New Zealand political discussion thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:53:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand political discussion thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Zealand political discussion thread  (Read 30101 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: April 19, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »

After a contentious public debate Jacinda Ardern had ruled out introducing a capital gains tax. Winston Peters' opposition as well as polling showing strong public opposition to the proposed tax appear to have been major factors in the decision, as Jacinda said there was "no mandate" for a CGT (yet ruled out getting a mandate for a CGT at the next election). Simon Bridges is probably done now that his last hope for some momentum has been eliminated, but it shows a disappointing lack of courage from the government at a time when their political capital is the highest.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/112099876/live-capital-gains-tax-ruled-out-by-government-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern-tax-working-group

Does Bridges even contest the next election or does National try to make a play to change things up?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 03:09:47 AM »

Congratulations on your second dose, but I really don't think New Zealand should open to Americans ever again. My country is depraved, and there's a solid floor of 30% that won't get the vaccine no matter what.

That number is much higher than that. Republicans make up about 45% of the country. 100% of Republicans will never get vaccinated for COVID.

I know it's pointless responding to you people but I feel obligated to point out that the percentage of the country that is not yet fully vaccinated is below 45%. The number of Americans without even one dose is one-third and dropping - will probably go below 30% in December sometime.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 02:12:46 AM »

There have been only 2 occasions since MMP has been introduced in New Zealand that an incumbent government that had lagged in a poll has been re-elected.

I don't think this statistic means anything near as much as you think. There have also only been three occaisons since MMP was indtroduced that an incumbent government has lost under any polling condition. So there having been two separate times that polls have incorrectly predicted an opposition win in that time span is a fairly bad statistic to have if you're the opposition.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 06:51:31 AM »

Chloe Swarbrick set to replace resigning James Shaw as Green Party co-leader
Green MP Chlöe Swarbrick has announced she will run for the Green Party’s leadership.

Swarbrick confirmed she would contest the co-leadership position from Parliament today, saying that in the three days since James Shaw announced he was stepping down from the role, people had asked her to put her name forward for it.

“I’m stepping up,” Swarbrick said, after acknowledging she’s had conversations with all of her caucus alongside family and friends.

Swarbrick is the only declared candidate so far. Green MP Julie Anne Genter, who ran for the co-leadership in 2018 confirmed to the Herald, she would not be running. Other members of caucus had not put their hands up.

The co-leadership is decided by Green Party members. By convention, MPs do not say who they are supporting or endorse particular candidates.

She promised to grow the Green Party and revealed her ultimate goal: “the nation’s first Green-led government.”

“I am a proud member of the Green Party. More than any other party we understand that there is far greater leadership out there in the community than there is in the so-called halls of power. I am here to serve my communities. Over the past three days, they have asked me to stand up and put myself forward for this role,” Swarbrick said.

Swarbrick noted her wins in Auckland Central and other electorate wins in the latest election as examples of the party’s achievements, and that “bad things happen when good people stand idly by.”

She's a talented politician, who has long been hyped as a future party leader. She is more of an activist than Shaw, but that there are pros and cons to it. As a 29 year old she fits the party's target demographic, but her two electorate wins in Auckland Central (which National held from 2008-2020) show she isn't toxic to the general public. I'd already expect Green support to surge with them having done well in the election and Labour sinking into opposition, but this probably pushes ahead a poll-based panic within Labour.

This one could be seen coming from light-years away, yes. I am, curious, though -  I thought the Green's co-leadership was split by gender as a matter of rule, yet she's replacing Shaw?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies