rednecks for hillary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:31:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  rednecks for hillary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: rednecks for hillary  (Read 2336 times)
SaneDemocrat

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2019, 07:10:59 PM »

Where did Hillary Clinton do best with rural white southern voters?What towns/counties?
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »

Franklin County, Kentucky seems like a contender.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »

How about the counties in north Georgia? Most still went handily to Trump, but they trended Democrat, which is against the trend in much of the rural south.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »

Really nowhere.  I guess you could say Wautauga, NC because it isn't very big, but it does have a University, but those aren't rednecks.  They are called racist hicks for a reason.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:21:32 AM »
« Edited: January 28, 2019, 09:40:22 AM by Fmr. Pres. Griff »

2012 White Vote by County
2016 White Vote by County

White Vote Swing by County, 2012-16

Note: the 2016 and 2012 white vote calculations were done by two different people (reagente & myself, respectively) and used different models to calculate the respective shares. If you see a county that looks completely out of step with its surroundings on the swing map, then it's likely an issue related to reconciling the two different models (this is most common in areas where the white vote is relatively tiny or the Latino population is relatively large; more room for error with even small adjustments in minority turnout/support). In some cases, my model is likely off while his is off in other cases. However, broadly speaking, our models were in general agreement in the vast, vast majority of counties.

Anyway, broadly speaking, Clinton improved over Obama the most throughout large portions of rural MS (likely due to lower turnout across the board), swathes of eastern NC and north/middle GA, and various rural coastal counties. In many of these places, black turnout dropped like a rock, which obscures the fact that Clinton did better among whites when merely looking at overall margins and comparing them to 2012.

In terms of her best rural areas in absolute terms: western NC, TN & AR. White rural Democratic vote share is heavily correlated with both latitude (even within the South itself) and race in the modern era (i.e. the fewer black voters, the more rural Southern whites tend to be).
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 02:00:40 PM »

Note: the 2016 and 2012 white vote calculations were done by two different people (reagente & myself, respectively) and used different models to calculate the respective shares. If you see a county that looks completely out of step with its surroundings on the swing map, then it's likely an issue related to reconciling the two different models (this is most common in areas where the white vote is relatively tiny or the Latino population is relatively large; more room for error with even small adjustments in minority turnout/support). In some cases, my model is likely off while his is off in other cases. However, broadly speaking, our models were in general agreement in the vast, vast majority of counties.

Anyway, broadly speaking, Clinton improved over Obama the most throughout large portions of rural MS (likely due to lower turnout across the board), swathes of eastern NC and north/middle GA, and various rural coastal counties. In many of these places, black turnout dropped like a rock, which obscures the fact that Clinton did better among whites when merely looking at overall margins and comparing them to 2012.

In terms of her best rural areas in absolute terms: western NC, TN & AR. White rural Democratic vote share is heavily correlated with both latitude (even within the South itself) and race in the modern era (i.e. the fewer black voters, the more rural Southern whites tend to be).

I grew up in PG County, Maryland. The result there does not surprise me.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:05:58 AM »

It seems very inaccurate though, considering the county swung to Hillary.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 12:01:37 PM »

It seems very inaccurate though, considering the county swung to Hillary.

Yeah, PG's relatively small white population means that even a small variance in projected white/black share of electorate in one or both of our models could throw the swing off considerably, hence the initial disclaimer. It's too bad GA is like the only state that collects and publishes racial turnout data all the way down to the precinct level, as that would make the projections even more accurate regardless of a county or precinct's racial makeup.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 12:31:47 PM »

Clinton's white majority in New Castle County precludes the GOP from winning Delaware, at least for a while.
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »

little rock area
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 05:03:45 PM »

How about the counties in north Georgia? Most still went handily to Trump, but they trended Democrat, which is against the trend in much of the rural south.
Georgia is a pretty black state so its possible the white vote is maxed out in those counties.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »

Really nowhere.  I guess you could say Wautauga, NC because it isn't very big, but it does have a University, but those aren't rednecks.  They are called racist hicks for a reason.

Yes, ASU is in Boone proper, but there are definitely rednecks out in the county.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 03:28:52 AM »

Georgia is a pretty black state so its possible the white vote is maxed out in those counties.
North Georgia also has a fairly high Hispanic population, Whitfield County is 35%, and it trended D.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 03:20:01 PM »

There are actually a couple counties in East Kentucky that moved towards Hillary. Perry and Leslie to be exact. Beyond that, not really much more.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies