your furnaces? With firewood or with coal? Wink
Well you should know, most of you Germans seem to be living here these days Tongue
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2019, 03:45:24 PM »

Well you should know, most of you Germans seem to be living here these days Tongue

While you Swiss are flooding our casting shows with your singers.  Mock
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: May 07, 2019, 04:11:47 PM »

It's because of the beautiful accent. How can your not love some guy with a mullet and and an earring going "hoi zäme, kchopfertami nominôôl" and turning every vowel into a "ööö" or "üü"?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #114 on: May 07, 2019, 05:15:50 PM »

It's because of the beautiful accent. How can your not love some guy with a mullet and and an earring going "hoi zäme, kchopfertami nominôôl" and turning every vowel into a "ööö" or "üü"?

Let's make a deal. We can keep Stefanie Heinzmann, and you can keep and spare us Beatrice Egli, Luca Hänni and DJ Bobo. Okay?  Mock
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2019, 08:54:09 PM »

UPDATE

Gilette releases new ad with Canadian trans man shaving for the first time.
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/05/26/gillette-transgender-man-commercial-shaving/
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2019, 01:41:05 AM »

That's disgusting. I don't wanna see that awful ad. Why did they have to engage a Canadian? Couldn't they find a genuine American? Tongue
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2019, 01:50:54 AM »

At least it's a positive ad compared to the last one which just defecated on men, throwing them all into a stereotype.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #118 on: May 27, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »

At least it's a positive ad compared to the last one which just defecated on men, throwing them all into a stereotype.

Someone was triggered by an ad that called on men to be their best.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #119 on: May 27, 2019, 10:13:46 AM »

The trend of #happy face capitalism by multinational corporations is worrying. Nike, a corporation that engages in child labour being cheered on was atrocious. Gilette doesn't seem as bad, but the trend is worrying.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2019, 04:20:50 PM »

The trend of #happy face capitalism by multinational corporations is worrying. Nike, a corporation that engages in child labour being cheered on was atrocious. Gilette doesn't seem as bad, but the trend is worrying.

The left loves their two-faced hypocritical virtue signaling. Like tweeting about Foxconn's suicide rate on their new iphones.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2019, 07:07:37 PM »

Gillette seems to be trafficking in right wing triggering as much as they are in shaving products. I'm fine with it, honestly.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2019, 08:53:14 PM »

They may be really unethical, but people are influenced by these kind of commercials, like it or not. If we are getting these commercials no matter what, I prefer progressive commercials to regressive ones. They can be an evil company and still contribute positively in some ways. We just need to make sure we "hate them slightly less so" instead of actually liking these immoral companies.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2019, 09:42:03 PM »

Someone was triggered by an ad that called on men to be their best.

by accusing them of uniformly failing at it for all of history up until the present #Metoo moment, when a chosen few were enlightened by the television talking heads.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2019, 06:09:52 AM »

I can't wait for future commercial breaks that include Gillette telling me it's bad to teach my sons to be bullies, followed by BP telling us that throwing puppies off of over passes is wrong and ending with a somber ad from Honda explaining why shoving old ladies in front of buses is not a good use of free time.

We should all be thankfull giant corporations are here to sell us excellent products AND teach us the morals and values we need in today's high pressure world.  Roll Eyes  And remember, anybody that dares question this concept has been "triggered" by it.  We must insult anybody that dares question the moral authority of Wall Street.  Thank the LLC of your choice that fine folks like Badger, Joe and King T are here to protect the honor of Gillette.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies