More Dominant Party: National Democrats in 1936 or California Democrats now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:22:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  More Dominant Party: National Democrats in 1936 or California Democrats now
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: More Dominant Party
National Democrats in 1936

California Democrats Now

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: More Dominant Party: National Democrats in 1936 or California Democrats now  (Read 821 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2019, 01:01:28 AM »

I would actually say the National Democratic Party in 1936 because these were the results of the 1936 Election compared to 2018 California Elections

1936 Election Results:

PV of Presidential Result: FDR 60.8% , Landon 36.5% and the two other main third parties were left wing  as well

% of House Seats : Democrats 76.78%(334 Seats), Republicans 20.23%(88 Seats) and the other two third parties were left wing parties

% of Senate Seats: Democrats 77.08%(74 Seats) , Republicans 17.71%(17 Seats) and the other two parties were left wing as well

California Now:

Gubernatorial Race: Gavin Newsom 61.9% , John Cox 38.1%

% of Seats in Assembly: Democrats 76.25%(61 Seats), Republicans 23.75%(19 seats)

% of Senate Seats: Democrats 73.68%(28 Seats) , Republicans 26.32%(10 Seats)

But the numbers are stunningly similar
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 01:19:35 AM »

California.

I could be wrong, but unless something dramatic happens, Democratic dominance in this state is probably going to last longer than it did nationally after 1936. It took 10 years for the GOP to take back both houses of Congress and 16 to retake the presidency after that point and I could very easily see CA Dems breaking that streak.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 01:33:25 AM »

California.

I could be wrong, but unless something dramatic happens, Democratic dominance in this state is probably going to last longer than it did nationally after 1936. It took 10 years for the GOP to take back both houses of Congress and 16 to retake the presidency after that point and I could very easily see CA Dems breaking that streak.

Well you could argue 1952 and 1956 was an aberration due to the GOP nominating a popular war hero , because really other than Eisenhower the GOP was defeated in election after election in almost every election possible until 1968.

The GOP run form 1966-2010 at the Gubernatorial Level will probably be broken but still wont be easy for the  Dems to break as well as the Republicans controlled the CA Gubernatorial Office for a period of 31/44 years . Democrats run from 1932-1968 will be even more difficult to break as I could see this happen which could make it difficult

GOP could take back the gubernatorial mansion in 2026 if a Dem President has been in the WH for 6 years up to that point, the Dem Party becomes Anti Big Tech(I could see this happen ) and the CA GOP becomes like the MA GOP (with no primaries this could happen too). Then that Charlie Baker is popular that he is Governor for 8 years then it flips to Dems for 8 more years than another Charlie Baker type is governor for 8 years.

The Democratic Dominance from 1932-1968 will be very difficult for any major state party to replicate

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 12:05:27 PM »

California.

Let us remember that  several states in 1936 did not have free and fair elections. I have mocked such states as "Kukluxistan", states in which there was no effective Republican Party, states in which elections were as meaningless as those in the Third Reich or the Soviet Union at the time.

California still has free and fair elections all over the state. There is always the possibility that a Republican can win a district in which a Democrat misbehaves badly.  Some of the collapse of the GOP relates to Republicans such as Dana Donaldovich Rohrabacher... well, you know.   
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 06:08:46 PM »

California.

Let us remember that  several states in 1936 did not have free and fair elections. I have mocked such states as "Kukluxistan", states in which there was no effective Republican Party, states in which elections were as meaningless as those in the Third Reich or the Soviet Union at the time.

California still has free and fair elections all over the state. There is always the possibility that a Republican can win a district in which a Democrat misbehaves badly.  Some of the collapse of the GOP relates to Republicans such as Dana Donaldovich Rohrabacher... well, you know.   
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 06:12:34 PM »

California.

Well you could argue 1952 and 1956 was an aberration due to the GOP nominating a popular war hero , because really other than Eisenhower the GOP was defeated in election after election in almost every election possible until 1968.

The GOP run form 1966-2010 at the Gubernatorial Level will probably be broken but still wont be easy for the  Dems to break as well as the Republicans controlled the CA Gubernatorial Office for a period of 31/44 years . Democrats run from 1932-1968 will be even more difficult to break as I could see this happen which could make it difficult

GOP could take back the gubernatorial mansion in 2026 if a Dem President has been in the WH for 6 years up to that point, the Dem Party becomes Anti Big Tech(I could see this happen ) and the CA GOP becomes like the MA GOP (with no primaries this could happen too). Then that Charlie Baker is popular that he is Governor for 8 years then it flips to Dems for 8 more years than another Charlie Baker type is governor for 8 years.

The Democratic Dominance from 1932-1968 will be very difficult for any major state party to replicate

1948 was actually really close in the EC and Democrats didn't control enough state delegations to reelect Truman in the House if there was no majority.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 07:17:18 PM »

Regardless, California was actually more left-wing back then it is today because there were still lots of Hiram Johnson Republicans in the legislature.
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 07:23:27 PM »

California.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies