Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:47:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 125273 times)
Joey1996

« on: January 21, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »

The "progressive prosecutor", can't wait
Joey1996

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 11:01:43 AM »

Identity politics is telling me to ignore Harris' record as a prosecutor because she looks more like me than Sanders or Warren do. I'm good love, enjoy.
Joey1996

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:47:01 AM »

Very sad when Joe Walsh of all people is being more reasonable than some people here.

Yeah, I fail to see how this is more reasonable than us saying her record as California's Attorney General means we wont be supporting her campaign.
Joey1996

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:36:12 PM »

I like how everyone crying about "Bernie Bros" are ignoring the overwhelming criticism of Harris online from black activists
Joey1996

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 06:49:00 PM »

Has Harris every actually done anything to connect with the black community?

They might consider her but Booker has been much more a pro black candidate.

She comes from San Francisco/Bay area which is mostly white and asian. Only a few black people are there. Meanwhile Booker comes from heavily black Newark so he has some idea on how to connect to black candidates

On criminal justice issues she was not a great candidate for the black community as she had many harsh policies as AG. Meanwhile Booker was one of the largest proponents of CJ reform working strongly with Rand Paul

Booker has also shown much more aptness to visit deep south states atm so this also helps him.

And no having an affair with Willie Brown does not count as connecting with the black community
She attended Howard University, which is one of the best HBCUs in the country. Anyways, Kamala is from Oakland.

Oakland has a sizable Black population. Also, The Black Panther Party started in Oakland.

She was born in Oakland, but raised in the very white Quebec by her single Indian mother. Sure she went to Howard, but her career as a prosecutor and her interracial marriage will get her a lot more questions about her connection to the black community than Barack Obama who was a former community organizer with a black family.
Joey1996

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 07:07:20 PM »

She comes from San Francisco/Bay area which is mostly white and asian. Only a few black people are there. Meanwhile Booker comes from heavily black Newark so he has some idea on how to connect to black candidates

On criminal justice issues she was not a great candidate for the black community as she had many harsh policies as AG. Meanwhile Booker was one of the largest proponents of CJ reform working strongly with Rand Paul

Booker has also shown much more aptness to visit deep south states atm so this also helps him.

And no having an affair with Willie Brown does not count as connecting with the black community
She attended Howard University, which is one of the best HBCUs in the country. Anyways, Kamala is from Oakland.

Oakland has a sizable Black population. Also, The Black Panther Party started in Oakland.

She was born in Oakland, but raised in the very white Quebec by her single Indian mother. Sure she went to Howard, but her career as a prosecutor and her interracial marriage will get her a lot more questions about her connection to the black community than Barack Obama who was a former community organizer with a black family.

If this is the sort of campaign "progressives" for Bernie or for whoever plan on running they are only going to make themselves look bad. Questioning who blackness is a recipe for helping her more than anything.

As a black man who lives with politically active black people I have a good read on the sort of questions that will be asked of Harris. I highly doubt the Sanders campaign, if there even is one, will be the ones questioning her identity.
Joey1996

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 07:25:35 PM »

If this is the sort of campaign "progressives" for Bernie or for whoever plan on running they are only going to make themselves look bad. Questioning who blackness is a recipe for helping her more than anything.

What the previous poster is trying to say is that, correctly if I may add, that Harris doesnt have many ties to the AA community, and hell, we dont know how well she will preform with African Americans, we are all just making assumptions that she will do well. We wont know until a year's time, but there isnt much to point towards Harris doing well with the demographic currently.

The thing is the previous poster is wrong. She didn’t grow up in Canada.. she grew up in Oakland. It’s also incredibly bizarre to claim a Howard graduate doesn’t have many ties to the black community.... btw she was literally there today, first stop as she launched her campaign...

If she was raised in Canads or only went to highschool in Canada is less important than her record as a prosecutor, particularly her stances on 3 strikes, marijuana and truancy laws.

I like how everyone crying about "Bernie Bros" are ignoring the overwhelming criticism of Harris online from black activists

Killer Mike and Cornell West?

Type Kamala Harris in Twitter and see for yourself, or do black voices you dont agree with, like Killer Mike or Professor West not matter?

Joey1996

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 08:24:26 AM »

What the previous poster is trying to say is that, correctly if I may add, that Harris doesnt have many ties to the AA community, and hell, we dont know how well she will preform with African Americans, we are all just making assumptions that she will do well. We wont know until a year's time, but there isnt much to point towards Harris doing well with the demographic currently.

The thing is the previous poster is wrong. She didn’t grow up in Canada.. she grew up in Oakland. It’s also incredibly bizarre to claim a Howard graduate doesn’t have many ties to the black community.... btw she was literally there today, first stop as she launched her campaign...

If she was raised in Canads or only went to highschool in Canada is less important than her record as a prosecutor, particularly her stances on 3 strikes, marijuana and truancy laws.

Of course, but I am not the one saying it matters, I simply corrected you because what you said is not true, it’s a bit strange that it’s no longer important when you literally just used it to argue against her candidacy... this is starting to sound like the whole Obama isn’t black enough stuff that went on when he was running.

Whether you like it or not, if her identity as a black woman will be a central part of Harris' camapign she better be ready to answers those who question her connections to the black community. Whatever her relationship with Canada is will be a part of that, as I've seen it mentioned several times in the past few weeks.

The reason I mentioned Obama's history as a community organizer and his family in my oringal comment was to acknowledge that he also faced these questions during his 08 campaign, but had those two advantages.

The difference between now and then is that there's a growing number of young black voters who feel as though the issues facing the black community are the least prioritized by the Democratic Party. Having a strong platform to help solve those issues will be asked of every candidate, including the ones I plan on supporting in the primaries. Simply being black or going to Howard probably won't cut it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies