2008: Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/whoever vs John McCain (R-AZ)/Herman Cain (R-GA)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:09:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/whoever vs John McCain (R-AZ)/Herman Cain (R-GA)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/whoever vs John McCain (R-AZ)/Herman Cain (R-GA)  (Read 559 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »

discuss with maps
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »

MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 02:32:05 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2019, 03:41:01 PM by MATTROSE94 »

Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Governor Phil Bredesen (D-TN): 379 Electoral Votes* (53%)
Senator John McCain (R-AZ)/Businessman Herman Cain (R-GA): 159 Electoral Votes (45%)
Others: 0 Electoral Votes (2%)

*I was a bit dicey about Florida, Ohio, and Iowa. It is possible that all three states could have went to John McCain, but I gave them to Hillary Clinton by a narrow margin.

Overall, Hillary Clinton would have won by a comfortable margin in this scenario, albeit with a much different victory coalition than Barack Obama (I can see her doing about 5 points worse that Obama with the African-American vote, but about 5 points better with the white vote on the other hand).

My gut feeling is that Clinton would have had a more successful first year in office that Obama, which would have possibly been enough for the Democrats to hold onto the House of Representatives in 2010 and prevent the Tea Party movement from gaining as much strength as of did IRL. Clinton is also likely re-elected in 2012 by a decent margin as well.

Another interesting thing to note is that Donald Trump would have likely remained a liberal Democrat with Hillary Clinton as President due to the fact that he was close friends with the Clinton family until 2015 and also because the motivating factor that convinced him to become a fascist, neoconservative populist (Barack Obama as President) would not have occurred.
JG

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »

Senator Hillary Clinton (D-NY)/Governor Phil Bredesen (D-TN): 379 Electoral Votes* (53%)
Senator John McCain (R-AZ)/Businessman Herman Cain (R-GA): 159 Electoral Votes (45%)

*I was a bit dicey about Florida, Ohio, and Iowa. It is possible that all three states could have went to John McCain, but I gave them to Hillary Clinton by a narrow margin.

Overall, Hillary Clinton would have won by a comfortable margin in this scenario, albeit with a much different victory coalition than Barack Obama (I can see her doing about 5 points worse that Obama with the African-American vote, but about 5 points better with the white vote on the other hand).

My gut feeling is that Clinton would have had a more successful first year in office that Obama, which would have possibly been enough for the Democrats to hold onto the House of Representatives in 2010 and prevent the Tea Party movement from gaining as much strength as of did IRL. Clinton is also likely re-elected in 2012 by a decent margin as well.

Another interesting thing to note is that Donald Trump would have likely remained a liberal Democrat with Hillary Clinton as President due to the fact that he was close friends with the Clinton family until 2015 and also because the motivating factor that convinced him to become a fascist, neoconservative populist (Barack Obama as President) would not have occurred.

If Clinton is winning Arkansas, Lousiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia, how can Iowa and Ohio be even remotely close?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »

If Clinton is winning Arkansas, Lousiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia, how can Iowa and Ohio be even remotely close?
In several polls released shortly before she dropped out of the Democratic Primary race, Hillary Clinton was trailing John McCain by roughly 5-11% in Iowa and by 4-7% in Ohio, but was either leading McCain or narrowly trailing him in Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia. I think that Clinton would have ended up closing the gap considerably in Ohio and Iowa by the time Election Day approach, but it is still likely that both states would have remained very close due to the fact that Clinton was not a great fit for either. I also feel that having Phil Bredesen as her running mate would have helped Clinton immensely in Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies