Might Harris' "Tough on Crime" stance be to her advantage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:01:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Might Harris' "Tough on Crime" stance be to her advantage?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Might Harris' "Tough on Crime" stance be to her advantage?  (Read 641 times)
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 29, 2019, 12:55:43 PM »

Yeah, it might piss off some SJW's, but it shows she's willing to stick the finger on the regressive left and show some independence. This is her built-in Sista Souljah. I'm glad she proved me wrong and isn't a stooge of the pro-crime/anti-cop/BLM/trans rights movement.  I might vote for her to live in a safer world (let's face it, Gillibrand, Booker, and Biden are just as bad in terms of economics) if Bernie/Warren are out of the running.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:02:00 PM »

It will probably appeal to the midwestern Obama-Trump voters, so if her strategy is to recreate the 2012 map, its probably a good move. But it will surely hurt her in the primary.
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 01:02:56 PM »

It will probably appeal to the midwestern Obama-Trump voters, so if her strategy is to recreate the 2012 map, its probably a good move. But it will surely hurt her in the primary.
I don't think so. If you see her cult members here, they suddenly are tough on crime now too. LMAO. She can't change course now, as she'll risk Romney-ing herself. 
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »

...and further more, it might bring otherwise swing voters to her side, especially those skittish about the Party's disturbing trend toward appeasement of crime. Who's gonna make sure the parents of all these hoodlums pay for letting them ditch school?  Who's gonna keep us from having to pay for someone randomly deciding they are female? #WokeQueen Kamala will. 
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 01:40:52 PM »

It will help her with suburban white women but it won't help her win wwc voters. They already think she compared ICE to the KKK, so to them she's still an "open borders globalist"
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »

It will help her with suburban white women but it won't help her win wwc voters. They already think she compared ICE to the KKK, so to them she's still an "open borders globalist"
On the contrary, this might rehabilitate the Dem image. 
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 07:58:02 PM »

It definitely deprives Trump of one of his biggest attacks against Democrats. That said it's going to be a bit of a liability in the primaries. Though in her town hall, she did a pretty good on the defense of alleviating any concerns primary voters may have about her being too tough on crime. She seems to be able to strike a good balance of prioritizing criminal justice reform while recognizing a crime when one is actually committed.

And by the way, Trump has no credibility on this issue (he never did, but even less so now) with six of his associates being indicted and numerous of his Cabinet members resigning due to corruption, with some of them still doing their job in spite of being objectively corrupt (I'm looking at you, Zinke!).
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 03:42:34 PM »

It definitely deprives Trump of one of his biggest attacks against Democrats. That said it's going to be a bit of a liability in the primaries. Though in her town hall, she did a pretty good on the defense of alleviating any concerns primary voters may have about her being too tough on crime. She seems to be able to strike a good balance of prioritizing criminal justice reform while recognizing a crime when one is actually committed.

And by the way, Trump has no credibility on this issue (he never did, but even less so now) with six of his associates being indicted and numerous of his Cabinet members resigning due to corruption, with some of them still doing their job in spite of being objectively corrupt (I'm looking at you, Zinke!).

That's white collar crime, though. I do appreciate that Harris has some investment in locking up the street hoodlums.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »

You probably can't win a US presidential election if you are viewed as being soft on crime, so her move is smart. I'm super soft on crime myself, but recognize that certain things are needed to win elections.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 04:17:38 PM »

It's obviously to her advantage since she's going to be running against a criminal.  Seriously, if the Trump administration's corruption and looting of the public coffers isn't one of her main campaign themes, she's guilty of gross political negligence. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 04:21:51 PM »

There's being tough on crime and then there's arguing against the release of prisoners because we need their labor or because they supposedly missed a deadline to appeal their innocence. Anyways, the falling crime rates in the '90s were because of lead being banned not because of locking more people up.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 04:27:56 PM »

There's being tough on crime and then there's arguing against the release of prisoners because we need their labor or because they supposedly missed a deadline to appeal their innocence. Anyways, the falling crime rates in the '90s were because of lead being banned not because of locking more people up.

I see you've been reading Kevin Drum.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies