Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:12:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 127834 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« on: January 25, 2019, 08:07:20 PM »

Not even close.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 08:07:59 PM »

Good.  I can't wait to see his campaign crash and burn.

Running for President at 77 is completely ridiculous.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:09:45 PM »

Why can't Bernie just go away? He's not even a Democrat.

Anyways, I have still never heard an explanation as to why progressives want an 80+ year old to be President?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 08:41:51 PM »

Anyways, I have still never heard an explanation as to why progressives want an 80+ year old to be President?

Because age is just a number and Bernie seems to be in good health. He just needs to pick a competent VP.

The whole Bernie is not a Democrat line comes off as really hacky. It’s just a label. There are legitimate criticisms of Bernie but that isn’t one of them.
It's not just a "label". He's not a Democrat. He's running in the DEMOCRATIC primary.

Anyways, Bernie's campaign will fail...again.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 09:04:24 PM »

Because age is just a number and Bernie seems to be in good health. He just needs to pick a competent VP.

The whole Bernie is not a Democrat line comes off as really hacky. It’s just a label. There are legitimate criticisms of Bernie but that isn’t one of them.
It's not just a "label". He's not a Democrat. He's running in the DEMOCRATIC primary.

That has no affect on actual policy though. It’s not like he’s some right winger who isn’t aligned with any faction of the party.
If Bernie runs then he'll split the progressive vote with Warren, thus making it even easier for Kamala to get the nomination.

That would be 100% fine with me. I lean progressive overall and I don't hate Bernie but he's too old and he missed his chance in 2016.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:14:34 PM »

He's literally a member of Senate Democratic leadership and has caucused with Democrats since he came to congres, please drop this lazy smear.

He's literally a member of Senate Democratic leadership and has caucused with Democrats since he came to congres, please drop this lazy smear.
So why can't he register himself as a Democrat?

Also, do you guys believe that Joe Lieberman is a Democrat?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »

Also, do you guys believe that Joe Lieberman is a Democrat?

Who is more closely aligned with the current Democratic Party, Bernie Sanders or Joe Lieberman?
No, you can't respond to my questions with a question. Answer my questions first.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »

Vermont doesn't have party registration, so if that is your standard then there are no Democrats in Vermont.

The entire Vermont Democratic party will have to be purged and disbanded, and the state given over to Republicans, since there are no Democrats.

Also there are no Democrats in any other states such as Texas and Ohio. And over in Virginia, the Democratic VP nominee of 2016, Tim Kaine, is not a Democrat.

Barack Obama was also not a Democrat at the time he ran for the Presidency, though now I suppose he is a DC resident, so he has probably now joined the Democratic party now that his Presidency is over.
Most of what you said is nonsensical garbage.

Anyways, Bernie himself says that he is not a Democrat. VIDEO PROOF HERE: https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/sanders-i-don-t-consider-myself-a-democrat-924041283893

Why should the DEMOCRATIC Party nominate someone who is NOT a Democrat and has continuously said that he doesn't consider himself a Democrat?

Why should he receive the DEMOCRATIC Party's nomination over actual DEMOCRATS?

He can advocate for the Democratic Party to move the left on economic issues but I don't believe he should run for President and especially not as a Democrat. He's just using the party for political expediency and convenience.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »

No amount of excuses will change the fact that Bernie Sanders in not a Democrat and should not get the Democratic Party's nomination.

Can you just imagine if the Republicans nominated an right wing independent who didn't consider themselves to be a Republican for President? That would be ridiculous and we would laugh a them.

However, just because Bernie is a "progressive champion" (show me his record though), this is supposedly OK with some Democrats.

Anyways, Bernie might not be able to run in the Democratic primary because the DNC changed the rules last year and said that you have to be an actual Democrat to run in the primary. Imagine that.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »

Bernie is a liar.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 11:04:19 AM »

No amount of excuses will change the fact that Bernie Sanders in not a Democrat and should not get the Democratic Party's nomination.

Can you just imagine if the Republicans nominated an right wing independent who didn't consider themselves to be a Republican for President? That would be ridiculous and we would laugh a them.

However, just because Bernie is a "progressive champion" (show me his record though), this is supposedly OK with some Democrats.

Anyways, Bernie might not be able to run in the Democratic primary because the DNC changed the rules last year and said that you have to be an actual Democrat to run in the primary. Imagine that.

You really are a spiteful human being aren't you?

If you take that attitude that he's forbidden from entering a primary, then that's a lot of people that are gonna stay home if Harri, Biden or Booker get nominated.
Spiteful? How?

He's not a Democrat so why should he get the DEMOCRATIC Party's nomination?

Maybe we should make it that only registered Democrats can vote for the Democratic candidate during the general election,
I'm sure New Frontier would approve of that.
That makes no sense. You know the difference between a primary and general election. Also, my disapproval (not hate) of Bernie isn't just because he's not a Democrat.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 11:07:03 AM »

If Kamala Harris or Beto O'Rourke or Amy Klobuchar win the nomination, will Bernie supporters vote for them in the general election?

Not if you keep shouting "You'RE NoT DEmOcrAtS" at them.
That has nothing to do with it. Most Bernie supporters will say that they are "NEOLIBERAL CORPORATE SHILLS!!!" and "Bought and paid by Wall Street" and "NEOCON WARMONGERS!!!!".
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 11:14:56 AM »

If Kamala Harris or Beto O'Rourke or Amy Klobuchar win the nomination, will Bernie supporters vote for them in the general election?

Not if you keep shouting "You'RE NoT DEmOcrAtS" at them.
That has nothing to do with it. Most Bernie supporters will say that they are "NEOLIBERAL CORPORATE SHILLS!!!" and "Bought and paid by Wall Street" and "NEOCON WARMONGERS!!!!".

And still come home for them at a higher rate than Hillary supporters in 2008, despite the criticisms largely being accurate.

The obsession with membership in an organization over much less trivial things like beliefs, policy, record (areas that you could reasonably criticize Sanders on from the right) reveals an infantile brain.

You act like the D next to the name is somehow important when this guy campaigns for Democrats, votes with the party more often than most Democrats, has policies that are more authentically democratic than most Democrats, etc.  And really none of that matters, it's what the policies/record are, and what effect those will have on the country.
Most of this is false.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 11:18:21 AM »

Daily reminder that more Clinton '08 supporters voted McCain than Bernie supporters voted Trump.

That makes no sense. You know the difference between a primary and general election. Also, my disapproval (not hate) of Bernie isn't just because he's not a Democrat.

If we're going to be undemocratic in the primaries and stop independents from running and voting why not keep that energy during the general election?
Once again, you know the difference between a primary and a general election. Also, there are no primaries for independent candidates. We live in a FPTP system, that's the only reason why Bernie caucuses with Democrats in the Senate.

Anyways, I don't like Elizabeth Warren as a presidential candidate. I think she's a good Senator but not presidential material. However, if she won the primary, I would vote for her in the primaries because she's...a Democrat.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »

LOL, if you think that's the only thing I have on Bernie...just LOL.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 11:30:59 AM »

The funny thing is that I used to support Bernie. I wasn't eligible to vote in 2016 (I was only 17). However, I remember HATING Hillary especially because of what I read online.

I read that she was "Republican-lite", "evil", "neocon warmonger", "corporate shill", "only running because she's a woman", "think that it's her coronation", "not progressive enough", "just as bad as Trump", etc. I believed all of that and was on Bernie's side.

However, once I saw that Bernie had no chance of winning the primary and also how so many of his supporters were still bashing Hillary even after it was clear that he lost was infuriating and I left #TeamBernie and was 100% on board with HRC.

I recognized that not only was HRC a million times better than Trump but also that I was being used and duped by Russian propaganda.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 11:33:15 AM »

You really are a spiteful human being aren't you?

If you take that attitude that he's forbidden from entering a primary, then that's a lot of people that are gonna stay home if Harri, Biden or Booker get nominated.

A lot of the fanatical Sanders supporters are going to stay home anyway if he's not the nominee, except this time they can't claim that super delegates stole the nomination from him.

Which undercuts the argument if he's allowed to run.

He's actually been sitting in the Democratic caucuses in both houses longer than the Anointed Ones (Harris, Booker and O'Rourke) have. He's been running in the Democratic primaries in Vermont for a long time and he is currently a member of the Democratic Senate leadership.

For all intents and purposes, he is a Democrat.

He says he's not a Democrat, so how can you contradict his own words? He's an independent who aligns with Democrats to get committee assignments and that is it.

Daily reminder that more Clinton '08 supporters voted McCain than Bernie supporters voted Trump.

If we're going to be undemocratic in the primaries and stop independents from running and voting why not keep that energy during the general election?

A lot of states have closed primaries and there really isn't anything undemocratic about parties being selective about who can vote in their primaries. Just imagine if Republicans and conservatives decided to manipulate the open primary system to give a conservative the Democratic nomination. There is an upside to closed primaries.

That's fine, just dont be surprised if left leaning independents in those states feel jaded that they had no choice in picking who the Democratic nominee was
OK, that's been the case since...forever.

Also, what about right wing independents and the GOP?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »

Can Bernie supporters explain these for me? Especially those who don't like Kamala Harris.

Also, why hasn't Bernie released his most of his tax returns? Why did he vote against Russian sanctions (Magnitsky Act)? Why did he hire someone with connections to Paul Manafort? (Tad Devine)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 03:51:04 PM »

Not surprised to see that Bernie derangement syndrome is alive and well, and many of the same people who complained about Hillary being held to an unrealistic standard hold Bernie to a similarly unrealistic standard. He's not a saint, and there are votes and statements of his worthy of criticism. (While I get what he's saying about white voters being "uncomfortable" with black candidates, i.e. xenophobia and racism are not the same thing, I think he could've used better wording, which is a common issue for him.)

However, the attacks on him "not being a Democrat", not doing "enough" for Hillary in 2016, being too old, being too "soft" on guns and/or Russia, and the mere fact that some DINOcrats in states like KY, OK, and WV voted for him come across as nothing more than people holding a grudge on him from 2016 for committing the act of domestic terrorism known as challenging Hillary to a primary, and continue to blame him for her loss, when he's one of the last people who should be blamed.

I know it probably feels easier for you to just ignore the substance of the Sanders criticisms and pretend it's all petty Clinton supporters holding a grudge, but just try for a moment to imagine we're speaking in good faith.  The Democratic Party is important.  If you want to see political and social progress in this country, it's going to happen through the Democratic Party.  Recognizing this fact is why I've invested so much of my own time, money, and energy in supporting the party and its candidates, why I've run for local office as a Democrat myself.  When Sanders claims to be committed to progressive, liberal values while at the same time rejecting the only political organization that can realize those values--well, like I said, as a proud Democrat I feel personally insulted.
This is exactly how I feel.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »

According to this website, every other declared major Democratic is more progressive than Bernie Sanders.

Harris, Warren & Gillibrand all have a more progressive record than Bernie.

SOURCE: https://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?house=senate
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 06:08:49 PM »

It's pretty clear Sanders voters didn't cost Clinton the 2016 election, no matter which numbers you look at. Keep in mind more people voted in the GOP primaries in 2016 than the Democratic primaries nationwide, so the GOP defectors are more in number.

There's also this to consider:

Nearly all Sanders-Trump voters were Obama disapprovers. That suggests that many Sanders-Trump voters were registered Dems who were protest voting in closed primaries. We can see this in places like the Florida Panhandle (where Dems have registration advantages in VERY Republican counties), West Virginia, the coalfields of Kentucky, etc. where Bernie did well in uniformly GOP counties with large Dem registration advantages thanks to Dem ancestry.

How do we know this is because of that though? Consider 2008 primary defectors:

2008 primary defectors were less likely to happen in the open primary states than closed primary states. This makes sense because people who switched parties in open primary states will vote in the  party they now prefer's primary, while they won't in closed primary states because most people never change their registration. That's also why Orange County, CA (Clinton +9 county entirely represented by Democrats in Congress) still has a solid R registration advantage.

TL:DR: No, Bernie-Trump voters did not cost Clinton at all, because the vast majority of them were going to vote Trump even if Bernie was the nominee anyway.
Sanders supporters who voted for Stein or Johnson in Michigan, Wisconsin & Pennsylvania cost Hillary the election.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2019, 10:43:33 PM »

Does no one else find the absurdity of a 79 year old man being President?
Outside of aesthetics, there is nothing wrong with having a President 79 or over. If they can do the job then I don't see how their age is a problem. Everybody complained about Pelosi age until she started doing her job.
Being Speaker is completely different from being President. This is a ridiculous comparison.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2019, 10:44:07 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2019, 10:48:24 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 10:54:23 PM »

Weird response? I'm laugh at the nonsense that you're spewing. Bernie is going nowhere expect to his home to take a nap.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies