Why aren't people sick of the culture wars?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:09:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why aren't people sick of the culture wars?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why aren't people sick of the culture wars?  (Read 1315 times)
pondscum
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2019, 10:00:33 PM by pondscum »

They've been going on for decades, and the only (major) legislative effect from it has been gay rights, something that directly effects about 5% of the population.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:07:07 PM »

"there are things wrong and we must blame 'the others' for them"

That idea is probably true for most animals, language and the internet make humans really good at it and even better at making the "things wrong" part WAY bigger than they should be.  There really isn't much you can do about it other than try and see it when you do it, and stop it and politely call out friends and family when you see them do it and make fun of "the others" when they do it online...ok that last bit probably doesn't help Smiley.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »

People continue the culture wars because they are more than "wedge issues".  The various cultural issues represent choices that have consequences for society as a whole, one way or another.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 10:21:37 PM »

People passionate about one side or the other tend to have a high voter turnout and tend to live in swing states.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:28:29 PM »

People passionate about one side or the other tend to have a high voter turnout and tend to live in swing states.

Really? I would think it was the bases in deep red and deep blue states that are more into the wedge issues.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 10:32:06 PM »

Really? I would think it was the bases in deep red and deep blue states that are more into the wedge issues.

It depends on the issue, but I remember throughout the 1990s and 2000s Pennsylvania in particular as the focal point of the abortion issue, with a really strong cleavage running through both parties and it really polarizing all sides.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:09:43 AM »

Idk man I ask myself the same thing.

The quote in my signature about the universe unfolding as it should is pretty much my view on that sort of thing. People need to chill out and let the free market handle things.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:24:36 AM »

They've been going on for decades, and the only (major) legislative effect from it has been gay rights, something that directly effects about 5% of the population.

Don't underestimate gay rights. They major progress made in both the legislative and social fronts in recent years has been huge for tens of millions, not just LGBTQs (who comprise an increasingly large percentage of the population) but also many straight people connected to LGBTQs. It made life immensely better for all these people, and it was worth all the battles in the world. Of course, it's still going on, and there's no reason to surrender until society is fully transformed and every last person accepts LGBTQs as equal members of society- after all, the side that opposes gay rights is losing.

As for the rest of the "culture wars"- people are just passionate on these issues. Those who believe aboriton is murder won't cease, and pro-choice people won't just surrender to their whims. And that's one example. It's popular to decry these issues as useless and divisive, but if you're gay, you'll find that particular culture war one of the most important things. And yes, if you're so pro-life that you believe abortion doctors are murderers, you'll obviously not stop trying to outlaw this "murder".
mgop
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 08:18:31 AM »

because that's the only thing where parties have different views. economic policies? same, both right wing. foreign policies? same, both want to wage endless wars. so when it comes to social issues, that's the only topic where republicans and democrats really can prove they are different from each other.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »

The primary/caucus system eliminates candidates who go against the party line on the culture wars.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 08:35:10 AM »
« Edited: January 21, 2019, 08:47:08 AM by Lechasseur »

People continue the culture wars because they are more than "wedge issues".  The various cultural issues represent choices that have consequences for society as a whole, one way or another.

This
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »

The primary/caucus system eliminates candidates who go against the party line on the culture wars.

I disagree with this diagnosis. The culture war has many sources, and politicians are a relatively minor reason. Indeed, they still raged in the days where there was more "variety" in the two parties regarding social issues.

The reason is these issues are easier to get your head around. Most people find economic issues very big, scary and full of ambiguity. Even political anoraks find issues like, I dunno, healthcare or taxation hard to talk about it unless they've studied it in college. Buy everybody can basically grasp the stakes around abortion, guns and flags.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 08:46:32 AM »

I disagree with this diagnosis. The culture war has many sources, and politicians are a relatively minor reason. Indeed, they still raged in the days where there was more "variety" in the two parties regarding social issues.

The reason is these issues are easier to get your head around. Most people find economic issues very big, scary and full of ambiguity. Even political anoraks find issues like, I dunno, healthcare or taxation hard to talk about it unless they've studied it in college. Buy everybody can basically grasp the stakes around abortion, guns and flags.

That's true
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »

The party machines, donors, national and state committees, etc., also play a role in enforcing the party line on the culture wars.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 09:45:07 AM »

Because humans often need something to identify with. Nationality, race, religion etc.; mostly what we got teached during childhood. And especially people with little formal education tend to blame other groups for their problems ("the immigrants", "the muslims", "the blacks"). Even though criticism of these groups is sometimes justified, too often we see a generalization. It's human nature to oppose people that significantly differ from us. This is also the main reason school bullying exists, even though this is usually not a political problem.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:01 PM »

Self-righteousness on both sides.

But my side really is right.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 12:35:29 PM »

Boomers and their children and grandchildren.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 05:41:00 PM »

boomers
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 08:24:52 PM »

I sure am, most of them are, or should be beyond the point of debate. But as long as people who are or act different from the status quo exist, they will never not be used to fear-monger and win elections on, for Republicans in particular who clearly have nothing else to offer voters.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »

Because people thrive on hate and having to have an enemy somewhere that's out to get them.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »

Haven't we always have culture wars?  I mean, sectionalism in the 1830s-50s was a pretty big deal...

I don't see how "culture war" is any different than regular old politics.
Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 04:18:24 PM »

People continue the culture wars because they are more than "wedge issues".  The various cultural issues represent choices that have consequences for society as a whole, one way or another.
This is correct.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies