Opinion of American Humanist Association?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:43:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of American Humanist Association?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
FG

HG

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Opinion of American Humanist Association?  (Read 3094 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 11:40:40 AM »

1. Is the ability to eat and defecate without discomfort the only thing that keeps us sane and in touch with reality?

Not the only thing, someone with a stable sense of self can undergo a bit of intestinal discomfort. But someone in chronic intestinal distress is unlikely to have a stable sense of self.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not fully informed, as I can’t read the primary literature in its original language. But the idea that an integrated sense of self resides in an undisturbed digestive tract is something true to my own experience, confirmed by the experience of others, and increasingly proven by science.

I believe that people who are under duress are willing to do things that distract them from their pain that they would not do if their minds and bodies were in a state of undisturbed clarity.

The excretionary system is the end point of digestion. To find pleasure in the agitation of the excretionary system indicates an unstable personality.

It aids and abets the agitation of one’s partner, and is thus exploitative.

They’re of a different sort, as the former group of people don’t seek to be agitated, but the latter do.

I suspect the elites themselves are disposed to anal sex, and want the rest of society to share their predilections.

As history shows, those who give anal sex are more likely to be the controllers than the controlled.

I think it’s hard to argue that there isn’t. Perhaps not consciously coordinated, but again, battleground of unconscious forces and all that.

Be skeptical of the urge to commit anal sex and of those who promote it.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »

Humanism makes little sense with “secular” added in front of it, regardless of what we puny humans think.
This. The most "humanist" way is the way that recognizes He who created everything and that recognizes our place as humans; what we are, and what we are not. Most of the problems of the modern world are caused by an imbalance in the world and in ourselves, the imbalance that is the logical consequence of the increasing lack of recognition of all this. The American Humanist Association contributes to this nefarious development, so I voted HG.

I have to say that I throughly enjoy the discussion between Mopolis and Afleitch, by the way. Great to see that this board is living up to its purpose now that the noiseposter has gone and there is a new moderator.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »

1. Is the ability to eat and defecate without discomfort the only thing that keeps us sane and in touch with reality?

Not the only thing, someone with a stable sense of self can undergo a bit of intestinal discomfort. But someone in chronic intestinal distress is unlikely to have a stable sense of self.

Not fully informed, as I can’t read the primary literature in its original language. But the idea that an integrated sense of self resides in an undisturbed digestive tract is something true to my own experience, confirmed by the experience of others, and increasingly proven by science.

I believe that people who are under duress are willing to do things that distract them from their pain that they would not do if their minds and bodies were in a state of undisturbed clarity.

The excretionary system is the end point of digestion. To find pleasure in the agitation of the excretionary system indicates an unstable personality.

It aids and abets the agitation of one’s partner, and is thus exploitative.

They’re of a different sort, as the former group of people don’t seek to be agitated, but the latter do.

I suspect the elites themselves are disposed to anal sex, and want the rest of society to share their predilections.

As history shows, those who give anal sex are more likely to be the controllers than the controlled.

I think it’s hard to argue that there isn’t. Perhaps not consciously coordinated, but again, battleground of unconscious forces and all that.

Be skeptical of the urge to commit anal sex and of those who promote it.

I don't now where to begin with this. I can't tell if you're trolling or showing some type of disconnect or delusion, I mean take 'The excretionary system is the end point of digestion. To find pleasure in the agitation of the excretionary system indicates an unstable personality.' So too is the penis, in case you'd not checked. I piss out of my dick. And at the other end, I kiss with the same mouth I eat. Anal sex 'aids and abets the agitation of one’s partner, and is thus exploitative.' I do not see how consensual sex that stimulates the sexual sensitive prostate resulting in eye rolling orgasmic bliss that other men would not otherwise experience is exploitative. I mean, i'm exploiting the prostate, in the same way I can exploit the ass with the tongue. If that's what you mean.

And ultimately, while you're warning people that spirits can invade peoples assholes and it's an elitist conspiracy while i'm sitting with my husband playing a Nintendo Switch.

But if it is real for you, then I hope you get help.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2019, 10:02:05 AM »

Humanism makes little sense with “secular” added in front of it, regardless of what we puny humans think.
This. The most "humanist" way is the way that recognizes He who created everything and that recognizes our place as humans; what we are, and what we are not. Most of the problems of the modern world are caused by an imbalance in the world and in ourselves, the imbalance that is the logical consequence of the increasing lack of recognition of all this. The American Humanist Association contributes to this nefarious development, so I voted HG.

I waiver back and forth on terms of my actual spiritual views, but I've generally come to the conclusion that, in a world with secular presumptions, society is a mutual survival pact, and that human dignity is a defense mechanism. By contrast, when I first heard of humanism in seventh grade documentaries about the Renaissance, it seemed a naturally religious phenomenon--God has given us bodies and minds and it is incumbent on us to use them. (Mind you, I'm no philosophy expert, so maybe I missed the point of Renaissance-era humanism)

This is one of the funniest exchanges I've seen on the forum in general in a while, but I can take no credit for that.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »

Mopolis is aware that the prostate is an erogenous zone, right...? Like, he does know that men don't enjoy receiving anal sex Just Because...?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 05:06:04 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2019, 05:10:39 AM by afleitch »

Mopolis is aware that the prostate is an erogenous zone, right...? Like, he does know that men don't enjoy receiving anal sex Just Because...?

Intelligent design Surprise

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 11:00:33 AM »

Strategically placed by Satan to tempt the faith of mankind, just like dinosaur fossils.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 12:55:11 PM »

Strategically placed by Satan to tempt the faith of mankind, just like dinosaur fossils.

So you think Satan was working for God and not against God by tempting Man?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 01:58:05 PM »

I’m surprised that someone as well-versed as you had never come across the Book of Job!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 02:57:31 PM »

So Satan had a design in fashioning Adam and the seminal delivery system for sperm?
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 03:03:34 PM »

Okay guys, he's definitely trolling. I've known some pretty crazy evangelicals and even they didn't believe dinosaur fossils were strategically placed here by Satan to tempt the faith of Christians.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »

So Satan had a design in fashioning Adam and the seminal delivery system for sperm?

Yeah that's. Pretty much Gnostic heresy right here.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 04:13:58 PM »

Okay guys, he's definitely trolling. I've known some pretty crazy evangelicals and even they didn't believe dinosaur fossils were strategically placed here by Satan to tempt the faith of Christians.

I'm pretty sure there's a Chick Tract that alleges that, but Chick Tracts are widely considered jokes even by conservative Evangelicals.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 10:55:02 PM »

I’m surprised that someone as well-versed as you had never come across the Book of Job!

It's one of Heinlein's weaker novels in my opinion.  Give me Starship Troopers, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, or even Stranger in a Strange Land any day.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies