Millennials are moving to the Midwest in higher numbers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:15:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Millennials are moving to the Midwest in higher numbers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Millennials are moving to the Midwest in higher numbers  (Read 1371 times)
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:56 AM »

Minnesota had the highest influx of Millennials in the U.S., with 63 percent of arrivals falling into the 20- and 30-something age bracket, Census data from 2017 shows. The Midwest seems to be rebounding with millennials, which I think will slow the R trend in the region. I think millennials are looking to the Midwest for a cheaper COL with the same quality of life as coastal states. The chart below is data from 2017.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:24:40 AM »

MS is oddly high for all the talk of millennials moving out.
dpmapper
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »

I don't think that's the correct interpretation.  Just because 40% of new MS residents are millennials doesn't mean that there are many millennials moving to MS, there are just few people moving to MS of all ages.  And the chart definitely doesn't say anything about who, or how many, are moving out. 

There are undoubtedly lots more millennials moving to Florida than to Arkansas, it's just that there are TONS of non-millennials moving to Florida, so the percentage of new Florida residents that are millennials is low.  So with the midwest, it could be that there are a lot of new millennial residents... or it could just be that there are not that many new non-millennial residents.  It's impossible to tell just from this chart.  I would bet it's closer to the latter. 

Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »

I’m sure the snowflake generation will manage antarctic levels of freezing. What a glorious cost for cheaper cost of living.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:35:02 AM »

Lousiana?  I suppose New Orleans isn't much of a retirement destination.  Not surprising, I guess.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 11:59:56 AM »

The population in MN is overturning...baby boomers are moving out in significant numbers to warmer climes and being replaced by millennials because jobs are available.  The 25-40 age groups have been expanding while the 50-64 age group has been shrinking.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »

Surprised Colorado isn't higher (I know at least five people who moved to Denver after graduation), but I am guessing there are a lot of non-Millennial (specifically Hispanic?) incomers to throw off the percentage?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:15:40 PM »

It looks as though population losers and slow-growth states tend to have higher percentages of incoming Millenials.

This suggests that, far from these states being success stories in any sense, this is more a matter of failing to attract people from every other age group. (I notice that dpmapper comes to the same conclusion above.)

People in their 20s and 30s are more likely to make interstate moves, so it makes sense that the background level of mobility would be higher for them even in states that have few pull factors working in their favor. If we were looking at net migration figures by age group, probably the geography would look radically different.
I've only looked at Minnesota in detail, and as I hinted at above... the state has been attracting millennials for pretty much the entire decade.  But baby boomers have been leaving.  There were more baby boomers leaving than millennials arriving until 2016 but this trend has reversed.

Here is the breakdown of changes between a 5 year age cohort in 2017 minus the preceding 5 year age cohort in 2012 (the same birth years)

05-09:  +10,693
10-14:  +6394
15-19:  +3830
20-24:  +1769
25-29:  +14,205
30-34:  +17,171
35-39:  +6387
40-44:  -320
45-49:  -3296
50-54:  -7724
55-59:  -12,617
60-64:  -17,320
65-69:  -21,158
70-74:  -20,301
75-79:  -19,608
80-84:  -22,425

This does not adjust for deaths so obviously the larger numbers above age 65 reflect elderly deaths as well as out-migration.

This pattern shows modest changes in migration but it does show one thing clearly:  Minnesota is attracting young families and young professionals... hence the growth in both 25-39 age groups as well as the increasing growth rates of younger children vs. older children.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 04:43:08 PM »

Only tangentially related, but this article has a lot of stats about where Millennials live and at what concentrations (some of it is dated, though).

Not a whole lot of overlap between where Millennials are the largest share of the population and where they're the largest share of those new arrivals:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 05:03:36 PM »

I don't think that's the correct interpretation.  Just because 40% of new MS residents are millennials doesn't mean that there are many millennials moving to MS, there are just few people moving to MS of all ages.  And the chart definitely doesn't say anything about who, or how many, are moving out. 

There are undoubtedly lots more millennials moving to Florida than to Arkansas, it's just that there are TONS of non-millennials moving to Florida, so the percentage of new Florida residents that are millennials is low.  So with the midwest, it could be that there are a lot of new millennial residents... or it could just be that there are not that many new non-millennial residents.  It's impossible to tell just from this chart.  I would bet it's closer to the latter. 

Similarly, there would be few older people moving to MN, because old bones do not like cold weather.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 05:15:10 PM »

Only tangentially related, but this article has a lot of stats about where Millennials live and at what concentrations (some of it is dated, though).

Not a whole lot of overlap between where Millennials are the largest share of the population and where they're the largest share of those new arrivals:

Military bases and Universities attract persons of a certain ago.

Maybe Bakersfield is becoming an LA Exurban area.

[/quote]

Lots of old people or lack of jobs for anyone, let alone new job seekers.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 09:00:01 PM »

strange set of data to use as evidence. shouldn't you look at absolute numbers (at least relative to each state's population) rather than percentages?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 09:42:41 PM »

looks like they are playing strategic to reinforce Democratic control over the Midwest to prevent Trump from winning those states again.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:34 AM »

MS is oddly high for all the talk of millennials moving out.

High birth rate common in the Mountain and Deep South. Most of the indlux in such states is from neighboring states.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »

strange set of data to use as evidence. shouldn't you look at absolute numbers (at least relative to each state's population) rather than percentages?

I suppose.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 03:11:46 PM »

Agreed. It dramatically understates millennial movement in popular retirement destinations like Florida and Arizona, while overestimating it in cold places that old people don't move to like Minnesota.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:09:10 PM »

looks like they are playing strategic to reinforce Democratic control over the Midwest to prevent Trump from winning those states again.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies