Commonwealth of Fremont • 10th Parliament (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:39:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Commonwealth of Fremont • 10th Parliament (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Commonwealth of Fremont • 10th Parliament  (Read 3875 times)
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« on: February 18, 2019, 06:13:48 PM »

The vote on the SOAP changes should have been opened a few days ago. So Mr. Speaker, may you please open the vote now.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:16:40 PM »

I vote AYE on all four rules changes. These amendments are much needed to ensure the continued smooth functioning of government.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:27:23 PM »

With 7 total MPs, there are now 4 votes in the affirmative for every single rule change. So all 4 Standing Orders Amendments have now passed. All that remains is waiting for Koopa and Galaxie to vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:26:46 PM »

The South has 12 slots. Lincoln has no slots whatsoever. I'd say a modest increase from 5 to 8 is a good thing, as it will allow Parliament to pass more legislation, and not have bills languish in the queue for months on end.
5 slots simply isn't adequate for the volume of legislation we are now experiencing. Bills languish i the queue for weeks, months, forgotten. Especially given how slow how standing orders make passing legislation, an increase in slots is most certainly needed.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:26:49 AM »

I introduce the following amendment to the Standing Orders. Firstly, the Speaker may also move for cloture in addition to the First Minister, and secondly after the 72 hours debate any member can move for a final vote. This removes the 36 hour waiting game.

ARTICLE III, Sections 4-6
You must be logged in to read this quote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 01:28:31 AM »

I object for procedural matters to force an immediate vote. Mr. Speaker?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:29:27 AM »

AYE
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 01:53:16 AM »

Why shortchange debate by axing the 36 hour time frame?

Any member can object to a vote, I would remind you. Indeed a motion for a final vote will only ever be successful if the entire house is in agreement. In such cases, there isn't anything to debate. If a member feels more debate is needed, they are more than allowed to object to any motion until either they feel debate has run it's course or a motion for cloture is successful. 36 hours without debate only slows down the wheels of government, as we are forced to run down the clock before moving to a final vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 06:30:44 PM »

With 4 votes in favour, the amendment to the Standing Orders is adopted.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »

Mr. Speaker, with the passage of the amendment increasing the number of slots to 8, pray tell, when will these 3 new slots be used?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »

In the interest of reducing the abruptness of the transition, I would second the nomination of Jimmy for Speaker.
What we need now is certainty and experience, to see us through this Parliamentary overhaul. And I am of the opinion that only Jimmy can provide that at this time.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »

[ X ] Jimmy7812
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 09:24:35 PM »

With the 24 hours voting having past, may the FM please close the vote so the Speaker can swear in and get to work?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 07:53:29 PM »

I introduce the following amendment to the Standing Orders. This amendment makes it crystal clear that only votes cast within the exact 72 hours voting time are valid. This is to avoid disputes as have occurred previously.

ARTICLE IV, New Section
2) Only votes cast within the exact 72 hours after the Speaker has opened the vote shall be valid. Any votes cast after the 72 hours has expired are to be considered invalid, and may not be counted by the Speaker.

All following sections are renumbered accordingly.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »

I object for procedural matters to force an immediate vote. I ask that the speaker open a final vote immediately.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 07:59:23 PM »

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »

And with 4 votes in favour, the amendment to the standing orders is now adopted.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 01:27:45 AM »

And with 4 votes in favour, the amendment to the standing orders is now adopted.

Since when did you become speaker?

Edit: This actually is a good idea tbf.

Just informing everyone that it's passed. It's the speakers job to certify it.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 02:44:12 AM »

Seconded
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 08:30:52 PM »

If we're getting rid of the license suspension I'd rather like it that we increase fines accordingly.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2019, 05:33:06 AM »
« Edited: March 28, 2019, 05:36:50 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

AN ACT
Because we really should have settled on a regional Demonym by now

Section 1: Title

This legislation may be cited as the Fremont Demonym Referendum Act.

Section 2: Text
1. A question shall be put forward to the people of Fremont in a referendum to be held on the second weekend following the passage of this Act. Said question shall read: "What should be recognised as the official demonym of the Commonwealth of Fremont?", in order to determine what should be recognised as the official regional demonym. The demonym that wins said election, using established voting systems, shall be designated the region's official demonym.
2. The following options shall be on the ballot:
i. Fremonter/Fremonters
ii. Fremontian/Fremontians
3. Prior to the passage of this act this Parliament shall conduct a non-binding vote to indicate each individual member's preferred demonym.

Section 3: Effectiveness
1. This Act shall take effect immediately upon its passage.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2019, 05:38:02 AM »

The point of this bill is to sort out the confusion over the correct demonym for Fremont. Both Fremonters and Fremontians have been used by different people, and there is no consensus on what should be used.
Therefore we might as well hold a referendum on the matter, to sort out the confusion so we can have a unified standard.
Also, before the bill passes, a non-binding vote of Parliament will be held on the matter, just so the people can have clarity over each persons preferred demonym.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2019, 10:17:38 PM »

I introduce the following amendment to the Standing Orders. This amendment reduces the duration of final votes from 72 to 48 hours, to achieve standardisation with the voting time for votes on amendments and confirmation of officials. The fact is, if someone hasn't voted within 48 hours, giving them another day isn't going to change anything. However the additional wait holds up Parliament. In almost all votes a majority decision of Parliament has been decided within 24 hours of the votes opening. However even after a bill has already got enough votes to pass, 1 or 2 inactive stragglers hold up the bill for 2 days, holding up the functioning of Parliament with them.

Quote from: ARTICLE IV
1) Votes on legislation shall last for seventy-two (72) forty-eight (48) hours, or until the whole membership has voted, whichever comes first.

2) Only votes cast within the exact 72 48 hours after the Speaker has opened the vote shall be valid. Any votes cast after the 72 48 hours has expired are to be considered invalid, and may not be counted by the Speaker.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 10:18:43 PM »

I object to force an immediate vote. Mr. Speaker?
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 10:21:12 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies