Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:22:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'  (Read 3776 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2019, 01:49:52 AM »

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/428060-brown-medicare-for-all-not-practical

As far as I'm concerned, this completely eliminates him from contention in 2020. Certainly for progressives.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 01:52:17 AM »

I'd still take him over Harris
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 01:53:43 AM »

Then you lack vision.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 01:55:52 AM »

One more gaffe and I’m on Team Bernie. Brown means well but I have a bridge to sell you if you think the GOP will pass any Democratic health care plan.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 01:59:07 AM »

This but I’d vote for many people over Harris, including perhaps Biden and Booker.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 02:07:11 AM »

By no means. I'm not some Sherrod Brown fanboy either: he has a terrible record on a lot of issues, including health care apparently. I'm just ranking the sh**tty options the Democratic Party is churning out right now.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 02:15:33 AM »

I would like to hear more on his broader health plan for people under 55. I think 'Medicare for all' can work as long as its really a public option and just call it M4A.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 02:22:37 AM »

good
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 02:26:49 AM »

I would like to hear more on his broader health plan for people under 55. I think 'Medicare for all' can work as long as its really a public option and just call it M4A.

The Hill article says Booker, Harris, and Warren all claim to support Medicare for all. That should be more than enough evidence to show that at this point it's essentially just a political slogan that means a million different things depending on who you ask
McGarnagle
SomethingPolitical

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 02:30:05 AM »

Oof.

Sorry Sherrod. I thought you might have had a chance but you done blew it.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 02:31:59 AM »

The Hill article says Booker, Harris, and Warren all claim to support Medicare for all. That should be more than enough evidence to show that at this point it's essentially just a political slogan that means a million different things depending on who you ask

Well they've co-sponsored Sanders bill which is a bit further than just embracing a slogan. Sanders bill is not good at all and did mention eliminating private insurance.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 02:49:21 AM »

Well they've co-sponsored Sanders bill which is a bit further than just embracing a slogan. Sanders bill is not good at all and did mention eliminating private insurance.

That's what single-payer health care is, and anyone claiming to support single-payer must advocate the elimination of private insurance as a corollary.  At any rate, Booker has given extremely inconsistent answers when asked about his position on health care, and he seems to be in favour of retaining private insurance. Harris has given us all kinds of definitions as to what she thinks it means. Sanders' proposal is not the only proposal which uses the phrase 'Medicare for all', so there is a lot of ambiguity among the Democratic caucus and among people who ostensibly support it
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 09:12:31 AM »

That's what single-payer health care is, and anyone claiming to support single-payer must advocate the elimination of private insurance as a corollary.  At any rate, Booker has given extremely inconsistent answers when asked about his position on health care, and he seems to be in favour of retaining private insurance. Harris has given us all kinds of definitions as to what she thinks it means. Sanders' proposal is not the only proposal which uses the phrase 'Medicare for all', so there is a lot of ambiguity among the Democratic caucus and among people who ostensibly support it

In all fairness, a lot of M4A advocates muddy the issue by hyping the healthcare systems of countries like Australia, Germany and the UK, all of which have private insurers.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »

In all fairness, a lot of M4A advocates muddy the issue by hyping the healthcare systems of countries like Australia, Germany and the UK, all of which have private insurers.

I don’t think Medicare for All necessarily means abolishing private supplemental insurance. There is private supplemental insurance to Medicare right now, after all.

I know that’s not how Germany works but I think it’s in line with the UK, isn’t it?
Joey1996

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 09:43:09 AM »

I don't know how he thinks this will help his (presumptive) campaign. Absolutely ridiculous
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »

Medicare for All--if it's a public option (i.e. adding to available private plans), it makes the availability of good quality insurance (95% of physicians accept Medicare+supplemental as complete payment and just about every good quality hospital does as well) to those who are struggling to find affordable insurance.  This is the 50+ population, in which Obamacare premiums have gone through the roof for horrible coverage.  I know this--no tax credits, paying $1800/month for a lousy high deductible plan to cover myself and my family. 

Believe it or not, Medicare is better than all of the Obamacare plans out there.  If this became an option, it would create competition to force private payers to provide better coverage--or get out altogether.

If M4A is a wipeout of everything else, we are talking about a complete restructuring of the system (and a likely nightmare).
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 10:09:12 AM »

Our Maroon avatars everyone.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 10:16:32 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2019, 10:53:24 AM by Karpatsky »

Oh god Sherrgod the Mighty called M4A not "practical" so get ready for Atlas to call him a centrist for the next year, despite him clearly talking about the current political moment, not if he was president.

Sorry, just a quick preemptive HOT TAKE

lmao called it

He's clearly speaking politically - he says he won't make empty promises, and from that perspective he's correct, and this is the honorable thing to do, even if it isn't smart politically.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 10:33:43 AM »

groan. i guess we’ll have to wait and see if he’s still planning on running, but this isn’t a great look for him if he does decide to run.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »

As far as I know there are private health insurance supplement options in virtually all western countries with universal governementally funded health care. I'm personally not a fan of it, but it's not like it is unheard of at all.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 11:08:32 AM »

lmao called it

He's clearly speaking politically - he says he won't make empty promises, and from that perspective he's correct, and this is the honorable thing to do, even if it isn't smart politically.

Right?  I can't support Brown's presidential aspirations (not worth losing that Senate seat), but he's correct on this.  MfA, as voters understand it, is entirely impractical in our current moment.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 11:31:31 AM »

He's right
Especially when it comes to legislating and passing it
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »

Should have known Brown was a capitalist whore, considering the neolib media doesn't slander him the way they do candidates like Bernie. Disappointing, but not really that surprising.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 12:53:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lmao for all of the talk about progressive champion Sherrod Brown it's always been clear that people support this candidate for the sole reason that he appeals exclusively to white working class baby boomers

One more gaffe and I’m on Team Bernie. Brown means well but I have a bridge to sell you if you think the GOP will pass any Democratic health care plan.

If you agree that that any Democratic health plan is futile then why is this a gaffe? And if you agree that any Democratic health plan is DOA then why would you support Bernie...? This post is one of the shortest contradictions I've ever seen on this forum.

Should have known Brown was a capitalist whore, considering the neolib media doesn't slander him the way they do candidates like Bernie. Disappointing, but not really that surprising.

Poe's law in action right here.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 01:13:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lmao for all of the talk about progressive champion Sherrod Brown it's always been clear that people support this candidate for the sole reason that he appeals exclusively to white working class baby boomers

If you agree that that any Democratic health plan is futile then why is this a gaffe? And if you agree that any Democratic health plan is DOA then why would you support Bernie...? This post is one of the shortest contradictions I've ever seen on this forum.

Any Democratic health care plan is DOA with the Republican Party. That doesn’t mean the Democratic Party can’t pass one with a trifecta but it shouldn’t bend over backwards to try to water it down either (but tbf he was against efforts to water the ACA down in 2009).

Sherrod Brown has a long record of standing up to labor and has co-sponsored the House version of M4A in the past and voted for a pro-single payer amendment in 2009 before it was cool. He’s been considered a longtime ally of Bernie in the Senate (when Bernie for instance gave a 10 hour filibuster to the Obama 2010 tax cut, Brown spoke in opposition for an hour and a half as well). I really like him but I’m not sure if I trust him to stay strong and pass the legislation we need, at least on health care.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies