Virginia megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:13:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Virginia megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 58
Poll
Question: Would Democrats be driving Northam from office for his Yearbook Page if the Lt. Gov was a Republican?
Yes, of course, they're Massive FFs

No, of course; they're not going to let a Republican undo what they've accomplished.

They'd be deeply divided on the issue.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 139

Author Topic: Virginia megathread  (Read 67283 times)
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: February 09, 2019, 07:32:17 PM »

Better Bill Clinton's party than George W. Bush's or Donald Trump's party.

As if there's any substantive difference between the three

Spare me from the lazy cynics.

I'm lazy, and yet to didn't even attempt to respond to my claim in any meaningful way? Gotcha.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1251 on: February 09, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »

The same people who didn't care about Clinton in 1998 also didn't care about Franken in 2017, and now don't care about Northam or Fairfax in 2019.

Our Duty To The Party.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1252 on: February 09, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »

To be clear, it is possible for it to be the case that "only" 40% of your own party's voters want you to resign *and* that your party would be electorally better off if you resigned.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1253 on: February 09, 2019, 07:41:54 PM »

I'm lazy, and yet to didn't even attempt to respond to my claim in any meaningful way? Gotcha.

I did not refer to you as 'lazy' I referred to you as a 'lazy cynic.'  Lazy cynicism is easy because it doesn't require any thinking, it just requires being negative about everything. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1254 on: February 09, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »

It's ironic that what began as a blackface scandal will end in the resignation of the state's black Lieutenant Governor, while the white Governor and Attorney General get off. The optics of this definitely are not good for the Democrats.

I don't think removing someone with multiple credible accusations of sexual assault and rape from office would count as bad optics.

Especially when Republicans explicitly and fervently take the deny deny minimize deny route in the same situation. The allegations here are not even quite to the same level as those against Kavanaugh, but you all rode his and Trump's shock to The Bitter End. Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame.

Oh wait , none of you know the meaning of that word.

They are worse since these are actually corroborated

Please define for us how the allegations of against Fairfax are corroborated but those against Kavanaugh or not? I generally don't think you understand what the word corroborated means

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-47179976

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1532476002

What brutally hackish response! That is beep booping to the highest order! They didn't find proof Beyond A Reasonable Doubt to recommend criminal charges, not saying that it didn't happen. There were multiple, repeat multiple other equally corroborated reports by other women. If the FBI did a investigation of the second reporter, the FBI would find it corroborated by their strict strict legal definition of whether or not there's a case to put this person in prison for 10 years.

Quit being such a completely dishonest hack in order to stare yourself in the mirror and accept you support blindly the pro-rape party
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1255 on: February 09, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »

It's ironic that what began as a blackface scandal will end in the resignation of the state's black Lieutenant Governor, while the white Governor and Attorney General get off. The optics of this definitely are not good for the Democrats.

I don't think removing someone with multiple credible accusations of sexual assault and rape from office would count as bad optics.

Especially when Republicans explicitly and fervently take the deny deny minimize deny route in the same situation. The allegations here are not even quite to the same level as those against Kavanaugh, but you all rode his and Trump's shock to The Bitter End. Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame.

Oh wait , none of you know the meaning of that word.

They are worse since these are actually corroborated

Please define for us how the allegations of against Fairfax are corroborated but those against Kavanaugh or not? I generally don't think you understand what the word corroborated means

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-47179976

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1532476002

What brutally hackish response! That is beep booping to the highest order! They didn't find proof Beyond A Reasonable Doubt to recommend criminal charges, not saying that it didn't happen. There were multiple, repeat multiple other equally corroborated reports by other women. If the FBI did a investigation of the second reporter, the FBI would find it corroborated by their strict strict legal definition of whether or not there's a case to put this person in prison for 10 years.

Quit being such a completely dishonest hack in order to stare yourself in the mirror and accept you support blindly the pro-rape party

How am I a hack, I did not support Trump in 2016 and I supported Doug Jones in 2017. You are the hack not me.

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/item/30211-committee-prosecutor-ford-s-claim-against-kavanaugh

Also the investigation, wasnt about recommending charges but just a background check.

Lastly on Fairfax read what I said, I said the VA legislature should call the corroborating witnesses to testify in front of them(behind closed doors) and they can use the testimony to decide whether or not to confirm the corrborations.

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1256 on: February 09, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »

Same result with Franken, Dem pols/media overreact and overestimate how offended voters really are.

http://www.startribune.com/majority-of-minnesotans-believe-franken-accusations-but-fewer-think-he-should-have-quit/469451383/

Except that Franken committed an actual crime and was right to resign regardless of where public opinion was.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1257 on: February 09, 2019, 09:46:38 PM »

37% of blacks being against the Dem is not really something for the left to be bragging about.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1258 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:38 PM »

37% of blacks being against the Dem is not really something for the left to be bragging about.

That figure would be far lower if black voters were presented with a scenario that involved a Republican inheriting the Governorship.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1259 on: February 09, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »

The same people who didn't care about Clinton in 1998 also didn't care about Franken in 2017, and now don't care about Northam or Fairfax in 2019.

Our Duty To The Party.
LOL please. Republicans have absolutely no room to talk.

Until Trump, Steve King and a whole bunch of other elected GOP officials resign then please be quiet.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1260 on: February 09, 2019, 11:29:55 PM »

I did not refer to you as 'lazy' I referred to you as a 'lazy cynic.'  Lazy cynicism is easy because it doesn't require any thinking, it just requires being negative about everything. 

I'm happy to go into detail about how the past three or four presidential administrations have all been largely the same when it comes to most policies. Or would you just see that as 'being negative about everything'?
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1261 on: February 10, 2019, 12:27:24 AM »

3rd post of this thread makes me laugh every time.

Congratulations Governor of Virginia Justin Fairfax.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1262 on: February 10, 2019, 07:54:14 AM »

I'm happy to go into detail about how the past three or four presidential administrations have all been largely the same when it comes to most policies. Or would you just see that as 'being negative about everything'?

No, I'd be interested in reading it.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1263 on: February 10, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »

Both women and their witnesses are willing to testify at impeachment proceedings.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #1264 on: February 10, 2019, 09:59:11 AM »

I think a lot of people are starting to think Northam really isn't in that photo. But I don't know why he initially confessed to being in it.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1265 on: February 10, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »

I think a lot of people are starting to think Northam really isn't in that photo. But I don't know why he initially confessed to being in it.

My understanding is that he claims to have never seen the yearbook (says he did not receive a copy of it) and initially assumed it was the picture of him in blackface for the Michael Jackson thing.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1266 on: February 10, 2019, 10:07:33 AM »

I also don't get why, of all the photos available to you, you would choose that one to put on your yearbook page. Heck, even if they're just friends of him, it's a terrible lapse of judgement.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1267 on: February 10, 2019, 11:41:56 AM »

I also don't get why, of all the photos available to you, you would choose that one to put on your yearbook page. Heck, even if they're just friends of him, it's a terrible lapse of judgement.
According to his account, he did not have a choice in the matter.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1268 on: February 10, 2019, 12:20:52 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1269 on: February 10, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »

Good. but Fairfax should step down immediately.

Afterwards, Northam should install T-Mac as lieutanant governor and resign himself. T-Mac did a great job and is highly respected in Virginia. Let him govern the state again.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1270 on: February 10, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »

Things are heating up. Fairfax is pulling something close to an Ellison, and asking the FBI to investigate him.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/429298-fairfax-calls-on-fbi-to-investigate-sexual-assault-allegations-against
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1271 on: February 10, 2019, 04:44:52 PM »

Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1272 on: February 10, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »

Good. but Fairfax should step down immediately.

Afterwards, Northam should install T-Mac as lieutanant governor and resign himself. T-Mac did a great job and is highly respected in Virginia. Let him govern the state again.

The Lt. Governor has to stand for a special election; he can't just be appointed.

Given the environment, it sure looks like that if Fairfax quits, the GOP's odds at electing a Lt. Governor has rose.  This stuff looks horrible.  It looks worse than it is, but the guy who was recently lionized as the Governor Virginia Needs Now is the guy with the WORST allegations.  (The other two were just stupid college students; Fairfax is accused of being something else.)

If I were the Chair of Virginia's Democratic Party, I would be working to find a way to walk back all the anti-Northam stuff, take Northam back into the fold, and find a suitable black and/or female Lt. Governor candidate to run to fill the vacancy caused by Fairfax.  They're going to look bad no matter what, but I'd rather look bad and keep the Governor's mansion than look weak by losing it.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #1273 on: February 10, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »

3rd post of this thread makes me laugh every time.

Congratulations Governor of Virginia Justin Fairfax.

Yeah, if only things had been that easy... A lot of people were excited about a Fairfax governorship when the yearbook picture first dropped.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1274 on: February 10, 2019, 05:57:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 58  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies