Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:12:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 134682 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: December 04, 2019, 03:34:53 PM »

This is a good strategy for improving his standing among the important Blaxicasian primary electorate, but is a double-mobilizer in the GE (also motivates Trumps base).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1251 on: December 04, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2019, 03:46:27 PM by DINO Tom »

Buttipete calls 60+ million Trump voters deplorable racists:

1) Stop putting Hillary's words in his mouth, that's not what he said (although he did say they did something pretty deplorable without using that word)

2) Buttigieg happens to be completely right.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1252 on: December 04, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »

That seems to me a pretty diplomatic way to put it for Mayor Pete. I probably wouldn't have been as diplomatic.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1253 on: December 04, 2019, 04:17:17 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2019, 04:24:24 PM by DINO Tom »

That seems to me a pretty diplomatic way to put it for Mayor Pete. I probably wouldn't have been as diplomatic.

Indeed.  The less diplomatic (but even more accurate) way that I'd put it is that "[W]hile there are definitely some genuinely good people who simply got caught up in an evil movement in 2016 and thus voted for Trump.  Them aside, at the end of the day, I think we all pretty much knew by election day that Trump is a xenophobic, misogynistic, anti-Semitic, Islamophobic white supremacist who sexually assaulted multiple women.  The difference is that some of us think this makes him unfit for office, period.  Then you have the people who know this, but don't really give a sh!t as long as Trump tosses thirty pieces of silver their way by passing tax cuts for the wealthy and nominating right-wing judges.  And even if some folks really didn't know before, they certainly do by now.  Simple as that."
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1254 on: December 04, 2019, 04:21:48 PM »

You're 19 posts in and you're already concern trolling, strawmanning, being homophobic, and just flat out ignorant? Might be a new record.
Roblox

« Reply #1255 on: December 04, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »

For once, I completely agree with Buttigieg.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1256 on: December 04, 2019, 06:53:41 PM »

Just as I started coming around to him, he pulls this ****.

Yeah, I think I'm back off the Buttigieg train.

Even countries that have single payer systems do not give that same benefit to non-citizens.

There's nothing here to be angry about.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1257 on: December 04, 2019, 08:08:56 PM »

That just increased my opinion of Mayor Pete

Imagine being so batty you get upset he doesn't support providing subsidies for free healthcare to illegal immigrants. Not even blocking them from using it - just not giving them free subsidies to do so. Lmao.

Fun to see great, left-wing luminaries like ahem Beep Boop, #TiltRNevada, and Fhtagn defending Buttigieg on this.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #1258 on: December 04, 2019, 10:38:44 PM »

That just increased my opinion of Mayor Pete

Imagine being so batty you get upset he doesn't support providing subsidies for free healthcare to illegal immigrants. Not even blocking them from using it - just not giving them free subsidies to do so. Lmao.

Fun to see great, left-wing luminaries like ahem Beep Boop, #TiltRNevada, and Fhtagn defending Buttigieg on this.

What do you have to say about the fact that countries with single payer systems don't offer that same benefit to non-citizens? It's a valid point.

If you went to Canada or the UK and seek medical treatment, you will 100% have to pay fees because their system doesn't cover you.

Why should we offer something that no other country provides to people who haven't paid into the system?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1259 on: December 04, 2019, 10:41:05 PM »

Just noticed he looks like he came from Whoville.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1260 on: December 05, 2019, 03:34:31 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2019, 07:11:15 AM by punching violence in the face »

So remember Pete's spokesperson?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Pete isn't a Republican, but his spokeswoman sure as hell is.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1261 on: December 05, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »

So remember Pete's spokesperson?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah.

Maybe Pete isn't a Republican, but his spokeswoman sure as hell is.

Hmm...well fair is fair.  I criticized Sanders when he had an anti-Semitic (campaign?) Press Secretary and I’m gonna say something similar here.  This definitely goes with Pete’s worrisome closeness to the Silicon Valley folks in the “He has some bad friends and it worries me a bit about where he’s getting his advice from even if he personally means well” category.  It’d be unfair to hold Sanders to a higher standard just b/c I don’t want him to be the nominee (although he’s an invaluable voice in the Senate whom I really hope for the country’s sake becomes a Senate lifer instead of retiring). 

I still support Pete (and I doubt that’ll change until A) my second choice - Warren - makes a serious effort addresses the kinds of concerns I’ve expressed about her views on healthcare or B) I no longer think Buttigieg has a realistic path to winning the nomination), but this is disappointing.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1262 on: December 05, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »

Indeed.  The less diplomatic (but even more accurate) way that I'd put it is that "[W]hile there are definitely some genuinely good people who simply got caught up in an evil movement in 2016 and thus voted for Trump.  Them aside, at the end of the day, I think we all pretty much knew by election day that Trump is a xenophobic, misogynistic, anti-Semitic, Islamophobic white supremacist who sexually assaulted multiple women.  The difference is that some of us think this makes him unfit for office, period.  Then you have the people who know this, but don't really give a sh!t as long as Trump tosses thirty pieces of silver their way by passing tax cuts for the wealthy and nominating right-wing judges.  And even if some folks really didn't know before, they certainly do by now.  Simple as that."

Can you explain that claim to me? I'm Jewish, and it's literally never made sense to me. Do you really believe Trump is an anti-semite?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1263 on: December 05, 2019, 11:43:50 AM »

Can you explain that claim to me? I'm Jewish, and it's literally never made sense to me. Do you really believe Trump is an anti-semite?

Calling Adam Schiff "shifty", his sons using the term "sheckles", telling American Jews that Bibi Netanyahu is "their" Prime Minister, saying Jews who vote Democrat are "disloyal", etc.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1264 on: December 05, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »

Calling Adam Schiff "shifty", his sons using the term "sheckles", telling American Jews that Bibi Netanyahu is "their" Prime Minister, saying Jews who vote Democrat are "disloyal", etc.

Yawn. Shifty rhymes with Schiff. He isn't his sons. None of those things are really anti-semitic, even if the last two are clueless and pretty weird.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1265 on: December 05, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2019, 12:17:45 PM by DINO Tom »

I'm a Jewish-American as well and yes, I think Trump is a deeply anti-Semitic individual, but doesn't always get called out on it because he's a very specific type of anti-Semite.  He wholeheartedly subscribes to most of the typical anti-Semitic tropes (ex: It's pretty clear that he considers us foreign interlopers who infested the country long ago and have been greedily leeching away its money ever since), but Trump's sociopathic moral worldview is so screwed up that far from seeing these anti-Semitic tropes as negatives, he sees them as positive qualities to be commended.  

In other words, his moral compass is so radically off-course that to the extent he has a positive view of us, it's because he wholeheartedly believes a multitude of anti-Semitic tropes that a normal person would see as bigoted attacks against the Jewish people.  This article does a great job explaining this and includes some specific quotes/examples if you're really interested https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/08/21/trump-keeps-pushing-anti-semitic-stereotypes-he-thinks-hes-praising-jews/.  I mean, this phenomenon isn't even unique to Trump.

Then you have his comments about the Charlottesville Nazi rally.  Trump said there were "very fine people on both sides" in reference to what was at best a de facto Nazi rally where an innocent person was murdered.  There were not good people on both sides and to suggest there were is at best indicative of an appalling indifference to unambiguous, explicit, and ultimately violent anti-Semitism, but more likely is a sign that one holds anti-Semitic views themselves.  One side was a bunch of neo-
Nazis, white supremacists thugs like David Duke who were chanting "the Jews will not replace us" and ultimately ended up murdering an innocent person while deliberately driving thorough.  The other side were counter-protestors taking a stand against a de facto (again, "de facto" at best) Nazi rally that was being held in their city.  

There was no moral equivalency.  There was no good-faith #BothSides argument here, period.  The fact that Trump stubbornly insisted upon claiming otherwise says a lot about which side he's on in the Jewish-American community's fight against anti-Semitism.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1266 on: December 05, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »

I'm a Jewish-American as well and yes, I think Trump is a deeply anti-Semitic individual, but doesn't always get called out on it because he's a very specific type of anti-Semite.  He wholeheartedly subscribes to most of the typical anti-Semitic tropes (ex: It's pretty clear that he considers us foreign interlopers who infested the country long ago and have been greedily leeching away its money ever since), but Trump's sociopathic moral worldview is so screwed up that far from seeing these anti-Semitic tropes as negatives, he sees them as positive qualities to be commended.  

In other words, his moral compass is so radically off-course that to the extent he has a positive view of us, it's because he wholeheartedly believes a multitude of anti-Semitic tropes that a normal person would see as bigoted attacks against the Jewish people.  This article does a great job explaining this and includes some specific quotes/examples if you're really interested https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/08/21/trump-keeps-pushing-anti-semitic-stereotypes-he-thinks-hes-praising-jews/.  I mean, this phenomenon isn't even unique to Trump.

Then you have his comments about the Charlottesville Nazi rally.  Trump said there were "very fine people on both sides" in reference to what was at best a de facto Nazi rally where an innocent person was murdered.  There were not good people on both sides and to suggest there were is at best indicative of an appalling indifference to unambiguous, explicit, and ultimately violent anti-Semitism, but more likely is a sign that one holds anti-Semitic views themselves.  One side was a bunch of neo-
Nazis, white supremacists thugs like David Duke who were chanting "the Jews will not replace us" and ultimately ended up murdering an innocent person while deliberately driving thorough.  The other side were counter-protestors taking a stand against a de facto (again, "de facto" at best) Nazi rally that was being held in their city.  

There was no moral equivalency.  There was no good-faith #BothSides argument here, period.  The fact that Trump stubbornly insisted upon claiming otherwise says a lot about which side he's on in the Jewish-American community's fight against anti-Semitism.

What do you mean there? I'd certainly consider that an anti-semitic viewpoint, but I've never seen any reason to believe he holds it before.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1267 on: December 05, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »

What do you mean there? I'd certainly consider that an anti-semitic viewpoint, but I've never seen any reason to believe he holds it before.

Did you read the article I linked to?  I think the author does a really good job of laying it out.  I don't have time to do a whole mega-post, but it's really worth a read.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #1268 on: December 05, 2019, 04:48:18 PM »

You're talking to the same person who unironically accused me of being a Russian agent. You aren't dealing someone remotely in touch with reality here.
kyc0705

« Reply #1269 on: December 05, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »

The NYT editorial board has published an editorial calling for Buttigieg to open up about his work at McKinsey, and that his refusing to because he hasn't yet been released from his NDA is "not a tenable situation": https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/opinion/buttigieg-mckinsey.html
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1270 on: December 05, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »

The NYT editorial board has published an editorial calling for Buttigieg to open up about his work at McKinsey, and that his refusing to because he hasn't yet been released from his NDA is "not a tenable situation": https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/05/opinion/buttigieg-mckinsey.html

What a terrible opinion from The Failing New York Times.

The only people who are actually worked up that he had a job with McKinsey are concern-trolling Bernie Bros.

Real Americans either don't know what McKinsey is or, if they do, think of it as a highly prestigious consulting firm that isn't nefarious at all.

It's just another six-degrees-of-separation game.
Company X did a bad thing once.
McKinsey did consulting work for Company X, just like it did consulting work for millions of other companies.
Buttigieg worked at McKinsey.

Therefore, Company X is inherently evil, McKinsey is inherently evil by association, Buttigieg is personally responsible for the bad thing Company X did and is therefore evil as well.

The fact that he's legally required to not talk about what he did just lets the Bros make up all sorts of wild speculation that Buttigieg was personally responsible for the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina and the Cambodian Genocide.  Just like what they did with Hillary Clinton's Wall Street speeches, where she was legally required to not disclose them.

Here's what likely actually happened:  Target was trying to improve distribution efficiency but didn't know how, so they hired McKinsey to help them out.  McKinsey put together a team of data wizzes including Buttigieg to run some SQL queries and put together Excel spreadsheets breaking down sales metrics by product relative to certain efficiency metrics by store and quarter, did some optimization analysis, made some graphs in R, and wrote a 200-page PDF with recommended improvements.

This is what consulting firms actually do.  It's not nefarious at all, in fact it's pretty boring.
kyc0705

« Reply #1271 on: December 05, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »

Here's what likely actually happened:  Target was trying to improve distribution efficiency but didn't know how, so they hired McKinsey to help them out.  McKinsey put together a team of data wizzes including Buttigieg to run some SQL queries and put together Excel spreadsheets breaking down sales metrics by product relative to certain efficiency metrics by store and quarter, did some optimization analysis, made some graphs in R, and wrote a 200-page PDF with recommended improvements.

I'm with the overall thrust of the piece in terms of arguing for more candidate transparency, but I also agree with you that when it came to McKinsey, Buttigieg probably didn't do anything very noteworthy, much less concerning, on his part. As far as I can tell, this was basically his first meaningful job ever, aside from his work on the Kerry campaign, and they weren't going to let a 25-year-old kid do all that much.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1272 on: December 05, 2019, 07:22:29 PM »

I'm with the overall thrust of the piece in terms of arguing for more candidate transparency, but I also agree with you that when it came to McKinsey, Buttigieg probably didn't do anything very noteworthy, much less concerning, on his part. As far as I can tell, this was basically his first meaningful job ever, aside from his work on the Kerry campaign, and they weren't going to let a 25-year-old kid do all that much.

I mean, he's being as transparent as he's legally capable of being.

NYT is essentially arguing that he should commit a felony, by violating his NDA, in order to satisfy their curiosity about a job he had out of college.

And in order to pressure him into doing so, they're going to throw around all sorts of baseless speculation about nefarious things he may or may not have done at that job.

It's super unfair and I'd say NYT should be ashamed of themselves, but I've long since stopped believing that they're capable of experiencing shame or self-reflection.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1273 on: December 06, 2019, 02:24:47 AM »

What a terrible opinion from The Failing New York Times.

The only people who are actually worked up that he had a job with McKinsey are concern-trolling Bernie Bros.

Real Americans either don't know what McKinsey is or, if they do, think of it as a highly prestigious consulting firm that isn't nefarious at all.

It's just another six-degrees-of-separation game.
Company X did a bad thing once.
McKinsey did consulting work for Company X, just like it did consulting work for millions of other companies.
Buttigieg worked at McKinsey.

Therefore, Company X is inherently evil, McKinsey is inherently evil by association, Buttigieg is personally responsible for the bad thing Company X did and is therefore evil as well.

The fact that he's legally required to not talk about what he did just lets the Bros make up all sorts of wild speculation that Buttigieg was personally responsible for the Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina and the Cambodian Genocide.  Just like what they did with Hillary Clinton's Wall Street speeches, where she was legally required to not disclose them.

This is what consulting firms actually do.  It's not nefarious at all, in fact it's pretty boring.

Wait bolded the relevant section for my own edification:

"Target was trying to improve distribution efficiency"

Are we talking about Target???

https://www.target.com/

I worked in their FCs and DCs, along with multiple relatives and friends, and it is and was a crappy place to work, even by the standards of warehouse work.

The only friend or relative that survived more than 3-6 Months, was an Ex-Marine that had a cush job driving lift, and wasn't a picker a packer, let alone shipping nor receiving....

Trucking wasn't so bad because it was all subbed out, but the truckers were all Non-Union from some Sub-Contract firm and getting jacked up by their own bosses, even though they didn't have to pay the cost of their own wheels for (Cool Hour "Short Haul" Truckin'

Eff.... Target and the bosses that come with them....

We had coworkers drooling at the mouth for the warehouse jobs to open up in new Amazon facilities in Gresham and Salem, rather than work in that slave driving company where employee performance is measured as "Prods" (Unit of Production), with your wristbands and scanners where all codes need to be punched in, while "Cherry Pickers" run the front of the belt in Inbound Receiving when the whistle blows and the dock doors open....

If Mayor Pete has anything to do with a Union-Busting Company that doesn't pay fair wages and salaries, that has the regular "5 Minute" Safety stretch at the start of a (10) hour shift, where so many OSHA injuries have occurred, I want nothing to do for his campaign....
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1274 on: December 06, 2019, 03:02:23 AM »

Bro, I literally picked Target out of a hat.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies