Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:06:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 67251 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: February 09, 2019, 05:27:38 PM »

An example of what I was alluding to elsewhere..
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1226 on: February 09, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »

I mean, not really noteworthy or surprising. BDSers ran in 2018/2016 as well.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1227 on: February 09, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »

It's ironic that what began as a blackface scandal will end in the resignation of the state's black Lieutenant Governor, while the white Governor and Attorney General get off. The optics of this definitely are not good for the Democrats.

I don't think removing someone with multiple credible accusations of sexual assault and rape from office would count as bad optics.

Especially when Republicans explicitly and fervently take the deny deny minimize deny route in the same situation. The allegations here are not even quite to the same level as those against Kavanaugh, but you all rode his and Trump's shock to The Bitter End. Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame.

Oh wait , none of you know the meaning of that word.

They are worse since these are actually corroborated

Please define for us how the allegations of against Fairfax are corroborated but those against Kavanaugh or not? I generally don't think you understand what the word corroborated means
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1228 on: February 09, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »

It's ironic that what began as a blackface scandal will end in the resignation of the state's black Lieutenant Governor, while the white Governor and Attorney General get off. The optics of this definitely are not good for the Democrats.

I don't think removing someone with multiple credible accusations of sexual assault and rape from office would count as bad optics.

Especially when Republicans explicitly and fervently take the deny deny minimize deny route in the same situation. The allegations here are not even quite to the same level as those against Kavanaugh, but you all rode his and Trump's shock to The Bitter End. Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame.

Please define for us how the allegations of against Fairfax are corroborated but those against Kavanaugh or not? I generally don't think you understand what the word corroborated means

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-47179976

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1532476002

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1229 on: February 09, 2019, 06:14:58 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2019, 06:18:54 PM by 136or142 »

Under the terms of inquiry to the FBI investigation they really weren't given the ability to look for corroborating evidence.

https://www.gq.com/story/kavanaugh-investigation-sham

Not to trivialize this, but the old British T.V Show Yes, Minister did a program on government ordered inquiries and investigations. 

Hacker (The Minister) believes all such inquiries to be impartial, but as Bernard (his Private Secretary) remarks, "Railway trains are impartial too, but if you lay down the lines for them that's the way they go."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1230 on: February 09, 2019, 06:17:55 PM »

Under the terms of inquiry to the FBI investigation they really weren't given the ability to look for corroborating evidence.

Fairfax’s allegations have already have corroborating evidence against him , Kavanaugh’s didnt .

Really now the only think left to do is the VA legislature should call the people who have corroborated and question them under oath to see if it can be used or not (all of this should be done behind closed doors though) 
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1231 on: February 09, 2019, 06:18:56 PM »

Looks like Dems overreacted with Northam.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginians-split-on-governors-fate-amid-blackface-scandal-poll-shows/2019/02/09/93002e84-2bc1-11e9-b011-d8500644dc98_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.07950f0997db
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1232 on: February 09, 2019, 06:20:46 PM »

Fairfax’s allegations have already have corroborating evidence against him , Kavanaugh’s didnt .

Really now the only think left to do is the VA legislature should call the people who have corroborated and question them under oath to see if it can be used or not (all of this should be done behind closed doors though)  

There was more than one incident regarding Kavanaugh and at least one of them seems to have corroborating evidence:

[A former Yale] classmate said that he was “one-hundred-per-cent certain” that he had heard an account that was practically identical to [Deborah] Ramirez’s, thirty-five years ago, but the two had never spoken about it. He had hoped to convey this to the F.B.I., but, when he reached out to a Bureau official in Washington, D.C., he was told to contact the F.B.I. field office nearest his home. When he tried that, he was referred to a recording. After several attempts to reach a live person at the field office, he finally reached an official who he said had no idea what he was talking about. At this point, he went back to the official at the F.B.I.’s D.C. headquarters, who then referred him, too, to an 800-number tip line. (He eventually left a tip through an online portal.)

I haven't really followed the evidence into Fairfax and I have no interest in defending him.  But the FBI 'investigation' of Kavanaugh was a sham that was solely designed to give him cover.  There was never any serious attempt to uncover the truth of the allegations against him.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1233 on: February 09, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »

Not expecting this, but yeah, he’s staying.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1234 on: February 09, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1235 on: February 09, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »

Same result with Franken, Dem pols/media overreact and overestimate how offended voters really are.

http://www.startribune.com/majority-of-minnesotans-believe-franken-accusations-but-fewer-think-he-should-have-quit/469451383/
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1236 on: February 09, 2019, 06:37:39 PM »

The American people pull through again! Sometimes I dream of what a paradise we would live in if we had a genuine democracy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1237 on: February 09, 2019, 06:38:52 PM »

The American people pull through again! Sometimes I dream of what a paradise we would live in if we had a genuine democracy.

They pull through by having a tie?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1238 on: February 09, 2019, 06:41:28 PM »

Given the swift and near unanimous reaction by virtually every elite & thought leader a tie is impressive.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1239 on: February 09, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »

136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1240 on: February 09, 2019, 06:46:18 PM »

Given the swift and near unanimous reaction by virtually every elite & thought leader a tie is impressive.

It wouldn't surprise me if the pile-on generated a sympathetic backlash.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1241 on: February 09, 2019, 07:00:28 PM »

Well, it is Bill Clinton's party.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1242 on: February 09, 2019, 07:04:35 PM »

Oh look. It turns out that black Virginians are not nearly as bothered by it as the media is, and that this scandal is almost entirely the result of fake moral outrage coming from white liberals. Colour me surprised.
UncleSam

« Reply #1243 on: February 09, 2019, 07:07:27 PM »

If African Americans believe by 20% that he should not step down then that's pretty much the ballgame - he isn't stepping down if he has 60% of the black community on his side over this.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1244 on: February 09, 2019, 07:08:27 PM »

I now think Fairfax is in a better position than before, we've seen voters aren't really into the MeToo lynch mobs as the media thinks they are. Most Americans still believe in due process and the concept of innocent until proven guilty.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1245 on: February 09, 2019, 07:11:54 PM »

Would be very interesting to see if there's an age gap but of course it's behind a paywall.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1246 on: February 09, 2019, 07:14:58 PM »

Better Bill Clinton's party than George W. Bush's or Donald Trump's party.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1247 on: February 09, 2019, 07:16:35 PM »

As if there's any substantive difference between the three
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1248 on: February 09, 2019, 07:19:49 PM »

Spare me from the lazy cynics.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1249 on: February 09, 2019, 07:21:43 PM »

Alt-left nihilism at its finest.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies