It's the dreaded 9th!!!! amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:23:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  It's the dreaded 9th!!!! amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It's the dreaded 9th!!!! amendment  (Read 10469 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2005, 09:43:59 PM »

Dreaded by "conservatives", of course.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting analysis here.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment09/

A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 09:50:01 PM »

LOL. JFraud is back to not reading his links again.

Tha amendment is linked to the Necessary and Proper Clause. As stated, the Federalists argued a bill of rights would be dangerous, because by listing various exceptions to powers not granted, you would imply the government had those powers. In other words, you would make the powers seem far more expansive than they actually were.

The Ninth Amendment was simply a response to that. It was not a license to judges to make up new rights. It does not add any right; it merely prevents the bill of rights from being taken to distort federal power.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »

It doesn't add any rights, but it acknowedges that there are others not enumerated in the constitution.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 10:14:55 PM »

It means that just because a right isn't listed, doesn't mean to federal government can infringe upon it: in other words, it is still bound by the limited nature of its enumerated powers.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 10:59:27 PM »

Jfern how do you conclude that conservatives dread the 9th amendment?
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 11:09:08 PM »

Because liberals take something, anything, call it a "right" and insist that it is protected under the 9th.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 01:46:51 AM »

They hate Griswold and Roe.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 06:09:45 AM »

Because liberals take something, anything, call it a "right" and insist that it is protected under the 9th.

Yes, as it is.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 08:35:40 AM »

In order to understand the Ninth Amendment, one must first determine what a "right" is. As far as the Constitution is concerned, a right is nothing more than an exception to the government's powers.

Thus, when introducing the Bill of Rights on the floor of the House of Representatives, James Madison said, "It has been objected also against a bill of rights, that, by enumerating particular exceptions to the grant of power, it would disparage those rights which were not placed in that enumeration" (emphasis added). Madison's statement shows quite clearly that, as far as the Bill of Rights was concerned, "rights" and "exceptions to the grant of power" were synonymous.

Many feared that, if only a few exceptions to the grant of power were enumerated, then the federal government might expand its powers in areas not specifically excepted. For example, someone might have claimed, "The federal government may regulate intrastate commerce, because nothing in the Constitution specifically prohibits it from doing so." It is precisely this line of reasoning that the Ninth Amendment precludes.

It is apparent from history and from the text itself that the Ninth Amendment does nothing more than limit the federal government to its enumerated powers. As Jfern's own link suggests, "the Amendment states but a rule of construction, making clear that a Bill of Rights might not by implication be taken to increase the powers of the national government in areas not enumerated, and that it does not contain within itself any guarantee of a right or a proscription of an infringement."

On its own, the Bill of Rights does not apply to the states, as John Marshall made clear in Barron v. Baltimore. It extends to the states only by virtue of the privileges or immunities clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Yet, by their very nature, the Ninth and Tenth Amendments cannot apply to the states, even by virtue of the Fourteenth Amendment. Both of these amendments were meant to chain the federal government to its enumerated powers; naturally, such a consideration does not arise with regard to the states.

The original interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment is in accord with the view that the term "privileges or immunities" only encompassed the first eight amendments to the Constitution. For example, the House sponsor of the amendment (John Bingham) argued in a debate in 1871:

"[T]he privileges and immunities of citizens of the United States, which are defined in the [first] eight articles of amendment, ... were not limitations on the power of the States before the fourteenth amendment made them limitations."

Other speeches from the same time period show a similar understanding of the privileges or immunities clause.

Neither the Fourteenth Amendment nor the Ninth Amendment authorizes judges to strike down laws that they dislike. For every liberal activist who claims that there is a constitutional right to privacy, there is a conservative activist who claims that there is a constitutional liberty of contract. For every Griswold v. Connecticut, there is a Lochner v. New York.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2005, 11:53:43 AM »

Finally, Emsworth is blue.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2005, 05:59:51 PM »

About time. His opinions of justices make it clear that he is no Democrat. I believe he valued the 5 who stole the 2000 election higher than the 4 who believe in counting every vote.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 06:07:45 PM »

About time. His opinions of justices make it clear that he is no Democrat. I believe he valued the 5 who stole the 2000 election higher than the 4 who believe in counting every vote.

Actually, seven justices believed that Florida should count every vote.  It was the two liberals who thought that it was OK for Florida to only perform recounts in Democratic counties.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »

As do I.  Does that make me not a Democrat?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 06:15:44 PM »

Yes. No Democrat supports stealing the election for a Republican who happens to be the worst President ever.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 07:10:37 PM »

In case it does, we're leaving the door open on this side of the aisle. Smiley
MarkDel

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2005, 07:18:23 PM »

John,

I have very little doubt, that one day, Alcon will make a nice moderately conservative Republican. He's WAY too logical to remain on that side of the aisle past the age of about 22.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2005, 07:33:16 PM »

John,

I have very little doubt, that one day, Alcon will make a nice moderately conservative Republican. He's WAY too logical to remain on that side of the aisle past the age of about 22.

Many many logicians are Democrats, genius.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 07:37:30 PM »

John,

Only the sh**tty ones, I'm sure.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2005, 07:45:11 PM »

John,

Hahaha. You are just a stupid partisan hack. Let's see where the best 2 graduate programs in logic are.
1.   University of California–Berkeley
2.   University of Wisconsin–Madison

Ooops, Berkeley, CA and Madison, WI. Not exactly a lot of Republicans there. You lose.

http://math.bilgi.edu.tr/pipermail/math/2002-February/000092.html
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2005, 07:51:57 PM »

John,

Hahaha. You are just a stupid partisan hack. Let's see where the best 2 graduate programs in logic are.

Ooops, Berkeley, CA and Madison, WI. Not exactly a lot of Republicans there. You lose.

I was obviously being sarcastic, but okay, I'll address your point as if it were a serious one.  Then we should probably get back to the issue at hand.

As any good logician would tell you, the voter registration in the city where the University is happens to be heavily Democratic does not mean that the logicians who work in the graduate program are also Democratic.

pwned
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2005, 07:52:53 PM »

John,

I was obviously being sarcastic, but okay, I'll address your point as if it were a serious one.  Then we should probably get back to the issue at hand.

As any good logician would tell you, the voter registration in the city where the University is happens to be heavily Democratic does not mean that the logicians who work in the graduate program are also Democratic.

pwned

Berkeley voted 90% Kerry, 6.5% Bush. Are you going to tell me that there are more Republicans than Democrats in the #1 logic program in the country?

You're the one who claimed that all of the good logicians aren't Democrats. Busted.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 07:58:34 PM »

John,

pwned

Berkeley voted 90% Kerry, 6.5% Bush. Are you going to tell me that there are more Republicans than Democrats in the #1 logic program in the country?

You're the one who claimed that all of the good logicians aren't Democrats. Busted.

Again, the voting patterns of the city do not determine the voting patterns of the logicians.  The voting patterns of the logicians may well be heavily Democrat, and I'd expect the faculty at UC Berkeley is.  Its not your hypothesis I'm disputing, I think your hypothesis is perfectly valid.  Its the question of whether you have proven you hypothesis to the point of being a fact that I think you've failed to do.

Obviously most logicians are in academia, and most of academia is leftist, so I was obviously (as I've said twice now) being sarcastic in my remarks.  But is interesting that when I say something so blatantly hyperbolic, you're still unable to win the debate on the merits.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 08:04:12 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2005, 08:06:53 PM by jfern »

John,

pwned

Again, the voting patterns of the city do not determine the voting patterns of the logicians.  The voting patterns of the logicians may well be heavily Democrat, and I'd expect the faculty at UC Berkeley is.  Its not your hypothesis I'm disputing, I think your hypothesis is perfectly valid.  Its the question of whether you have proven you hypothesis to the point of being a fact that I think you've failed to do.

Obviously most logicians are in academia, and most of academia is leftist, so I was obviously (as I've said twice now) being sarcastic in my remarks.  But is interesting that when I say something so blatantly hyperbolic, you're still unable to win the debate on the merits.

My god, you're actually trying to argue that logicians at Berkeley aren't Democrats.
Anyways, I've heard 2 Professors in the logic program make anti-Bush comments to 0 who made any other political comments, so you are really just being a stupid partisan hack here.

In addition I found a 3rd Professor, John Steel, who gave $250 to the DNC.

You are the one who made the outrageous claim that no good logicians are Democrats. Your partisan hack ass has been owned. STFU.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2005, 08:14:31 PM »

Yes. No Democrat supports stealing the election for a Republican who happens to be the worst President ever.

My agreeing with them more often than the "liberal" justices does not necessarily indicate I agree with Bush v. Gore.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2005, 08:15:23 PM »

My agreeing with them more often than the "liberal" justices does not necessarily indicate I agree with Bush v. Gore.

So do you agree with Bush vs. Gore?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies