Massive trends to the Republicans in Eastern Kentucky displayed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:13:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Massive trends to the Republicans in Eastern Kentucky displayed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Massive trends to the Republicans in Eastern Kentucky displayed  (Read 2065 times)
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:09:09 PM »
« edited: November 26, 2019, 09:49:12 AM by #Kavanaugh For Prison »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:18:05 PM »

The coal industry has gone to sh**t while the internet has improved.  So who needs a job at the mine when you can watch right wing conspiracies all day on the Yourtubs!

Not to minimize the extent to which these people considered Trump an actual savior.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:29:57 AM »

My friend who lives in South-Central KY and hates KY with a passion says that if your car breaks down in East KY at night you'll get cannibalized by inbreds and I mean maybe he's exaggerating but if he's not I'm not sure that's a demographic any party should want to claim as one of their own lmao
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 02:05:56 AM »

My friend who lives in South-Central KY and hates KY with a passion says that if your car breaks down in East KY at night you'll get cannibalized by inbreds and I mean maybe he's exaggerating but if he's not I'm not sure that's a demographic any party should want to claim as one of their own lmao
The car or the person?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 02:20:49 AM »

It would be more helpful to see % margins, but still, definitely a striking trend.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:33:19 AM »

we been knew
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 01:20:02 PM »

It would be more helpful to see % margins, but still, definitely a striking trend.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »

Here they are (these are all 2-party vote):

Gore   00: 51.99%
Kerry  04: 50.15%
Obama  08: 42.66%
Obama  12: 32.22%
Clinton16: 23.95%
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »

One thing that might be interesting to look at is how much of this is due to generational replacement.  Obviously there were plenty of people who switched from voting D to voting R, but I wonder how much the death of the Greatest Generation voters in particular played a role here.  I don't have the link on hand, but I recall seeing that in Kentucky/Tennessee in particular, older voters were very, very Democratic into the '90s.  If we define the Greatest Generation as ending in 1927, we would expect to see a lot die off as they get into their 80's and beyond, which would be from 2004-2008 for the youngest in that cohort. 
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 04:04:36 PM »

The car or the person?

the person.

the guy telling me this is the same guy who thinks utopia is literally having the entire world covered in skyscrapers, parking lots, and mega malls though so I think he may be a little biased against rural areas in general.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 11:45:40 PM »

One thing that might be interesting to look at is how much of this is due to generational replacement.  Obviously there were plenty of people who switched from voting D to voting R, but I wonder how much the death of the Greatest Generation voters in particular played a role here.  I don't have the link on hand, but I recall seeing that in Kentucky/Tennessee in particular, older voters were very, very Democratic into the '90s.  If we define the Greatest Generation as ending in 1927, we would expect to see a lot die off as they get into their 80's and beyond, which would be from 2004-2008 for the youngest in that cohort. 

According to 2016 exit polls, Kentucky still has a reverse age gap:

18-44: Trump +32
45+: Trump +28

It's kind of U-shaped though (18-24: Trump +30, 40-49: Trump +48, 65+: Trump +24)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 11:20:47 AM »

It's kind of U-shaped though (18-24: Trump +30, 40-49: Trump +48, 65+: Trump +24)

The Greatest Generation remembered the New Deal for transmuting their hardscrabble world into one much less impoverished. The Tennessee Valley Authority brought electricity that transformed the Mountain South from a world of material poverty and technological inadequacy into one much more modern. Electricity brought jobs and improved formal education. Government was their friend, and they never forgot that.

Their children had no clue.   
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 11:39:24 AM »

The Greatest Generation remembered the New Deal for transmuting their hardscrabble world into one much less impoverished. The Tennessee Valley Authority brought electricity that transformed the Mountain South from a world of material poverty and technological inadequacy into one much more modern. Electricity brought jobs and improved formal education. Government was their friend, and they never forgot that.

*They liked being given other people's money, and their children weren't as into all that.
Epaminondas

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 09:42:14 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2019, 09:46:04 AM by Epaminondas »

*They liked being given other people's money, and their children weren't as into all that.

Isn't a wage also "someone else's money" originally?
But you must be right, their Republican children must have preferred living on the dole.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies