SB 9103: Close the Regional Change Loophole Act of 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:09:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 9103: Close the Regional Change Loophole Act of 2019
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 9103: Close the Regional Change Loophole Act of 2019  (Read 2083 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2019, 01:54:15 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

SEC. III. IMPLEMENTATION.
1. This Act shall take effect immediately upon its passage.[/quote][/quote]

Sponsor: Sestak
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 02:28:35 AM »

Anyone? It's nearing 3 days.

I strongly support this because I'm not a fan of moving hopping in general. I realize moving hoping is probably more necessary than with 3 regions than 5 for strategic reasons (let's keep it real, moving regions is largely strategic and there is published proof of this - it was discussed in the logs released by a radical who use to serve as vice president back in the day), but it risks inbalance to the game. Right now, it's skewing all the political energy towards Fremont (which I guess was helpful for me politically but that doesn't make it right) and leaving the other two regions ignored (TM to his credit has kept the South afloat to a large extent but I can't say I'm happy with the dire straights Lincoln has been in given they have a stupid and useless bloated cabinet, no bills on the wiki, yet just 3 legislators).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 02:30:26 AM »

I feel region lock should be amended to be a shorter length as 180 days is too long and this is an eternity in Atlasia, people should have greater freedom of choice on this issue. I recognize region lock is important but I believe it should be shorter than it currently is and this would be a constructive improvement to the current status quo.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 02:53:55 AM »

So.

General advocacy first, then I'll deal with Pericles' comments.

We have region lock for a reason, and the deregistration loophole completely gets around it; as we've seen in multiple cases recently (with a couple people, such as DFW and Mike, even doing it twice in a row). The loophole essentially allows for unlimited regional change and all the exploitation that comes with that. It needs to go.

Now, to Pericles, while I do understand your point, the current number is six months, which is three cycles federally and just two cycles in Fremont and the South; anything shorter than this would allow people to move to those regions for just one cycle before moving out. Also, I'm wary of even dropping to two cycles for federal races; an influential party leader could potentially move half of their members every cycle, which allows for substantial manipulation. I believe the current mark of three federal cycles is the correct balance between allowing exploitative regional management while alos allowing individual freedom in moving.

Now there are some questions about wording etc and a couple other technical things that I'll bring up in a subsequent post.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 04:46:55 AM »

I strongly support this because I'm not a fan of moving hopping in general. I realize moving hoping is probably more necessary than with 3 regions than 5 for strategic reasons (let's keep it real, moving regions is largely strategic and there is published proof of this - it was discussed in the logs released by a radical who use to serve as vice president back in the day), but it risks inbalance to the game. Right now, it's skewing all the political energy towards Fremont (which I guess was helpful for me politically but that doesn't make it right) and leaving the other two regions ignored (TM to his credit has kept the South afloat to a large extent but I can't say I'm happy with the dire straights Lincoln has been in given they have a stupid and useless bloated cabinet, no bills on the wiki, yet just 3 legislators).

There were a couple of times when moves were necessitated to revive a region. Truman moving to Fremont as I recall just prior to becoming FM and also pre-reset, Lumine moved back to the Pacific to become Senator because there was likely literally no one else in the region to do it at the time as I recall (at least no one who wasn't batsh@%T crazy and there were a lot of them floating around in July 2015).
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 04:51:24 AM »

There were a couple of times when moves were necessitated to revive a region. Truman moving to Fremont as I recall just prior to becoming FM and also pre-reset, Lumine moved back to the Pacific to become Senator because there was likely literally no one else in the region to do it at the time as I recall (at least no one who wasn't batsh@%T crazy and there were a lot of them floating around in July 2015).

That's true. Maybe we should give Congress the ability to add an exception in those necessary cases (particularly the Truman one since that required Congressional intervention, the Pacific one is less likely to be repeated post-reset)?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 05:03:30 AM »

That's true. Maybe we should give Congress the ability to add an exception in those necessary cases (particularly the Truman one since that required Congressional intervention, the Pacific one is less likely to be repeated post-reset)?

People are not born crazy, they became crazy (radical) for several reasons:
1. Bored
2. Stir crap up
3. Because blowing stuff up will surely cause my golden reform idea to be enacted and couldn't possible lead to a counter political movement.
4. This game sucks and you suck for playing it.

Several people in 2015 reached all four levels at the same time.

But yes, this could never possibly happen again, everything's fine dont' worry about it.

On a more serious note, yes I think maybe some kind of emergency exception might be reasonable, just so long as they aren't being distributed out like candy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 05:07:50 AM »

Also when it comes to not moving, I have been in the same state, with the fewest distinct registrations of anyone in this game relative to length of time in the game.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »

On a more serious note, yes I think maybe some kind of emergency exception might be reasonable, just so long as they aren't being distributed out like candy.

Agreed, this seems reasonable, the only thing that worries me is it might be abused for partisan reasons, so we would have to find some way to prevent that.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:18:40 AM »

Agreed, this seems reasonable, the only thing that worries me is it might be abused for partisan reasons, so we would have to find some way to prevent that.

Maybe 2/3rds in both houses instead of a simple majority?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 01:22:52 PM »

Maybe 2/3rds in both houses instead of a simple majority?

That sounds reasonable
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 01:28:14 PM »

I'd support 2/3.

Also, the way that this is written, days spent deregistered would not be counted towards the 180 day cooldown period. Would we prefer to count deregistered time towards it?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 01:29:32 PM »

I'd support 2/3.

Also, the way that this is written, days spent deregistered would not be counted towards the 180 day cooldown period. Would we prefer to count deregistered time towards it?

I think so yeah
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:30 AM »

In answer to Sestak’s question, yes.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 01:17:54 AM »

Can someone formally introduce said amendment?

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 01:33:08 AM »

Going to make a few slight additions to that.

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 01:54:40 AM »

24 hours to object to the amendment above.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 02:02:23 AM »

technically I should be calling that, but yeah. 24 hours.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 02:04:17 AM »

For a second I thought this was a VP administered slot Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 05:08:14 AM »

For a second I thought this was a VP administered slot Tongue
This seems to be going around.

You know if you guys maintained updated slot noticeboards, this wouldn't happen. YE's would say "VP administered" beside them. https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=291265.msg6195202#msg6195202
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 08:34:46 PM »

This has six hours left to object to the amendment.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 06:24:31 PM »

I think time's up for an objection then (just pointing that out, I certainly have no objection)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 06:36:09 PM »

This needs a new sponsor.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 02:37:52 AM »

I guess then I move to sponsor.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 03:04:36 AM »

With no objection having been entered I am now sponsor of the bill.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies