Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:21:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 127957 times)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:24:37 PM »

IF this is true, he'd immediately be my first or second choice (I want to see how Warren runs.) If he's in good health, the age argument doesn't hold much water, and even so, no one seems to level that criticism against Biden, and it's not like Trump is much younger than him. I would hope that he'd at least move the field to the left, which will be necessary to get the base out. While I think most Democrats could potentially win MI/PA/WI (if they run a good campaign), I think that Sanders would have among the best chance of anyone to win them. And he's about as likely to lose CO and VA as Trump is to lose OH, lol.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »

Not surprised to see that Bernie derangement syndrome is alive and well, and many of the same people who complained about Hillary being held to an unrealistic standard hold Bernie to a similarly unrealistic standard. He's not a saint, and there are votes and statements of his worthy of criticism. (While I get what he's saying about white voters being "uncomfortable" with black candidates, i.e. xenophobia and racism are not the same thing, I think he could've used better wording, which is a common issue for him.)

However, the attacks on him "not being a Democrat", not doing "enough" for Hillary in 2016, being too old, being too "soft" on guns and/or Russia, and the mere fact that some DINOcrats in states like KY, OK, and WV voted for him come across as nothing more than people holding a grudge on him from 2016 for committing the act of domestic terrorism known as challenging Hillary to a primary, and continue to blame him for her loss, when he's one of the last people who should be blamed.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »

Not surprised to see that Bernie derangement syndrome is alive and well, and many of the same people who complained about Hillary being held to an unrealistic standard hold Bernie to a similarly unrealistic standard. He's not a saint, and there are votes and statements of his worthy of criticism. (While I get what he's saying about white voters being "uncomfortable" with black candidates, i.e. xenophobia and racism are not the same thing, I think he could've used better wording, which is a common issue for him.)

However, the attacks on him "not being a Democrat", not doing "enough" for Hillary in 2016, being too old, being too "soft" on guns and/or Russia, and the mere fact that some DINOcrats in states like KY, OK, and WV voted for him come across as nothing more than people holding a grudge on him from 2016 for committing the act of domestic terrorism known as challenging Hillary to a primary, and continue to blame him for her loss, when he's one of the last people who should be blamed.

I know it probably feels easier for you to just ignore the substance of the Sanders criticisms and pretend it's all petty Clinton supporters holding a grudge, but just try for a moment to imagine we're speaking in good faith.  The Democratic Party is important.  If you want to see political and social progress in this country, it's going to happen through the Democratic Party.  Recognizing this fact is why I've invested so much of my own time, money, and energy in supporting the party and its candidates, why I've run for local office as a Democrat myself.  When Sanders claims to be committed to progressive, liberal values while at the same time rejecting the only political organization that can realize those values--well, like I said, as a proud Democrat I feel personally insulted.

I know that the stereotypical Sanders supporter might be a college kid with no previous investment in politics, but some of us have been involved with the Democratic Party for a while. I've seen plenty of people "loyal to the Democratic Party" fail to deliver on the promise of a progressive agenda time and time again, despite promises to voters. At least Sanders has (for the most part) the voting record to back up the idea that he's committed to progressive values, whereas many Democrats will turn on their voters when it suits them politically. I'm tired of the insistence that we can't run people because they're too far left, and then the more "electable" Democrat loses anyway. I'm also tired of seeing Republican-lite candidates get lauded as heroes.

Isn't it more important that he caucuses with the Democrats, doesn't fail the Democrats when they need him, and always endorses the Democratic candidate than it is that he simply isn't a registered Democrat? Would Jim Webb, who is a registered Democrat, but rejects most progressive principles and didn't even support Clinton, be preferable?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 05:31:12 PM »

I know that the stereotypical Sanders supporter might be a college kid with no previous investment in politics, but some of us have been involved with the Democratic Party for a while. I've seen plenty of people "loyal to the Democratic Party" fail to deliver on the promise of a progressive agenda time and time again, despite promises to voters. At least Sanders has (for the most part) the voting record to back up the idea that he's committed to progressive values, whereas many Democrats will turn on their voters when it suits them politically. I'm tired of the insistence that we can't run people because they're too far left, and then the more "electable" Democrat loses anyway. I'm also tired of seeing Republican-lite candidates get lauded as heroes.

Isn't it more important that he caucuses with the Democrats, doesn't fail the Democrats when they need him, and always endorses the Democratic candidate than it is that he simply isn't a registered Democrat? Would Jim Webb, who is a registered Democrat, but rejects most progressive principles and didn't even support Clinton, be preferable?

These kinds of comments frustrate me so much.  Part of me is genuinely sympathetic to what you're saying.  I too wish we lived in a world where the morally pure could just speak truth to power and then utopia descend from on high.  But politics is not a morality play!  Does every Democratic politician remain steadfast, loyal, and true to progressive principles at all times?  Of course not.  Good politicians are necessarily opportunists and compromisers--that's how politics works.  And yet, despite all the inconstancy and double-dealing of individual politicians, despite the constant compromises and set-backs, the party as a whole has been dragging this country ever leftward for the last 125 years.  We're not constantly being betrayed--progress is just really, really hard and tedious work.  There's a Max Weber quote I'm sure you've heard before:  "Politics is a strong and slow boring of hard boards.  It takes both passion and perspective."  And it's true--politics is strong, and slow, and boring.  The party faithful have the perspective to see that; the Bernie faithful have all of the passion but none of the perspective.

Anyway, I'm glad Sanders caucuses and votes with Democrats--that's certainly preferable to the alternative.  I just wish he, and his devotees, would recognize that the Democratic Party is not the enemy.  It's home.

I never said that the Democratic Party is the enemy. It'd be hard to explain my voting history if I actually believed that. I'm saying that ideology means more to me than simply whether or not someone is a registered Democrat. I get that no politician is perfect. Bernie isn't perfect, and I get that they're all going to be a bit opportunist at times. I know that politics is slow-moving at times, and real progress takes time, but I at least want a nominee who will make a concerted effort to move the needle, won't go back on their promises when push comes to shove, and won't back down at the first sign of push-back in the name of "compromise." And while progress has been made on some fronts recently, in the age of Trump, the Overton Window has been stampeding to the right.

Now, if someone like Gillibrand won the nomination, would I vote for her? Absolutely. Especially with Trump on the ballot, I wouldn't have to think twice about that. However, the fact that she's clearly positioning herself to the left despite her history suggesting that she has not been anywhere near as progressive as she's portraying herself certainly rubs me the wrong way, and in a primary, I'll certainly go for Warren or Sanders over her.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 06:51:49 PM »

Biden (born 1942) is so underrated by this forum. Look at his polling numbers! He's our best guy to beat Trump, and it doesn't matter what he might have said or done previously. If you criticize him or any candidate like Harris, you're hurting the Democrats' chances of winning and helping Trump/Russia! And people who say that they might not support certain Democratic candidates in the GE are the worst!

Sanders (born 1941) is way too old and so overrated! I don't care what his polling numbers say, that's just name recognition, and he'll crash and burn and fall 30% in the polls once Republicans say "sociuhlist!" and snap their fingers. He also didn't kiss Hillary's feet during the 2016 primary (he had the audacity to run against her!!! And then didn't drop out instantly), so it's HIS fault she lost! I'll never vote for him in a GE, and he's not even a Democrat, so why doesn't he run as an Independent? (Of course, I'd hate him even more if he did that, so forget I said that!)

No inconsistencies here Smiley
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 05:20:42 PM »

Wow, I didn’t think it was possible for Atlas Democrats to hate someone more than Trump, and it’s someone who caucuses with the Democrats to boot!

Criticizing Sanders is fair game, and he’ll have to respond to any criticism, but this board acts as though he endorsed Trump, has negative favorables among Democrats, and is a Russia shill who called for ending voting rights for women and minorities. Love him or hate him, he’s going to be a force to be reckoned with in the primary and the general. He’s by no means inevitable, but underestimate him at your own peril. I hope those who at least claim to be Democrats who are reacting negatively to him will at least get behind him if he’s the nominee, otherwise you have no place complaining about “Bernie Bros” (especially since most of his supporters voted for Hillary in 2016.)
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 08:38:49 PM »

It is only 12 hours & 4M has been crossed now. This is a record & far higher than Harris fundraising which got so much attention.  Probably higher than all other candidates combined.

Also Leahy & Welch both endorse Bernie Sanders.

Leahy endorsed Clinton in 2016, didn't he?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 10:11:08 PM »

DTC's Grandma/Timmy 2020
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »

The reality is that there are many Democrats who would consider voting for Sanders, but for whom he’s possibly not their first choice. It’s just that the small minority of his supporters who think he’s perfect and the “Democrats” who think he’s the antichrist who are the most vocal and get the most attention. Outside of US Election Atlas Forum dot org, a lot of Democrats have more generally but not overwhelmingly positive views of him.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 07:30:33 PM »

Sanders: Communist tankie Russia shill -> Neoliberal hawk
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 01:39:04 PM »

Interesting how whenever Sanders addresses criticism that he faces (and I'm not saying that he shouldn't face scrutiny; he should), it's never "enough." In his first week, he's admitted some of the mistakes that he made during his campaign four years ago, and is already starting to take a different tone, but his detractors seem to think that we should forgive any mistakes that other candidates made in the past, but that anything Sanders did wrong is unforgivable.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 03:16:04 PM »

Interesting how whenever Sanders addresses criticism that he faces (and I'm not saying that he shouldn't face scrutiny; he should), it's never "enough." In his first week, he's admitted some of the mistakes that he made during his campaign four years ago, and is already starting to take a different tone, but his detractors seem to think that we should forgive any mistakes that other candidates made in the past, but that anything Sanders did wrong is unforgivable.

lmao his is true of every mistake that every politician above county commissioner makes and is not even close to a uniquely Sanders phenomenon

To an extent, yes, but among "Democrats" who don't like Sanders, they have a very different standard for his previous actions and statements than other Democrats.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »

lmao his is true of every mistake that every politician above county commissioner makes and is not even close to a uniquely Sanders phenomenon

To an extent, yes, but among "Democrats" who don't like Sanders, they have a very different standard for his previous actions and statements than other Democrats.

When you get truly competitive contests of any kind, this behavior is inevitable. Voter choice involves a lot of confirmation bias and double standards. It is/was true for Bernie, Kamala, Beto, Clinton, Trump, Romney, and countless statewide office seekers. Framing it as a problem that Bernie exclusively is facing reeks of persecution complex.

The fact is, some candidates get more vitriol than others, even if every candidate is subject to some attacks. In some cases, the candidates themselves attack their opponents and bring it on themselves (i.e. someone like Trump.) In other cases, it is the case of candidates rubbing certain voters the wrong way for whatever reason, and said voters coming up with literally any reason to criticize that candidate. I'll admit that some posters here do that to Harris, and I've pointed that out several times, so I'll do the same for Sanders.

Now, some of this might be that people have stronger opinions of Sanders since he's been in the spotlight for longer, and a different candidate will get the same level of vitriol once the primary season gets going, but either way, I never said that Sanders was the only one who's ever faced unfair attacks. I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of people who claim that attacks against Clinton, Harris, Beto, etc. from Democrats are unfair, divisive, and help Trump, and then launch these same kinds of attacks against Sanders.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 10:35:29 PM »

Harry Enten thinks he has a real chance? Congrats, Democratic nominee Bernie Sanders!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 01:36:51 PM »

Obviously Sanders is DOA though, and once people hear about one line he wrote in an essay 47 years ago, he'll lose 80% of his support. Roll Eyes Considering that he pretty much went in all for IA and NH early on last time around, it's clear that he's making some different tactical decisions this time around, and is trying to appeal to a wider base of voters. Whether or not he's successful in doing so is a different story and yet to be seen, but barring some enormous unforeseen event, he's not getting some 7th place showing in Iowa. He's a contender, whether Atlas posters like him/want to admit it or not.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 02:34:23 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2019, 02:40:31 PM by Excessively Caffeinated Coastal Elitist for Schultz »

Obviously Sanders is DOA though, and once people hear about one line he wrote in an essay 47 years ago, he'll lose 80% of his support. Roll Eyes Considering that he pretty much went in all for IA and NH early on last time around, it's clear that he's making some different tactical decisions this time around, and is trying to appeal to a wider base of voters. Whether or not he's successful in doing so is a different story and yet to be seen, but barring some enormous unforeseen event, he's not getting some 7th place showing in Iowa. He's a contender, whether Atlas posters like him/want to admit it or not.
Yeah he is and has every right to run. But his hardcore zealots ironically remind me of Hillary's from 2016. Bernie deserves the nomination, and anyone who stands in his way must be destroyed, general election be damned.

Of course he's not entitled the nomination, and has to make his case. I'll accept the results of the Democratic primaries, I'm just saying that he's got a very real chance of winning.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »

You’re always over exaggerating. Nobody has said anything as absurd as Sanders finishing 7th in Iowa. Most people acknowledge that the primary will probably whittle down to him vs. Someone Else. What is being rebuffed is the notion that he has the nomination sewn up, the nomination was really his last time and he will finally win now that the big, bad, behemoth witch Hillary Clinton isn’t conspiring against him. Which is fantasy in and of itself.

I'm hardly the only one who exaggerates, and I'm not exaggerating that much. There are several posters here who think that he's DOA. I've only seen one poster argue that he has the nomination "sewn up", and only one other poster who argues that Clinton literally stole the nomination. Believe it or not, most people with a positive opinion of Sanders don't fit the "BernieBro" narrative.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 08:23:00 PM »

Twitter really is a cesspool.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2019, 09:17:19 PM »

Here's a live stream of his Chicago rally: https://abc7chicago.com/politics/watch-live-bernie-sanders-holds-campaign-rally-at-navy-pier/5165284/

Does anyone know when the next big rally held by any presidential candidate?

I know that Sanders will be holding three more in Iowa on March 7th-9th.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 10:48:49 PM »

Sanders spent a good amount of time talking specifically about racism in his speech tonight. That's not to say that people shouldn't put pressure on him to continue doing so or that he shouldn't be scrutinized; he should be. It is clear, however, that he is at least aware that this has been a weakness of his and is making an effort to talk about race and not merely view inequality through an economic lens. I hope that he'll continue working on this, and not merely pay lip service to it from here on it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »

Imagine spending your free time combing Twitter for dirt on Sanders and then posting it to US Election Atlas Dot Org.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »

That clip is less than a minute of an interview that was a half-hour long, FYI. Plenty of the interview went fine, and he definitely seemed more comfortable in most of the interview than in those particular 40 seconds.

Anyway, Sanders doesn't seem to be taking much rest after 5 rallies. He'll have another 3 in the next four days. Two tomorrow in NH, and one in SC on the 14th (good to see that he's not going to be writing off SC this time.) Even those who don't like him have to admit, it's impressive that a 77 year-old can do this many rallies in such a short period of time.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 02:36:18 PM »

Can we please stop demagoging sanders. I like the guy and all (not supporting in the primary) but stuff like this is a bit much

This is Atlas, so there are only two options. Sanders is either God or Satan.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 10:29:14 PM »

Sad that these "Democrats" spend literally all of their free time (and apparently they have a lot of it) Tweeting about Sanders and some "disqualifying" word he said decades ago, all under the guise of "scrutiny" (I'm sure they hold every Democratic candidate to that level of scrutiny.) I would say that their attacks on "Bernie Bros" are the pot calling the kettle black, but they're honestly even more pathetic than even the most obnoxious Sanders supporters I've met, never mind the majority of Sanders supporters.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 06:53:34 PM »

Well, looks like Nina Turner might be an Atlas user, since she literally used the words "freedom fighter" to describe Sanders.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies