CT-GOV 2022: Why I think a CT GOPer will win
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:22:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CT-GOV 2022: Why I think a CT GOPer will win
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CT-GOV 2022: Why I think a CT GOPer will win  (Read 1436 times)
Lognog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »

I think it definitely is a serious possibility considering the dems haven't won above three points margins (including 2018 which was a D+9 year) and what has happened in VT and MA with their governors. That being said whether or not a republican can win depends on a few things. Most importantly, how good Lamont is as a governor/ how well the state economy does. I think he will govern well, but no one is optimistic about the CT economy. Secondly, how good the Republican nominee is. the CT GOP has no bench but if they can get someone with a very moderate record, possibly someone that has yet to hold office. Thirdly, is Trump reelected or not. If he is, immediately at least likely D. But if he is not and the first two factors work out for the republicans, I think it could be a repeat of 2010 expect the GOP can actually win
choclatechip45
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 08:12:26 PM »

The problem Republicans have making up that 3 point difference is a city like Stamford that they use to win prior to Malloy winning in 2010. It has become much more democratic and it one of the few places in Connecticut that is doing well economically and it's population is growing.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2019, 10:47:13 AM »

I don’t think Lamont is running for re-election. If a Democrat wins the presidency in 2020, and Susan Bysiewicz is the nominee (she’d at least start as a frontrunner for the nom), and Republicans actually pick a decent candidate (biggest if), then this is going to be a very competitive race.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »

I don’t think Lamont is running for re-election. If a Democrat wins the presidency in 2020, and Susan Bysiewicz is the nominee (she’d at least start as a frontrunner for the nom), and Republicans actually pick a decent candidate (biggest if), then this is going to be a very competitive race.

Why would Lamont not run for reelection? I don't think he will flop like Malloy. He's among the older governors, but not too old to serve another four years (he just turned 65). But Susan Bysiewicz would be a great successor in 2022 or 2026.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2019, 08:19:24 PM »

Why would Lamont not run for reelection? I don't think he will flop like Malloy. He's among the older governors, but not too old to serve another four years (he just turned 65). But Susan Bysiewicz would be a great successor in 2022 or 2026.

He could ultimately run again, but I had heard he only wanted to serve one term.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies