Time Traveler
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:27:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Time Traveler
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Time Traveler  (Read 914 times)
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:29:50 AM »

This is one of those do you think it will happen type of threads, but I tried to keep it interesting Smiley

You meet a man who claims to be a time traveler from the year 2025. Since you are an Atlas user, obviously you ask him about what happens in politics between your time and his. His answer is extremely vague and he states the following claims.
  • Trump will be impeached by the house but will not be removed from office
  • The 2020 Democratic nominee will not be a progressive
  • Trump will win in 2020, but NOT like 2016
  • By the end of 2024 Trump will no longer be President
  • The 2024 Democratic nominee will NOT be someone who ran for President in 2020
You pull out your phone to write this all down, but when you attempt to ask him more he has vanished and is no where in sight.
So the big question is: Do you believe his claims?
RGM2609
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:31:30 AM »

This is one of those do you think it will happen type of threads, but I tried to keep it interesting Smiley

You meet a man who claims to be a time traveler from the year 2025. Since you are an Atlas user, obviously you ask him about what happens in politics between your time and his. His answer is extremely vague and he states the following claims.
  • Trump will be impeached by the house but will not be removed from office
  • The 2020 Democratic nominee will not be a progressive
  • Trump will win in 2020, but NOT like 2016
  • By the end of 2024 Trump will no longer be President
  • The 2024 Democratic nominee will NOT be someone who ran for President in 2020
You pull out your phone to write this all down, but when you attempt to ask him more he has vanished and is no where in sight.
So the big question is: Do you believe his claims?
Sounds like a possible and legit scenario
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »

I mean, I could see the 46th President being a Democrat who first won office as a governor in 2018 or 2019, and ran after a successful term and a half, with a Senator as their running mate.

An Andy Beshear or Gretchen Whitmer could be a breath of fresh air, as the first non-Senator nominated by the Democrats since Clinton. 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »

I mean, I could see the 46th President being a Democrat who first won office as a governor in 2018 or 2019, and ran after a successful term and a half, with a Senator as their running mate.

An Andy Beshear or Gretchen Whitmer could be a breath of fresh air, as the first non-Senator nominated by the Democrats since Clinton. 
Beshear and Whitmer won't get nominated if a non-progressive lost in 2020.

If the moderates and center-left lose in 2020, AOC becomes the automatic front-runner for 2024.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »

President Donald Trump (R-FL) / Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN) win a 269-269 EC split against Fmr. Vice President Joe Biden (D-DE). Democrats remove Trump from office when they take the Senate in a 2022 wave and probably run some hardcore activist in 2024.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »

Beshear and Whitmer won't get nominated if a non-progressive lost in 2020.

If the moderates and center-left lose in 2020, AOC becomes the automatic front-runner for 2024.

Democratic nominee AOC? It can't get that bad, right?
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 08:51:57 PM »

I wouldnt fully believe it, but I would keep in mind what they said
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 02:05:50 AM »

This sounds extremely plausible and I think it'd actually be the best scenario for Democrats in the long run. A 2022 wave, impeaching and removing Trump, and a weakened Pence as an opponent in 2024 all stacks up in their favor pretty well.
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 02:23:51 PM »

This sounds plausible

I could see Trump being impeached by the House next month, but the Senate refusing to remove him despite clear evidence of criminal wrongdoing.

I could see Biden getting the nomination, and losing to Trump, maybe even with Trump winning the popular vote narrowly if Biden runs an especially terrible campaign and progressives stay home en masse.

I could see Trump dying in office due to his advanced age and unhealthy lifestyle.

If the Democrats lose in 2020, I would be surprised if the 2024 nominee was someone who ran in 2020. It could be AOC who would be 35 by Election Day, or someone else who hasn't run before.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »

No, due to the fact that Gary Johnson was the key to helping Trump take the Oval Office, in 2016. Biden isnt a progressive, but females would endure a Sally Yates Veepstakes to make up for it
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »

I would not believe this traveler's claims for two reasons (assuming I believe they're a time traveler). First, speaking in vague assertions while aiming to reveal information implies that either the future is fixed and they're being intentionally obtuse (aka, they're a jerk or are intentionally lying) or that the future is not fixed and they're trying to manipulate the present to insure a specific outcome. And given I don't know this person beyond this encounter, I can't trust them to be providing me with information that would encourage an outcome that is good for me. This is still true even if future person is actually me as I don't know the circumstances between my present and that future which may possibly have radically altered my views.

Second... given they have only provided me with vague information about politics and dodged my inevitable questions about their method of time travel which someone like me would ask, they are clearly actively trying to prevent me from gaining such power. Without such power, I can not verify their claims. If I can't verify their claims, their claims are useless.

So I have no way to trust them and no way to validate what they're saying. So no, I would not trust them, independent of the message they had to deliver.

Also I'm kind of a huge dork and any time traveler who talks to me specifically should probably be aware of that. Which is maybe why none have bothered? :-p
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 12:26:56 PM »

Bigger question: why haven't I threatened him if he doesn't give me valuable information like the winning lotto numbers?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »

Trump wins reelection and then most likely dies in office? I'd give it like 10% chance of happening, but it's not wildly implausible. The impeachment-no removal is basically a gimme prediction at this point, that's like 99% certain. And while I think the Democrats are favored to win, Trump still has at least a 25% chance to win reelection. And I'd give an over 50% chance that the Democratic nominee will be one of Biden, Buttigieg, Bloomberg or someone not currently relevant to the race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies