Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:23:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 77
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 127890 times)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: February 19, 2019, 05:04:02 PM »

Wow, neoliberals attacking Sanders over his age and concern trolling he could die in office? Why do I never here this about Biden?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #551 on: February 19, 2019, 05:08:23 PM »

Wow, neoliberals attacking Sanders over his age and concern trolling he could die in office? Why do I never here this about Biden?

Biden gets plenty of criticism, but to be honest he's too old to be President as well. Age is a valid concern and not because of the prospect of dying, but the issue of being able to keep up with the job. Like I already stated, this is not a monarchy and shouldn't be treated like one. Being President requires real work.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #552 on: February 19, 2019, 05:08:48 PM »

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

Bernie's odds of dying before 2024 aren't that high especially as he's in good health.

I don't think him dying in office should be a concern.  If he dies, then the VP takes over, so not really a problem.  The problem is more if he (or Biden, or any other similarly old candidate) experiences significant physical and/or mental decline while in office, and is no longer to operate in the job at 100%.  Ideally, we'd get some kind of guarantee before they're sworn in that they'd resign if that were to happen, though I'm not sure if there's a good way to do that.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #553 on: February 19, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »

Bernie's odds of dying before 2024 aren't that high especially as he's in good health.

I don't think him dying in office should be a concern.  If he dies, then the VP takes over, so not really a problem.  The problem is more if he (or Biden, or any other similarly old candidate) experiences significant physical and/or mental decline while in office, and is no longer to operate in the job at 100%.  Ideally, we'd get some kind of guarantee before they're sworn in that they'd resign if that were to happen, though I'm not sure if there's a good way to do that.

I'm sure Bernie would invoke the 25th amendment if he was unable to perform his duties as President.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #554 on: February 19, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »

Wow, I didn’t think it was possible for Atlas Democrats to hate someone more than Trump, and it’s someone who caucuses with the Democrats to boot!

Criticizing Sanders is fair game, and he’ll have to respond to any criticism, but this board acts as though he endorsed Trump, has negative favorables among Democrats, and is a Russia shill who called for ending voting rights for women and minorities. Love him or hate him, he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with in the primary and the general. He’s by no means inevitable, but underestimate him at your own peril. I hope those who at least claim to be Democrats who are reacting negatively to him will at least get behind him if he’s the nominee, otherwise you have no place complaining about “Bernie Bros” (especially since most of his supporters voted for Hillary in 2016.)
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #555 on: February 19, 2019, 05:24:45 PM »

Just did the math, the odds of a 77-year-old male living to age 82 is 70.28%, according to that link. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #556 on: February 19, 2019, 05:26:11 PM »

Just did the math, the odds of a 77-year-old male living to age 82 is 70.28%, according to that link. 

Now take into account that they are a US Senator in good health.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #557 on: February 19, 2019, 05:29:47 PM »

Now take into account that they are a US Senator in good health.

Yeah, it's clearly a lower bound.  He's pretty unlikely to die in office (although it'd definitely be more plausible if he got reelected).
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #558 on: February 19, 2019, 05:29:59 PM »

I swear, this forum is going to turn me into a full-on Bernie Bro.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #559 on: February 19, 2019, 05:34:44 PM »

Sanders is one of a very few Dems I'd consider voting for in the general.

Why is that?  I mean, I get you're kind of a *populist* from what I can tell, but that Economic Score is a far cry from Sanders' still, and any Republican is going to be MUCH closer to you on social issues.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #560 on: February 19, 2019, 05:35:33 PM »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if an actuary calculated that Trump has a better chance of dying before 2024 than Bernie does.
Scrumtrulescent
Rookie

« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2019, 06:04:25 PM by Scrumtrulescent »

I can't wait to never have to here about Bernie Sanders ever again. It will be a blessing!

When he leaves office in 2029, sure.

As much as I love Bernie, some of y'all are getting a bit ahead of yourselves here. he literally just announced he's running, let's not pretend he's a shoo-in to win the nomination, let alone the general election.

Let's also not pretend that he's a shoo-in to have a disastrous campaign to where he gets laughed out of the race before Iowa. He literally just announced he's running and he's already Atlas Enemy #1
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2019, 06:07:47 PM »

Stealing the spotlight from women, minority, and younger candidates for president? Of course Sanders would. No wonder his supporters are so white and male.

They can't handle the spotlight being placed on bright liberal leaders like Kamala Harris, so they decide to attack her instead of offering substantial reasoning for supporting Sanders. Somehow it's always the minority candidates and not the white men that get the blunt of the blame from that cult.
You have a picture of Kamala Harris as Wonder Woman in your signature.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2019, 06:10:46 PM »

Bernie is on TYT now, refusing to "disparage" the other candidates for being fake fair weather progressives on the major issues. This is part of the reason Bernie lost to Clinton and why he will lose again. Being Mr. Nice Guy doesn't work. If you won't call your opponents out for what they are the voters certainly aren't going to realize it on their own.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2019, 06:15:24 PM »

Wow, I didn’t think it was possible for Atlas Democrats to hate someone more than Trump, and it’s someone who caucuses with the Democrats to boot!

Criticizing Sanders is fair game, and he’ll have to respond to any criticism, but this board acts as though he endorsed Trump, has negative favorables among Democrats, and is a Russia shill who called for ending voting rights for women and minorities. Love him or hate him, he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with in the primary and the general. He’s by no means inevitable, but underestimate him at your own peril. I hope those who at least claim to be Democrats who are reacting negatively to him will at least get behind him if he’s the nominee, otherwise you have no place complaining about “Bernie Bros” (especially since most of his supporters voted for Hillary in 2016.)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2019, 06:18:53 PM »

Klobuchar, Harris can beat Trump, and are beloved Democrats amd more likeable than Clinton.

Also, Sanders agrees with Warren, so you have a dual candidacy
Joey1996

« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »

Bernie raised 1 million dollars in 3.5 hours......
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2019, 06:41:44 PM »

Its up to $3.3 million now and theres still 6 hours

Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #568 on: February 19, 2019, 06:49:55 PM »

But Atlas told me Harris was more electable than Bernie
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #569 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »

The Bernie Bros must be digging deep into their beer money.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #570 on: February 19, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »

Harris v Sanders is going to be ugly ugly ugly.

Just look at how TYT/Secular Talk have already gone after her.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #571 on: February 19, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »

Money doesn't mean a candidate is electable because plenty of well funded candidates have lost races.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #572 on: February 19, 2019, 07:15:37 PM »

Money doesn't mean a candidate is electable because plenty of well funded candidates have lost races.

He forgot to remind his supporters that there’s no refunds.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #573 on: February 19, 2019, 07:31:24 PM »

Harris v Sanders is going to be ugly ugly ugly.

Just look at how TYT/Secular Talk have already gone after her.

Sanders versus anyone seems to always be ugly. That's why I am now dreading this primary season when I honestly wasn't before.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #574 on: February 19, 2019, 07:46:32 PM »

I'm tempted to say that all the other candidates should drop out and let Sanders have the nomination just so his supporters will shut up. That way if he did lose it would put to rest the argument that he is invincible. Of course knowing him, Sanders 2032 is probably already in the works...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies