Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:14:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7313 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 11:14:44 AM »

How does this work? "I accuse you of doing a lot of bad things because of your sex, and then I expect you to buy my stuff"?
nope, This ad isn't aimed at men, it's aimed at moms...like I said earlier, they know men don't change products if they do the job and they know moms buy their son's first shaving products, this kind of cheap crap works on moms.

Thank God there are vigilant dads like you to protect their kids from such underhanded tactics.
Indeed (and we are legion) because I do the grocery shopping in my house.  'cause of my privilege and toxic masculinity obviously Wink  He'll use a disposable Bic when he needs it.  If he wants something better, he can buy it.  He just hit 17 and has just tinniest hint of a mustache, so it hasn't been an issue yet.  I'll let you know when that changes.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 11:17:08 AM »

The backlash against the ad underlines the necessity for the ad.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 11:51:40 AM »

It is mostly up to men to assert without equivocation that bullying is unacceptable behavior. Boys will be boys? That is no excuse.

Good for P&G. There is nothing manly about bullying.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 11:52:10 AM »

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 11:52:49 AM »

Who cares?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 12:18:37 PM »

lolololol at anyone who thinks Dollar Shave Club is the same quality as Gillette. Lololololol. I stopped using Dollar Shave Club because of their crap quality

You’re probably unaware on how to properly shave. Plus the last shaving company you’d ever want to upgrade to would be Gillette when there’s other high priced but actual high quality razors out there.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »

I’ve read through all the comments here, and through many on YouTube.

I still haven’t seen or heard any reason for outrage.

Bullying and harassment are serious issues that we as a society need to work on.  I can’t imagine how taking an anti-bullying/harassment stand would be unpopular.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 12:48:05 PM »

This is like when internet racists wet their pants over an interracial couple in a Cheerios advert.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »

How does this work? "I accuse you of doing a lot of bad things because of your sex, and then I expect you to buy my stuff"?

Another brand I'm not buying anymore. Shaving with a machine is the kosher way anyway.

Who cares, growing a beard is more masculine (and apparently kosher) anyway Cheesy
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2019, 01:42:41 PM »

Another brand I'm not buying anymore. Shaving with a machine is the kosher way anyway.
Who cares, growing a beard is more masculine (and apparently kosher) anyway Cheesy
Definitely true, having a beard is ultra-kosher and indeed more masculine. But I do trim it - with a Philips, gotta keep it Dutch.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2019, 02:41:32 PM »

A.nobody that bullies, sexually assaults or rapes is going to not do those things because of this ad

What the ad says is that parents should teach their kids that it's not OK to do all these things, or engage in sexist behavior.
Is that too much for your libertarian sensitivities?
The vast majority of parents do do that, those that don't won't be swayed by this ad.  It's weird that you guys think they would.

1ad of course won't change the world, but cultural influences change, well, culture. Little by little. The fact that the world on TV is nothing like the make-believe never was of Leave it to Beaver and Ozzie and Harriet rightly influences our view is to who we really are as a country and as a people.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »

I didn’t see it as equating the male gender with bullies.  After all, there were men in the commercial who stood up against the bullying.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »

Stop lumping the rest of us Jews in with your barbaric misogyny.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2019, 05:44:07 PM »

I mean, similar to the Wells Fargo ad with the lesbians adopting a deaf child, I think corporations putting social messages in ads is pretty cringeworthy. In terms of the message itself though, having watched the ad, it's pretty obvious that no one can possibly have a problem with it except creeps, rapists, and bullies.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2019, 06:12:43 PM »

nope, This ad isn't aimed at men, it's aimed at moms...like I said earlier, they know men don't change products if they do the job and they know moms buy their son's first shaving products, this kind of cheap crap works on moms.

Thank God there are vigilant dads like you to protect their kids from such underhanded tactics.
Indeed (and we are legion) because I do the grocery shopping in my house.  'cause of my privilege and toxic masculinity obviously Wink  He'll use a disposable Bic when he needs it.  If he wants something better, he can buy it.  He just hit 17 and has just tinniest hint of a mustache, so it hasn't been an issue yet.  I'll let you know when that changes.

Tell me you are good enough to refer to it to his face as his mustache, rather than common on its tininess? The first time I tried growing a mustache my lip hair was so light only my father barely and I mean barely recognized, and my mother never did. Probably for the best.

I don't know your son, but I suspect in his mind it's practically a Wyatt Earp mustache. Grin
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2019, 06:29:23 PM »

If any man hasn't done the negative things portrayed in the commercial, then they have nothing to be offended by. It seems to me like the ad struck a nerve with people who probably have poor behavior.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2019, 06:52:36 PM »

If any man hasn't done the negative things portrayed in the commercial, then they have nothing to be offended by. It seems to me like the ad struck a nerve with people who probably have poor behavior.

Ah, but by GOD they should have the RIGHT to do it, despite what the FEMINAZIS and SOY BOYS say otherwise!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2019, 07:50:35 PM »

Tell me you are good enough to refer to it to his face as his mustache, rather than common on its tininess? The first time I tried growing a mustache my lip hair was so light only my father barely and I mean barely recognized, and my mother never did. Probably for the best.

I don't know your son, but I suspect in his mind it's practically a Wyatt Earp mustache. Grin
I just noticed it last week, I have not mentioned it to him yet.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2019, 10:17:04 PM »

I get thinking that Gillette isn't the best role model. Saying that the ad is an attack on men by mentioning that some men have done horrible things, and that men can be part of the solution by not being like that, on the other hand... that's a stretch, to say the least. I think part of the problem with any conversation about race, gender, privilege, etc, is that many people (especially white men) take statements about society in general as a personal attack. E.g. "White people have benefited, most unknowingly and unintentionally, from racial inequity" is said, and their response is "How dare you call me a racist and say racism is my fault!"

I'm not saying that some people on the left aren't over-zealous and don't go too far sometimes; they do. What I'm saying is that this ad, and the argument that sexual assault against women is a serious problem that men can help address, is not an attack on men, nor is it saying that all men are to blame for the existence of sexual assault.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »

Imagine Gillette running an advert asking minorities to not commit crime, then imagine the storm of criticism which would ensue. Now you will understand the backlash to this advert: conservative men feel that men are an oppressed minority in society.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2019, 10:43:57 PM »

Imagine Gillette running an advert asking minorities to not commit crime, then imagine the storm of criticism which would ensue. Now you will understand the backlash to this advert: conservative men feel that men are an oppressed minority in society.

That's a stupid and false equivalency. Unless you're pointing out that conservative men are idiots for feeling like an oppressed minority. In which case, yeah, I get it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2019, 10:47:59 PM »

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2019, 04:43:00 AM »

Also, part of why the Gillette ad is "okay" is because the message is crafted so as to be a pep talk that's happening within the group (i.e., "we have to work hard to be better than the worst among us and also transcend the caricatures"). The situation you mention, asking minorities not to commit crime, is obviously very different, but honestly... there's probably a way to make it work at least on some level. Gillette might not be the brand to send that message, because the "we" wouldn't really intuitively represent racialized men... but put up a big-name black athlete or something? It could work. It really depends on whether the spokesperson is looking too much like a condescending or artificial mouthpiece representing dominant white corporate interests. Maybe... Gillette's "we" works because there's no disputing that corporate culture is still very much crafted by men.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2019, 07:22:38 AM »

Right wingers are the biggest snowflakes and the most politically correct.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2019, 07:28:08 AM »

Right wingers are the biggest snowflakes and the most politically correct.

They support sexual predators like Donald Trump and Roy Moore, so it's understandable why they are so sensitive when they perceive someone as calling them out on their hypocrisy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies