Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 03:22:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 70413 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: February 07, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »

If someone told us on Christmas there is major scandal in a US state by February, everybody would have thought of JB Pritzker. LOL
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1076 on: February 07, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »

Hollywood
« Reply #1077 on: February 07, 2019, 04:20:07 PM »

Stepped away from politics for a week, and there's this massive mega-thread about Virginia.  Let's see if I have this right.  The Virginia Governor was photographed in blackface, the Lt. Governor was charged with sexual assault, and the attorney general has admitted to wearing a blackface rapper costume?

And the Republican Senate Leader published a yearbook full of blackface photos and ethnic slurs.

LOL... Virginia has become a political dumpster fire. 

If true about the Republican Senate Leader, then he also needs to go.  However, I need more information at this point.  Was he the managing editor when this particular yearbook came out or was he an associate editor at the time?   Was he promoted after it was published or before?  Articles aren't clear on this point.  How many managing editors reviewed the yearbook?  Did he approve the entire yearbook for publish?  Did he approve the particular articles and pictures?   I'll wait another day before coming to any conclusions.  This story just seems like a convenient distraction used by liberal reporters to take attention away from the Virginia Democrat Party cesspool. 

He was the managing editor, but nice try.  Norment needs to resign.  I'm sure SirWoodbury will be here any second demand the resignation of Mr. Norment after he disgraced the state of Virginia like this Roll Eyes

Not pulling anything.  I just wanted to find more facts.  Here's the URL to the magazine:  https://archive.org/details/bomb1968virg/page/32

Norment was one of three editors that had to report to an editor-in-chief, Buck Miller.  This happened in 1968, and I agree that he is partly complicit.  Who knows how much impact he had over those particular photos and inappropriate statements.  He certainly isn't as complicit as the Democrats that actually wore black face, and his level of culpability is questionable.  I think You should secure their resignations before demanding the resignation of Norment.  If you can't keep a clean house, don't tell others how to clean their homes.

Anyway, I don't think black face should be considered offensive anymore.  I would favor not punishing anyone, but Democrats don't want to let it go.  White people are going to naturally wear black face when wearing a costume of famous black celebrities or characters.  Characterizing it as racist has become a stretch too far.  At most, this has just become a symbolic issue utilized for political points.  Context matters to me.   

Just peeked to remind myself of all the good reasons I have you on ignore. Vindication!

Yeah you keep telling me.  You must have made this claim two dozen times, and yet you keep responding to my posts.  I'd appreciate it if you'd just stick to your guns. 
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1078 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »

The local news just did a story about the problems of all 3 Democrats, but failed to make a single mention of the Senate Republican Leader's problems.

That's our so-called "liberal" media.
Hollywood
« Reply #1079 on: February 07, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »

The local news just did a story about the problems of all 3 Democrats, but failed to make a single mention of the Senate Republican Leader's problems.

Why doesn’t it make sense to you?  The story about the three democrats is far worse in extent and scale.  Two Democrats wore blackface – one was photographed.  The story about Norment is entirely theoretical.  It isn’t necessarily true that he was the one who decided to include the controversial pictures and statements, because he was one of three editors that reported to the editor-in-chief.   The editor-in-chief has the final responsibility for its operations, policies, and publication. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1080 on: February 07, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »

It's kind of sad that Herring did the least objectionable thing and yet he seems to be the most regretful of the lot.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1081 on: February 07, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »

It's kind of sad that Herring did the least objectionable thing and yet he seems to be the most regretful of the lot.
Donald McEachin is one of the 2 Virginia Black Democrats.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1082 on: February 07, 2019, 05:07:29 PM »

Yeah, I know. What's your point?
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1083 on: February 07, 2019, 05:10:18 PM »

Yeah, I know. What's your point?
I was not making a point. I was making a note.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1084 on: February 07, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »

Not surprised, I've always thought Herring had changed.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1085 on: February 07, 2019, 06:42:18 PM »

henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1086 on: February 07, 2019, 08:09:33 PM »

I can't see the influential black groups in VA abandoning Fairfax which probably puts him in the best situation. And there will be reluctance for white Dems to force out the only black statewide official.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1087 on: February 07, 2019, 08:35:20 PM »

I can't see the influential black groups in VA abandoning Fairfax which probably puts him in the best situation. And there will be reluctance for white Dems to force out the only black statewide official.
Herring I think is in the best spot, NAACP almost called on him to be the next governor.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1088 on: February 08, 2019, 12:49:42 AM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1089 on: February 08, 2019, 01:12:20 AM »

Why doesn’t it make sense to you?  The story about the three democrats is far worse in extent and scale.  Two Democrats wore blackface – one was photographed.  The story about Norment is entirely theoretical.  It isn’t necessarily true that he was the one who decided to include the controversial pictures and statements, because he was one of three editors that reported to the editor-in-chief.   The editor-in-chief has the final responsibility for its operations, policies, and publication. 

Partisan hack.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1090 on: February 08, 2019, 02:35:21 AM »

!!!

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1091 on: February 08, 2019, 02:38:22 AM »

Looks like the Fairbax allegations are credible. Question is whether this can still be legally charged. But regardless of this, it makes me wonder whether the dude can stay in office and potentially step into the governor's role. Best solution is obviously for him and North to resign and allow VA a new start with Herring.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1092 on: February 08, 2019, 06:33:46 AM »

!!!

Meh. Th e only real reference to him in the frat yearbook page is about touch football. I dont think theres any evidence he organized the fundraiser so it seems unnecessarily strict to call on him to resign.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #1093 on: February 08, 2019, 08:17:21 AM »

Best solution is obviously for him and North to resign and allow VA a new start with Herring.
Agreed.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #1094 on: February 08, 2019, 09:45:00 AM »

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1095 on: February 08, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »

Oh my goodness... can someone put an end this mess? Northam and Fairfax should quit and put the interest of VA first and the Dem Party second before desperately trying to hang on their seats, where they have lost all political capital and credibility. This dumb comment really reminds me of Trump's S-hole remark. Probably it's even more stupid (to assume it won't come out in a matter of days).
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1096 on: February 08, 2019, 09:51:54 AM »

Oh my goodness... can someone put an end this mess? Northam and Fairfax should quit and put the interest of VA first and the Dem Party second before desperately trying to hang on their seats, where they have lost all political capital and credibility. This dumb comment really reminds me of Trump's S-hole remark. Probably it's even more stupid (to assume it won't come out in a matter of days).

Uh, it's already been confirmed by multiple people that Fairfax didn't make this remark.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1097 on: February 08, 2019, 09:54:07 AM »

Uh, it's already been confirmed by multiple people that Fairfax didn't make this remark.

Which sources? Kasie Hunt and NBC are credible sources, I'd say. But even if he didn't, I believe Dr. Tyson.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1098 on: February 08, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »

Which sources? Kasie Hunt and NBC are credible sources, I'd say. But even if he didn't, I believe Dr. Tyson.

I believe Fairfax, because a far-right website that spreads QAnon conspiracy theories isn't where you go if you have a story.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1099 on: February 08, 2019, 10:04:45 AM »

I believe Fairfax, because a far-right website that spreads QAnon conspiracy theories isn't where you go if you have a story.

Dr. Tyson is a Democrat, so it looks unlikely to me this is a political or partisan stunt.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies