Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 04:53:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Gillette's new ad asks men to not be bullies/rapists; right-wing backlash ensues  (Read 7377 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »

Imagine Gillette running an advert asking minorities to not commit crime, then imagine the storm of criticism which would ensue. Now you will understand the backlash to this advert: conservative men feel that men are an oppressed minority in society.

Also, part of why the Gillette ad is "okay" is because the message is crafted so as to be a pep talk that's happening within the group (i.e., "we have to work hard to be better than the worst among us and also transcend the caricatures"). The situation you mention, asking minorities not to commit crime, is obviously very different, but honestly... there's probably a way to make it work at least on some level. Gillette might not be the brand to send that message, because the "we" wouldn't really intuitively represent racialized men... but put up a big-name black athlete or something? It could work. It really depends on whether the spokesperson is looking too much like a condescending or artificial mouthpiece representing dominant white corporate interests. Maybe... Gillette's "we" works because there's no disputing that corporate culture is still very much crafted by men.

The "pep talk" isn't between the group, however.  It's on national TV, in front of people's wives and kids.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »

Imagine Gillette running an advert asking minorities to not commit crime, then imagine the storm of criticism which would ensue. Now you will understand the backlash to this advert: conservative men feel that men are an oppressed minority in society.

Also, part of why the Gillette ad is "okay" is because the message is crafted so as to be a pep talk that's happening within the group (i.e., "we have to work hard to be better than the worst among us and also transcend the caricatures"). The situation you mention, asking minorities not to commit crime, is obviously very different, but honestly... there's probably a way to make it work at least on some level. Gillette might not be the brand to send that message, because the "we" wouldn't really intuitively represent racialized men... but put up a big-name black athlete or something? It could work. It really depends on whether the spokesperson is looking too much like a condescending or artificial mouthpiece representing dominant white corporate interests. Maybe... Gillette's "we" works because there's no disputing that corporate culture is still very much crafted by men.

The "pep talk" isn't between the group, however.  It's on national TV, in front of people's wives and kids.

Kids need to be exposed to a culture that doesn’t embrace toxic masculinity. 
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2019, 06:27:50 PM »

you think this ad was aimed at kids?  It seems to be aimed at people that think it's normal in America for a bunch of dads to stand around and watch two kids fight at a BBQ and chant "boys will be boys" (it's not).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2019, 06:43:16 PM »

you think this ad was aimed at kids?  It seems to be aimed at people that think it's normal in America for a bunch of dads to stand around and watch two kids fight at a BBQ and chant "boys will be boys" (it's not).

Yeah, we saw that today with these jackasses from Kentucky.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2019, 06:49:37 PM »

Yeah, we saw that today with these jackasses from Kentucky.

Some people are jackasses for a day.

Some people are jackasses for a lifetime.

Some people experience both shoes as being perfect fits.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2019, 07:01:02 PM »

you think this ad was aimed at kids?  It seems to be aimed at people that think it's normal in America for a bunch of dads to stand around and watch two kids fight at a BBQ and chant "boys will be boys" (it's not).

I don't care who it's aimed at and I realize it's virtue-signaling, but so what?  It does a terrific job of delivering a really important message that people need to hear as often as possible.  Does Gillette make overpriced products?  I dunno, probably.  That's not really the point the though, the more companies feel like they have to start shifting to messages like the one in the Gillette ad, the better.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2019, 07:29:41 PM »

Toxic masculinity being ingrained into society has caused a lot of harm to both genders/gender identity. It's about time that it is being confronted, and the resistance to it is nothing more than the typical right wing desperation of clinging to a flawed status quo.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2019, 10:33:48 PM »

Right wingers are the biggest snowflakes and the most politically correct.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2019, 10:34:53 PM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

I'm really tired of being lectured by the media and by corporate America.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2019, 10:36:40 PM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

Congratulations to you Joe and Gillette on your epic victory over toxic masculinity.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

So as I said. Triggered snowflakes.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2019, 10:38:35 PM »

The "political opinions" (i.e. marketing schemes) of corporations are completely meaningless and should be treated as such
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2019, 10:42:24 PM »

See Fuzzy, the difference is that Christian preaching, when done right, tells you and me how to live our lives. Corporate preaching tells the listener how other people should live their lives. Important distinction Tongue
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »

Anyway, based on the purported 'backlash' I expected the ad to be worse than it was. Not sure what it has to do with razors, but it wasn't a bad message.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2019, 10:45:14 PM »

I don't believe in Corporate-Named Stadiums, but I suppose they're hear to stay.

But, no, I don't appreciate lectures.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave. 

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2019, 10:47:52 PM »

I don't believe in Corporate-Named Stadiums, but I suppose they're hear to stay.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave. 

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, I don't get it. What on Earth do you have against this ad and the message portrays?!? The only individuals who should have an ounce of problem with it literal purveyors of toxic masculinity like Reagan fan and a few other failed attempts at manhood on this form. I don't consider you remotely like that.

Please, just get over the whole triggering the libs thing and appreciate a message for what it is. It's a good message!
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2019, 10:48:12 PM »

Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

...And that's why I voted for Donald Trump!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

I keep hearing how sick people are of Christian preaching.  I'm sick of this.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave.  

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, could you please explain what specifically about the message of the ad itself bothers you?  I get that Gillette itself is full of Inks, but don’t you think this is still an important and positive message that should be reinforced whenever possible?  I’d ask the same question of Dead0man, btw.  I’m really trying to understand where you guys are coming from here and I’m just not seeing it.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2019, 11:22:41 PM »

Now I'm trying to "derail the conversation"?  Ok dude, whatever.  Like I said, enjoy your recreational outrage at other people's recreational outrage at an ad that won't do anything except sell some razors to moms too dumb to realize they were played.

And I shave.  Every day.  I'll use the cheap throwaway brands and Barbasol Cream before I help Gilette recoup the monies they spent to name the Patriots' stadium.

For my present employer, I provide training on topics of sexual harassment, equal employment opportunity, and non-discrimination in the carrying out of their jobs, according to law.  (That's not my main job, but it's something I do at certain times.  I have also worked as a facilitator of Batterer's Intervention Groups.  I am very familiar with the Duluth Model of Domestic Violence, and the root causes of Domestic Violence, as well as its impact on victims.

People GET these training on their jobs.  Corporate policies ensure this.  The worst behaviors are committed by a small number of repeat offenders.  Yet here's this Corporate Giant lecturing my demographic on TV about how to behave.  

No.  I've had enough.  Folks with no morals, no love of God, nothing motivating them but money will never be taken seriously by me.

Fuzzy, could you please explain what specifically about that message of the ad itself bothers you?  I get that Gillette itself is full of Inks, but don’t you think this is still an important and positive message that should be reinforced whenever possible?  I’d ask the same question of Dead0man, btw.  I’m really trying to understand where you guys are coming from here and I’m just not seeing it.

The idea that ordinary people (A) never get a rest from this crap in the media, and (B) that it's now in corporate commercials as well in news, talk shows, and  public service spots.

The narrative that males are to blame for all that is wrong with society is one that has gotten traction.  While I don't wish for young boys to grow up to be narcissists, I consider this constant bombardment of males with blame for just about everything wrong with society (not to mention the "Male Privilege" doctrine) is more than a little excessive.

So I'm pushing back.  If I'm the only one here doing so, let it happen.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2019, 01:12:04 AM »

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2019, 02:09:45 AM »

The "political opinions" (i.e. marketing schemes) of corporations are completely meaningless and should be treated as such

They’re actually extremely meaningful: in the homogeneous liberal world order, every product is basically the same, so brands compete by appealing to people’s ideals and identities (which, in said liberal world order, can only be expressed as “consumer choices”).
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2019, 02:25:40 AM »

I have lost brain cells by reading through this thread. Many of you(you know who you are) are calling those on the right snowflakes. Harassment goes both ways as well as sexism. Women can be sexist towards men, blacks can be racist towards whites, and the LGBT community can be heterophobic to those not a part of it. This should be a two way street, not a double standard! Imagine the outrage if a commercial of a product designed for women stated that women need to stop accusing men of sexual assault! An entire mans life can be ruined from one accusation. It is absolutely pathetic that people are supporting Gillette for insulting and harassing nearly half of the entire population. The boycotts have arrived and Gillette is going to get what they deserve!

Wow. This is literally the worst post I think I've read all year. I mean it's garbage from top to bottom. The LGBT community can be heterophobic to those who are not a part of it?!? WTF are you talking about? In what cave do you live in? Good almighty God.

Please stop posting. Burn your computer. Cancel your internet service and move to outer Mongolia. Your chances of posting anyting worthwhile are effectively nonexistent. Save yourself embarrassment, and the rest of the Forum from making its eyes bleed.

To recap. This post is unspeakably bad, and the so-called thought process that went behind it was just as awful.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2019, 02:27:38 AM »

Fuzzy, could you please explain what specifically about that message of the ad itself bothers you?  I get that Gillette itself is full of Inks, but don’t you think this is still an important and positive message that should be reinforced whenever possible?  I’d ask the same question of Dead0man, btw.  I’m really trying to understand where you guys are coming from here and I’m just not seeing it.

The idea that ordinary people (A) never get a rest from this crap in the media, and (B) that it's now in corporate commercials as well in news, talk shows, and  public service spots.

The narrative that males are to blame for all that is wrong with society is one that has gotten traction.  While I don't wish for young boys to grow up to be narcissists, I consider this constant bombardment of males with blame for just about everything wrong with society (not to mention the "Male Privilege" doctrine) is more than a little excessive.

So I'm pushing back.  If I'm the only one here doing so, let it happen.

If that is what you got from that ad, you desperately need counseling.

I'm not sure if there's mental health cure for crotchety old crank ism, but if there is, Godspeed.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2019, 02:52:22 AM »

Being against rape and toxic masculinity doesn't mean you can't admire sexy women in tight clothing.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2019, 03:07:00 AM »

Being against rape and toxic masculinity doesn't mean you can't admire sexy women in tight clothing.

GASP! NO! That Gillette commercial proves that men have to wear frilly panties oh, and thank goodness for the Defenders of real masculinity in this thread!
Hollywood
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2019, 03:41:40 AM »

I don't care.  I agree with the message.  It could have been done in a more tasteful manner.  I understand if men feel attacked by the ad, especially if your not the type of person that engages in those types of behaviors.  And the old line of "boys will be boys" is so last decade.  I haven't heard anyone say that in a long time, but maybe someone has. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies