1976: America's Reaction Signups
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:22:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: America's Reaction Signups
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 1976: America's Reaction Signups  (Read 2681 times)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »

Ray Kroc to run for President!

The founder of McDonald's and America's most successful businessman Ray Kroc has announced that he will be running for the Republican nomination for President of the United States.

America needs a true conservative outsider to bring honor and dignity back to this country! I am not a career politician and because of that, I am the true outsider in this race!

Under my watch, McDonald's has become America's favourite restaurant. We are one of the biggest companies in America, employing millions of people across the nation. You know how we do it? By making sure that our franchisees are middle class people who want a slice of the American dream. They want to become businessmen in their own right. We have them that opportunity.

Our government has lied to us repeatedly,  and It's time for a principled, outsider  conservative to take the reins of this nation. That is why I am running for President.

What will I accomplish as President? I will cut the taxes of every American. I will stop the government regulating our people to within an inch of their lives. We must foster a culture of self-reliance and personal responsibility in this country again. We must rebuild our entrepreneurial spirit.

I ask for your support to put an outsider inside the White House to restore honor to this country!
Cabbage
DatGOTTho
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: 0.52

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »

BENTSEN FOR PRESIDENT
August 3, 1975, Houston

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2019, 01:28:14 PM »

Edward Brooke Announcement Speech, February 8th, 1975.

'Brooke, for a Greater America!'

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 02:02:09 PM »

George Wallace Announcement, September 8th, 1975.

'Wallace, a America for All!'

YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »

Can we have a Pre-game poll to see our standings?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:10 PM »

I'll put up a pre-game extensive coverage of the candidates' standings, region-by-region polling, the primary schedule, and whatnot either tonight or tomorrow.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:48 PM »

I'll put up a pre-game extensive coverage of the candidates' standings, region-by-region polling, the primary schedule, and whatnot either tonight or tomorrow.

Alright, thanks!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »

Edmund Muskie Announces Bid For Presidency
July 4, 1975, Mt. Desert Isle, Maine

[quote]
(Crowd chanting: “WE WANT MUSKIE”)

Thank you! Thank you all.

Four years ago I embarked on a campaign for the Presidency. A campaign where I began as the favorite, but did not win. The pundits blamed my show of emotion in defense of the slanderous lies being published about my beloved wife Jane, and about my Francophone constituents.

Allow me to say this: emotion in defense of truth and justice is a virtue, not a vice!

(Crowd cheers)

Because the fights we are facing are emotional. Yes, they’re about the facts of the matter. But it is an emotional issue, too, when poison comes out of your faucets, when the air at your children’s schools chokes them, when you are treated differently because of the color of your skin or the god you worship, or your gender, or your sex. These are emotional issues and they need emotional responses.

When we discovered the depth of the Watergate Scandal, the nation was outraged that a man who so many put their trust in less than two years prior could be so corrupt. But his handpicked successor still sits in the White House today. His handpicked successor issued blanket pardons. That is an outrage. That is a violation of truth and a violation of justice.

(Crowd cheers).

We are far from the best America we can be. These past few years have proven it. But the best America we can be is within our grasp. We just have to reach for it. We can ensure our planet is safe for future generations. We can expand equality, and enshrine it in the constitution. We can commit to openness and truthfulness from all levels of government.

It is those three points that have been my north star in my life. It is those three points that continue to guide me. It is those three points, those pillars of a great America, that have pointed me towards my next step.

My friends, I stand before you today a candidate for President of the United States.

(Crowd cheers for several minutes)

Because we need a President who understands pollution’s impact on our most vulnerable. We need a President who wrote the Clean Air Act and Clean Warer Act!

(Crowd cheers).

Because we need a President who understands equality doesn’t just come from the stroke of an executive pen, it comes from changing minds and changing presumptions!

(Crowd cheers).

And, on the topic of equality, let me state for once and for all, in case there was any doubt: Je suis fier que les francophones soient ici dans notre État!

(Crowd cheers).

Je suis fier que notre état du Maine soit bilingue!

(Crowd cheers).

So let me state for once and for all: under President Muskie, The Equal Rights Amendment will be ratified!

(Crowd cheers for several minutes).

In my life, not just my political life, but in my personal life, too, I’ve tried to live by a code. And the first rule of that code is “tell the truth”. And I believe that is the least we can ask for from our nation’s highest officeholder. So I stand before you today, committed to telling you the truth as a candidate and, god willing, as a President.

(Crowd cheers).

And I can commit to you that I will never pardon any of my ‘friends’ if they commit crimes.

(Crowd cheers).

The Presidential pardon is meant to be used in extraordinary circumstances and in the interest of justice. The current administration has already shown they are incapable of using it with discretion.

(Crowd cheers).

My friends, as we embark on this journey, let’s dispel the old Maine neologism, and declare with hearts full and voices strong, we can get there from here!

(Crowd cheers for several minutes).

Thank you! God bless you! God bless America! Merci beaucoup!
terp40hitch
United States

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 06:14:30 PM »

Senator Gravel Makes Suprise Run For Presidency
Burlington VT

Our government has undergone turmoil, we have politicians and leaders who lie and mislead the nation. Our leaders have turned their backs on winning honestly, that is what we have learned for the last two years. We learned they make dirty tricks to win elections, lie to us as they send our soldiers overseas and then they once again asked for our vote.

From everything I have learned from Washington, the main thing is that this nation needs new leaders and those leaders won't come from the political elite. I am not the political elite, I am Mike Gravel. I will always fight against senseless wars, I will always stand on the side of peace and Restoring Democracy. I wish there was a Democrat with those characteristics in the field for me to endorse but we have not seen one in Democratic field or the Republican field. I cannot just sit on the sidelines while the American people will once again have to choose between the lesser of the two evils. That is why I will be running for president in 1976 because it is not enough for me just to stand aside as our Democracy is continually corrupted.

I am Mike Gravel, I am not the Political elite but I will fight against them as your president.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2019, 09:42:18 PM »

1. Some of you may have noticed I accidentally locked this topic. It happened while I was writing the first update for the election. I apologize for that mishap.

2. I'll post the update tomorrow as soon as I can with candidate introductions, endorsements, polling, and whatnot.

3. I urge those who haven't, on both sides, to request early endorsements and do opening speeches. It will help your early polling numbers.
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2019, 04:03:02 AM »

Governor Brown announces 1976 campaign

September 1st 1975, Sacramento, CA

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2019, 07:40:39 PM »

Saturday, November 1, 1975

1976 Campaign Starts to Heat Up

Exactly one year from tomorrow, on November 2, 1976, the last presidential election of this tumultuous decade shall be held. Under the shadow of the Democratic sweep of 1974, Watergate, Vietnam, the rejection of "acid, amnesty, and abortion", and faint signs of an economic recovery, how will the nation react?

With President Ford not yet having made any conclusive statement on whether he will run for re-election, and with two consecutive presidential losses on the Democratic side, the campaign is wide open and the Oval Office is anyone's game. Many different personalities and visions are duking it out on both parties, and it is impossible to assert at this point which one will prevail.

Today, we dive in on the Republican side of things:

The first candidate to declare was Massachusetts Senator Edward Brooke. A luminary among African-Americans, he is at the forefront of what some call a dying breed of Republicans. Striking in his announcement speech a quasi-populist tone, he is performing in a spectacularly strong way among the moderate Northeastern and Midwestern Republicans who supported Vice-President Rockefeller in his own campaign.

He has also attracted significant support among mainstream Republicans, such as influential Senator Howard Baker, who gave him his endorsement calling him "the kind of Republican who can lead:a believer in everyone's potential and future."

His strength is mainly located in the suprascript areas, but he has also attracted huge support among the rapidly waning African-American Republican community. Can he keep the good times going?

CIA Director George Bush, who ascended to his position after the resignation of William Colby in January of this year*, has also emerged as a major candidate on the Republican side. He has a stellar resume (even if mixed in with some complaints that he's always the bridesmaid, never the bride), probably the most or second-most experienced candidate on the Republican side. In the wake of Watergate, however, it is up to him to play that as a strength.

Despite these complaints, he has fanatical support among mainstream Republicans, and is expected to catch a very significant portion of President Ford's potential base. He is seen as a capable leader and a steady pair of hands, which-his proponents assure-is the best way to ensure a national recovery from the ills of the early decade. Will he embrace this label or emerge as more of a trailblazer? He has many options to capitalize on his early support across the nation.

He has attracted the endorsement, at this point, of at least one main Republican player, despite his relatively silent campaign. Minority Leader of the Senate Hugh Scott proclaimed his support for Director Bush, stating that he "is the best person a Republican majority will be able to work with in 1977. Director Bush...will be a capable and experienced leader, something America needs."

A rapidly growing component of the Republican base is the conservative portion of it. A steadily growing component of a new GOP coalition, there are murmurs that that which spelled out doom for Senator Goldwater may be the key to victory for a new candidate. Therefore, it is only natural that conservative darling California Governor Ronald Reagan would join the Republican race. His warm smile and friendly tone belie that ideology reviled and despised by some but fanatically followed by others. His talents as a public speaker, proved when they gave him the California governorship, will be put to the test as he campaigns for the highest office in the land. Can he turn the tables on the classic notion and make the unelectable finally palatable?

He attracts the early support of a man who has been many times described as one of the Governor's closest friends: Nevada Senator Paul Laxalt. The Senator, who is Mr. Reagan's ideological confrère, lent his support claiming "Governor Reagan will be the President who believes that every American has the potential to become something of themselves by themselves. He will achieve... each individual's promise".

His fervent support across the West and South would have been the kiss of death but a few years ago. Are they now a winning coalition?

Last but not least in the Republican race is businessman Ray Kroc, who emerges as a dark horse contender for the nomination. Striking a conservative tone with some individualistic undertones-quite appropriate and humanizing, given his background-he claims to speak to every American's potential. Is his the tone to strike among great distrust in political institutions? Can he make the case to every American that he will be their leader?

Already attracting the support of influential Senator Bob Dole, he is speaking to a great many Americans who are finding his tone and background appealing in the present circumstances. Senator Bob Dole called him "a proved fighter who will fight for us as President. Mr. Kroc is the leader America needs in these crucial times."

With a race forming between what at this time is four appealing, diverse candidates, the nomination is all but certain, and the different paths presented to the Republican electorate are quite distinct in their vision and tone. The New York Times has some regional and national polling for this time:

First week of November 1975-National Republican Polling:

Governor Ronald Reagan: 21%
Senator Edward Brooke: 20%
Businessman Ray Kroc: 18%
Director George Bush: 15%
Undecideds: 26%

The nationwide polling reveals a Republican Party deeply fragmented on the direction it wants to take. The nomination is most unclear at this time.

First week of November 1975-Northeast Republican Polling:

Senator Edward Brooke: 28%
Director George Bush: 21%
Businessman Ray Kroc: 19%
Governor Ronald Reagan: 15%
Undecideds: 17%

The Northeast has a distinct advantage for Senator Brooke, with the other candidates lagging behind. The conservatism espoused by Mr. Kroc and Governor Reagan is particularly toxic in the region, although Director Bush and Mr. Kroc could very well find an opening here.

First week of November 1975-Midwest Republican Polling:

Businessman Ray Kroc: 19%
Senator Edward Brooke: 18%
Director George Bush: 16%
Governor Ronald Reagan: 14%
Undecideds: 33%

The fragmented nature of the Republican primary is most evident in the Midwest, where no candidate breaks 20% and there is only a 5% difference between the leader and the candidate in last place. Mr. Kroc's big support in the Plain States seem enough to grant him a small one percent lead, while Senator Brooke and Director Bush compete for support in moderate, urban and suburban areas and Governor Reagan comes closely behind.

First week of November 1975-South Republican Polling:

Governor Ronald Reagan: 28%
Director George Bush: 21%
Businessman Ray Kroc: 18%
Senator Edward Brooke: 13%
Undecideds: 21%

In the old (but rapidly changing) Democratic bastion of the South, Governor Reagan's lead is quite significant. He intends to capitalize on his popularity in a region where he made many friends during the last decade and where he has a quite popular image and ideology. The other candidates intend to capture the moderate, mainstream Republican vote (for Director Bush), cut upon Reagan's lead with conservatives (for Mr. Kroc) or capture the votes of a rapidly thinning liberal Republican demographic.

First week of November-West Republican Polling

Governor Ronald Reagan: 20%
Senator Edward Brooke: 17%
Businessman Ray Kroc: 17%
Director George Bush: 13%
Undecideds: 33%

The West, like the Midwest, is still anyone's game. The diversity in the States included in the region is immense, preventing the proper identification of an absolute frontrunner. However, Governor Reagan and Mr. Kroc benefit from their hailing from this region.

Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »

I'll publish the Democratic update soon!
ASPN
Dr_Novella

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2019, 10:34:36 PM »

Sounds good, enjoying the write ups so far.I assume a separate game play thread will be set up afterwards?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2019, 11:30:36 PM »

Sounds good, enjoying the write ups so far.I assume a separate game play thread will be set up afterwards?

Yes, it'll open on the 8th.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »

Frank Church Announcement Speech-Idaho City, Idaho

"These last few years, we have seen our nation in turmoil. We have seen a war started on questionable grounds begin and end. We have witnessed our government abuse the power the people have given it. We have seen a President use the powers of his office for his own personal benefit, and we have seen him break the law in trying to hide it. We have seen his successor pardon him foe what he's done, preventing us from learning the truth.

While this may sound of doom and despair, it doesn't have to remain this way. America can get better. A new leader can take the reins of power and pull out of the darkness. In the Senate, I was one of the first of the first to oppose the Vietnam War. I led the fight against the abuses our intelligence agencies have committed against the public. I have continuously sponsored legislation to protect our environment.

America can get better and she will get better, which is I am announcing my candidacy for President of the United States!
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2019, 06:00:48 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2019, 07:17:13 PM by Lincoln Dep. Speaker Peanut »

November 1, 1975

Fresh Faces, Old Acquaintances, and Everything in-between
Can the Democrats Pull it Together?

There are currently 8 candidates vying for the Democratic nomination for President. They are diverse geographically, ideologically, personally, and rhetorically, fitting for a party that has tried to include a diverse range of supporters. Who will from these trailblazers emerge as the Democratic nominee for President? And will whoever manages to come out of it capitalize on the Republican Party or pay even further for the sins of McGovern? It is still unknown.

The Post has compiled a brief profile of the candidates, which we include below:

An idiosyncratic figure who threw his hat into the ring is former Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter. A deeply interesting figure, he has made waves by both opposing Senator McGovern's nomination four years ago and by having an honest, liberal governing philosophy guided by his deep Christian faith. He stands to capitalize from his position as an outsider in the deeply discontent current public mood.

Is he the candidate of the McGovern coalition? No. Is he the candidate of the big Northern centers of Democratic strength? Not at this point. Is he the candidate of acid, amnesty, and abortion? Hell no. Is he the candidate for a new, revitalized Democratic Party? Perhaps.

He does not start, however, with an obvious or enthusiastic base, and is to fight to put his name out there.

Idaho Senator Frank Church, the master legislator and darling for progressive, clean government causes, starts among the early frontrunners due to his reputation for fighting for clean government and his position as a critic of the establishment. His announcement speech struck a tone firmly putting him as a liberal, perhaps anticipating the challenges from the labor and youth interests that compose a contrasting Democratic coalition.

His main challenge will be finding a balance between how to capitalize on his outsider image while still assuaging Democrats' ideological concerns. A fresh face like his could be the recipe to take the nation out of the turmoil it finds itself in. The case, however, will be only his to make, and he will have to put himself out there.

He does start with the endorsement of influential Governor of New York Hugh Carey, who stated he was the "candidate best positioned to bring us the open, accountable government we so desperately need".

35-year-old Congresswoman Pat Schroeder is another longshot candidate for the nomination. She is known for her outspoken views regarding gender equality, and for unseating a Republican Congressman in Colorado at the same time President Nixon was landsliding in her district.

Is America ready for a female President? Is America ready for its youngest President ever? Those will be the questions Ms. Schroeder will try to answer in the affirmative.

And now, we turn from the unknown outsiders to a familiar face. Alabama Governor George Wallace has, once again, announced his campaign. The deeply controversial figure stunned observers, however, when he renounced his well-publicized racial views in favor of a more populist and inclusive views.

Can he sell this transformation, or is he forever marred by the schoolhouse door? Can he fix the bridges between him and the Democratic base, or are they too far burnt? Only time will tell, but he starts with inferior support among the new Democratic coalition.

Maine Senator Edmund Muskie starts as the frontrunner at this early stage. Then again, he also did in 1972.

The former Democratic running mate announced, striking an abrasive, passionate tone which might just be the recipe for success in 1976. His credentials are undeniable, his liberal chops untouchable.

He must keep the good times with the new Democratic base and he must ensure the voters stick by him. Only he can redeem his '72 sins.

A testament to his more open approach this year is his endorsement by one of the main leaders of the Civil Rights movement, Mr. John Lewis of Georgia, who endorsed him saying "the representative of a future Democratic Party, the best way to ensure the sacrifices we have made are not in vain, the best person to keep the noble fight going is Senator Edward Muskie."

Another influential figure who is seeking the nomination is youthful California Governor Jerry Brown. His ending eight years of Reagan rule in the State instantly made him popular among the Democratic base, and he has nice chops to present himself as the outsider the country so needs.

He has also received the endorsement of influential labor and civil rights leader Cesar Chavez, who gave a statement professing his support of Brown due to his initiatives while Governor of California.

He does have to clear concerns, however, regarding his experience, and whether he will govern as a liberal Democrat in the older mold or as a new, McGovern-esque President.

Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen announced his campaign, warning of the corruption and malaise in the DC political system and pledging to be an outsider to clean it up, echoing a tone quite important this election.

The Senator's approach to politics and liberal orthodoxy has earned him admirers and a quite prominent early endorser in Florida Senator Lawton Chiles, who expressed his endorsement saying that "Senator Bentsen will fight the good fight. Due to his steadfast support for progress and greatness, he... is the best candidate to lead this nation."

Renowned anti-establishment voice and Senator from Alaska Mike Gravel has also revealed his intentions to run for President. With a tone rallying against the establishment, he is expected to obtain support stemming from the great public distrust in the government.

He must prove, then, that he is the right leader to build a post-'70s America, and that he can work in Washington at the same time he's fighting it.

Now, we have some national polling on the Democratic race:

First week of November 1975-National Democratic Polling:
Senator Edmund Muskie: 13%
Governor Jerry Brown: 11%
Senator Lloyd Bentsen: 10%
Senator Frank Church: 9%
Governor George Wallace: 8%
Senator Mike Gravel: 8%
Governor Jimmy Carter: 6%
Congresswoman Pat Schroeder: 5%
Undecideds: 30%

A climate of uncertainty shrouds the Democratic primary. It is not yet clear who will emerge as the frontrunner.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »

Is the credits system the same for this game as it is in the 2020 game, where 1 credit=house members, 2=former officials, and 3=current officials?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »

Is the credits system the same for this game as it is in the 2020 game, where 1 credit=house members, 2=former officials, and 3=current officials?

3 credits= Governors, Senators, Presidents, and major celebrities and organizations.

2 credits= Some leading Congresspeople, celebrities, and organizations, former Governors and Senators.

1 credit: Congresspeople, minor statewide and below-statewide officials, minor celebrities and organizations.

Hope that answers it clearly, might put it on the OP.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2019, 11:28:12 PM »

Can I be Ted Kennedy if possible?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2019, 11:32:08 PM »

Yup, granted. The next polls will reflect your standing to allocate your credits; meanwhile, you can ask me for a pre-game endorsement.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »

Senator Kennedy announcement speech for president in October 1975

Fellow people thank you very much for coming I come from you to declare some that my late great brothers before hand and that is that I will declaring my run for the Democratic Nomination for President Of the United States!!   

After a half decade of 2 Republicans in the White House and a flat economy it is time for a leader that has been proven to help the economy grow and recover. We shall also fix the broken healthcare system in this country and make sure that all working Americans have good healthcare.

We need to be stop our addiction to foreign oil and become more energy independent. 

We need a new bold progressive vision for Amercia and I am that guy!
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »

If no one minds, I'm giving my early Predictions for Both Parties

Republicans :

Blue - Reagan
Green - Brooke
Maroon - Kroc
Purple - Bush

Democrats :

Red - Muskie
Purple - Bentsen
Cyan - Gavel
Brown - Church
Green - Brown
Light Purple - Wallace
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »

Isn't there going to be a Democratic debate this turn?
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »

Isn't there going to be a Democratic debate this turn?

Yes, there is, sorry, it will go up pretty soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies