Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 01:52:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 70405 times)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: February 05, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »
« edited: February 05, 2019, 04:21:47 PM by NYGurl »

Thankfully in these trying times we can look towards the White House for greener pastures of human behavior.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #626 on: February 05, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »

What the hell is a homephobe?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #627 on: February 05, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »

Someone who is voluntarily homeless.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #628 on: February 05, 2019, 02:35:03 PM »

Or maybe they just prefer apartments?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #629 on: February 05, 2019, 03:22:18 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #630 on: February 05, 2019, 03:32:42 PM »

So it looks like there is more to it? Holy Christ...

What I just don't understand is why don't victims report immediately?

Because for many victims, who may already be traumatized, that is a very daunting and scary prospect, and it's easier to just do nothing.

Even if you take all that away, an objective assessment may find that it's in your personal best interest not to report. Depending on who it is, there could be backlash. But even if everybody believes you, there is a stigma associated with having been assaulted.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #631 on: February 05, 2019, 03:39:48 PM »

The accuser is doing her best to discredit herself, leaking to a shady RW website that already took down another Dem. Then having clowns like Wohl get involved, I just can’t see this as anything other than a hit job at this point.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #632 on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:23 PM »

The accuser is doing her best to discredit herself, leaking to a shady RW website that already took down another Dem. Then having clowns like Wohl get involved, I just can’t see this as anything other than a hit job at this point.

I think you’re assuming way too much. There is zero evidence that the accuser leaked the post to any website - after all, she went to the MSM first. The info was already out there. And there is zero evidence that the accuser has anything to do with Wohl’s bounty. Internet “celebrities” can do things on their own, you know.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #633 on: February 05, 2019, 03:50:27 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2019, 03:55:27 PM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

This is perhaps the least empathetic post I have seen thus far.

Your suggestion on the last page:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know how you expect her to suddenly get a press conference when mainstream media doesn't care about her or some random state official. As such, she mostly lives with it since it is not a notable newsworthy figure she has to deal with, and there is no way to get it out there. She has a private facebook account, so nobody knows if she has mentioned her own experiences. Her whole career is literally gender studies and sexual assault seminars, so I'd wager it's more likely than not she has at least spoken about it in generic terms in some arena. But it's not a stain if she didn't. Time may tell.

She did not ask these Twitter clowns to get involved. She really didn't even leak to the other source, who received the source from a 'private Facebook'. All she did was give them permission to post it. What was she supposed to do? No other source would take her seriously, and you literally are asking for her to get her message out by any means possible. But now that's not sufficient.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #634 on: February 05, 2019, 04:00:12 PM »

Was the Northam incident a hit job? Should he still sue for libel?
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #635 on: February 05, 2019, 04:28:46 PM »

Exactly right. The liberal California DNC attendee woman behind the accusations is secretly conspiring with right wing goofballs on twitter to dismantle the lieutenant governor of Virginia.

Amazing thought process.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #636 on: February 05, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »

Exactly right. The liberal California DNC attendee woman behind the accusations is secretly conspiring with right wing goofballs on twitter to dismantle the lieutenant governor of Virginia.

Amazing thought process.
This.
kyc0705

« Reply #637 on: February 05, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2019, 04:50:16 PM by kyc0705 »

What I just don't understand is why don't victims report immediately?

Unfortunately, I speak from personal experience when I say that often, it's absolutely not that simple. At all.

If you know who the person who assaulted you—and the vast majority of victims of sexual assault were assaulted by someone they personally knew—you worry about what other people who know both of you will say, and that they won't ever believe you, that they'll insist that the person they know and love could never do something like that.

If the assault was anything less outwardly visible than the way that the culture tells you it's "supposed" to be—society has traditionally been stuck in the mindset that rape can only mean an armed stranger ambushing you in a dark alley—you fear that you misread the situation somehow, that it couldn't possibly be as bad as your mind is recalling it.

And I'm a guy. I can't even imagine how awful it must be to feel the extra scrutiny and dismissal that women face when they come forward. I've never doubted the credibility of an allegation solely on the caveat that the assault was said to have happened years ago. It sticks with you forever, it bounces around in your mind. And you hope that it will somehow just go away if you try to ignore it, but of course, it never does.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #638 on: February 05, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »

All the knives are coming out.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #639 on: February 05, 2019, 05:29:56 PM »

What absurdity this has turned into.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #640 on: February 05, 2019, 05:31:52 PM »

Commonwealth Catfighting is proving to be a great reality tv show. They deserve an Emmy!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #641 on: February 05, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2019, 06:07:58 PM by Pope Michael Bolton »

Even if this does turn out to be true, I called people that in middle school and never would’ve even considered the possibility it could mean anything other than “loser.”  I’d never use the word today now that I know how hurtful it is to members of the LGBT community, but I don’t think using the word in the early to mid 2000s automatically makes someone a homophobe.  Granted, I’m a cisgendered heterosexual whose prejudice against transgender folks was something that took a good eight years to truly overcome, but that’s my perspective.  Take that for what it’s worth.  

Regardless, this certainly isn’t even remotely as bad as what Northam or Fairfax [setting aside the credibility questions here] and the idea that Herring should step down over it is silly.  Also this sounds like a random some dude, not really sure why I should take him at his word.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #642 on: February 05, 2019, 06:25:23 PM »

Even if this does turn out to be true, I called people that in middle school and never would’ve even considered the possibility it could mean anything other than “loser.”  I’d never use the word today now that I know how hurtful it is to members of the LGBT community, but I don’t think using the word in the early to mid 2000s automatically makes someone a homophobe.  Granted, I’m a cisgendered heterosexual whose prejudice against transgender folks was something that took a good eight years to truly overcome, but that’s my perspective.  Take that for what it’s worth.  

Regardless, this certainly isn’t even remotely as bad as what Northam or Fairfax [setting aside the credibility questions here] and the idea that Herring should step down over it is silly.  Also this sounds like a random some dude, not really sure why I should take him at his word.

I thought the exact same thing about using the term in Middle School. In the early 80s it was ubiquitous. And usually it was a generic designation of being a loser, weird, a******, whatever. Still hateful and would never repeat it today, same as you.

But that said, Mark Herring was hardly in Middle School. He was a candidate for State Attorney General.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #643 on: February 05, 2019, 06:35:10 PM »

I thought the exact same thing about using the term in Middle School. In the early 80s it was ubiquitous. And usually it was a generic designation of being a loser, weird, a******, whatever. Still hateful and would never repeat it today, same as you.

But that said, Mark Herring was hardly in Middle School. He was a candidate for State Attorney General.

He was actually a member of the Loudon County Board of Supervisors at the time, but point taken.  Even so, I don’t think this is bad enough *if true* [which is far from certain] to warrant more than an apology.
Sir Tiki
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.28, S: -4.70

« Reply #644 on: February 05, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.newcanaannewsonline.com/news/education/article/Virginia-lieutenant-governor-s-accuser-consults-13589960.php
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #645 on: February 05, 2019, 07:14:57 PM »

Well, thank goodness it is only February.  By the time November rolls around, all this should blow over, and hopefully not impact our chances of winning control of both chambers of the General Assembly for the first time in twenty years.  
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #646 on: February 05, 2019, 07:15:37 PM »

In 2003? That just made him a moderate Democrat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #647 on: February 05, 2019, 07:23:20 PM »

Well, thank goodness it is only January.  By the time November rolls around, all this should blow over, and hopefully not impact our chances of winning control of both senate seats of the MO senate seats for the first time in twelve years.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #648 on: February 05, 2019, 07:55:54 PM »

I seriously have no idea whats going on.

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #649 on: February 05, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies