Opinion of the March for Life?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:26:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the March for Life?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 92

Author Topic: Opinion of the March for Life?  (Read 4262 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 11:04:56 PM »

HM - their interest in life doesn't extend past fetuses; otherwise they would also be marching for anti-war and pro-healthcare.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 12:16:51 AM »

FM enough that I went to the Portland one today Tongue

I can say that the counter-protesters were definitely nastier than those in Madison, Wisconsin were. Antifa was there, but no one got violent, so that's about all I can really ask for. This town has too much hate already.

As for the Marcher for Life folks, the vast majority were respectful people who conducted themselves quite well. There were a handful of people whose signs I would have preferred were not present, the same for the people with Trump stuff (since that's not what the protest is about). Still pleased with it on the whole. It takes a special kind of willingness to take punishment in order to lead a pro-life march in Portland, so my hat goes all to its leaders all the more.

The fact that Antifa showed up to the March for Life shows that they don't just target fascists.

You won't see them marching for the little girl seeking refuge from war and famine. Massive HM.

Are you the type of person to shout "other diseases exist" at a cancer fundraiser?

I mean, I agree that criticism isn't particularly great, but some here are the type of person to shout "MURDERER!" at an innocent woman who aborted an embryo... Tongue

I would agree that the situation you described is going too far.

HM - their interest in life doesn't extend past fetuses; otherwise they would also be marching for anti-war and pro-healthcare.

See my earlier post.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 04:38:47 AM »

FM for sure. Don't necessarily agree with the cause, but these are fundamentally decent people willing to stand up for something worth standing up for.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »

Waste of time. This kind of march won't change anyone's opinions. This isn't the like the march on Washington in 1963 when King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 12:05:26 AM »

I came into this thread fully prepared, even eager, to post this gif, but the takes here are actually all pretty lukewarm. Didn't vote.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 12:07:18 AM »

In general FM but too aligned with right-wing orthodoxy and conservatism.  It needs to be broader as a movement and win hearts and minds of liberal-minded people too, not just the base.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 12:08:46 AM »

In general FM but too aligned with right-wing orthodoxy and conservatism.  It needs to be broader as a movement and win hearts and minds of liberal-minded people too, not just the base.

The same could be said of the Women's March, but of course it was never intended to be an "open-minded" movement.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 12:10:15 AM »

The same could be said of the Women's March, but of course it was never intended to be an "open-minded" movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 12:36:10 AM »

Really? I don't see a problem with the March for Life becoming a broader movement and incorporating people of more backgrounds. I was merely saying that if it were to do so, then the Women's March should become broader as well, beyond liberal, pro-choice, feminist activists. But of course, such points fly completely over your head.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 08:43:19 AM »

Really? I don't see a problem with the March for Life becoming a broader movement and incorporating people of more backgrounds. I was merely saying that if it were to do so, then the Women's March should become broader as well, beyond liberal, pro-choice, feminist activists. But of course, such points fly completely over your head.

Perhaps what is being said is that whataboutism is unproductive. Be the change you want to see in the world! Smiley
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »

who care

Lean HM though, just because when I worked in D.C. they made it practically impossible to get around the Mall/Cap Hill when in town
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »

who care

Lean HM though, just because when I worked in D.C. they made it practically impossible to get around the Mall/Cap Hill when in town

One day a year... Not like there's never any other political gatherings in DC...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »

Something culturally cathartic the USA uniquely shares with Latin America.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »

It's the march for the right to give birth, after that who cares. Plus they support the death penalty so it has nothing to do with "life".
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 10:48:42 AM »

It's the march for the right to give birth, after that who cares. Plus they support the death penalty so it has nothing to do with "life".

The death penalty for civilians is only allowed for murder, where the convicted has already taken at least one life and has demonstrated themselves to be a danger to others. So yes, it is about "life" - the lives of the public, prison staff, and even other prisoners who will be threatened by the murderer.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »

Fascist March
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »

It has nothing to do with life if they're pro death penalty and anti health care.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »

If the people behind the March for Life explicitly support the death penalty then it's obviously a massive HM and a pathetic fig leaf for Trump-era Generic R politics and people who support the consistent life ethic or even sound ethics on nonviolence in general are saps for participating in it. I don't actually know (or care) enough about the March for Life to know whether or not that's the case.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 03:36:29 PM »

Absurdist broad church “fascist” definition.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »

If the people behind the March for Life explicitly support the death penalty then it's obviously a massive HM and a pathetic fig leaf for Trump-era Generic R politics and people who support the consistent life ethic or even sound ethics on nonviolence in general are saps for participating in it. I don't actually know (or care) enough about the March for Life to know whether or not that's the case.

The views of its participants on the death penalty would probably be all over the board, since that isn't what the march is about, which is abortion.

This:
Pro-life and pro-choice are the most commonly used terms to describe one's view on abortion. Everyone is aware that some pro lifers support things that might cause a death and some pro choicers support things restrict personal choice.

For the record, I am against the death penalty, but that's neither here nor there.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2019, 11:43:18 PM »
« Edited: January 22, 2019, 11:48:41 PM by Trounce-'em Theresa »

The views of its participants on the death penalty would probably be all over the board, since that isn't what the march is about, which is abortion.

This:
Pro-life and pro-choice are the most commonly used terms to describe one's view on abortion. Everyone is aware that some pro lifers support things that might cause a death and some pro choicers support things restrict personal choice.

For the record, I am against the death penalty, but that's neither here nor there.

Yeah, I'm aware of all this (including your own opposition to the death penalty, which I've always admired about you). What would make it a HM would be if the people or groups organizing it uniformly had an explicitly articulated right-wing social philosophy above and beyond the subject matter of the March, and allowed or encouraged the March to incorporate shilling for that philosophy. From what you're saying that doesn't seem to be the case, but from what certain socially liberal posters are saying or insinuating it does. (Personally, I'm inclined to believe you more.)

I'm aware that some of the attendees of this year's March for Life in particular were MAGAist prep school brats who got into some sort of fight with a concurrent Native American demonstration, and I'm also aware that some Millennial Catholic friends of mine who are quite progressive on most other issues attended, but those are the limits of my familiarity with the March's composition.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2019, 12:48:58 AM »

The fact that there's an annual march to protest the fact that women have the rights over their own bodies is just one more piece of evidence of the misogyny that permeates our society. I mean, the NRA are supposedly willing to give up their lives ("from my cold, dead hands") over a piece of property that isn't even attached to them, but you expect women to surrender their rights over their literal insides for you.

They should call themselves the March Against Life... womens' lives, you know, the ones that actually exist. And of course, they claim not to be sexist even though most of them oppose the ERA and believe the words "Women should keep silent in the churches, for they are not allowed to speak, but should be subordinate, as even the law says. But if they want to learn anything, they should ask their husbands at home. For it is improper for a woman to speak in the church" were literally inspired by God (and ftr I do believe Christ is the son of God but not that he would endorse everything Paul wrote).
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »

Doesn't go nearly far enough.
Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »

Doing the Lord's work.

Their name is misleading. There is no life that they are trying to protect.

Fetuses are alive you see.
Nah
How is a fetus not alive?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2019, 08:52:22 PM »

FM.  Definitely a movement sticking up for the least of these, the marginalized.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies